Pastor John MacArthur says there is no such thing as mental illness, calls PTSD ‘grief’

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟564,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After I saw his church push some easily-falsifiable lies about COVID, I don't trust anything he says. What makes you think he's not going to twist his theology in some similarly self-serving way?

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,074,867.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
After I saw his church push some easily-falsifiable lies about COVID, I don't trust anything he says. What makes you think he's not going to twist his theology in some similarly self-serving way?

For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. - 1 Corinthians 4:15

After my dad passed away last year I needed a father figure to listen to. I was listening to Zac Poonen the other day and what do you know he mentioned that very verse. Here in America you have got to watch the ten thousands of instructors. They are teaching what the teach without the natural fatherly care.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,741,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pastor John MacArthur is facing withering criticism from some doctors, Christian mental health experts and outspoken Evangelical figures like Beth Moore following his comment saying there is no such thing as mental illness.

“This is such a bad, dangerous take. As a pediatrician, me, and the people I work with are committed to children. This conspiracy theorist language re ADHD treatment making children ‘addicts’ or ‘criminals’ is wrong, & has no data to support it,” Dr. Stephen Patrick, incoming professor and chair of health policy and management at Emory University’s Rollins School of Public Health, said in a statement on X. “Beyond that it’s another attack on pediatricians/healthcare providers … and those attacks are taking a tangible toll on pediatricians/nurses/healthcare providers.”

Though more than one in five U.S. adults live with a mental illness, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and more than one in five youth (ages 13-18) either currently or at some point during their life have had a seriously debilitating mental illness, MacArthur, who leads Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California, claimed just days before the start of Mental Health Awareness Month in May that mental illness isn’t real.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,143,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This pastor is a false prophet. He needs to read John. Here is the church's website, if anyone wants to contact his church condemning his false teachings: Contact | Grace Community Church

John 9:1-3: "As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, ‘Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?’ Jesus answered, ‘It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.’"

From all I've read and heard from MacArthur in the past, I don't think he's a false prophet. It's more that he's been a leader within the "Bible Church" for most of his life, which is a denomination with a stiff, Calvinistic theology that is sort of like Southern Baptists on steroids.

MacArthur has always been against what he views are tendencies toward cultural accommodation(s) within Christianity, with the averring of modern psychology being one of those things he's suspicious of. As is usual for folks in his denomination, and in line with his denomination's theology, I think his theology prevents him from giving secular fields of science a fair hearing and he then overcompensates and over-reacts for the "sake of Christ and of the Truth."

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From all I've read and heard from MacArthur in the past, I don't think he's a false prophet. It's more that he's been a leader within the "Bible Church" for most of his life, which is a denomination with a stiff, Calvinistic theology that is sort of like Southern Baptists on steroids.

MacArthur has always been against what he views are tendencies toward cultural accommodation(s) within Christianity, with the averring of modern psychology being one of those things he's suspicious of. As is usual for folks in his denomination, and in line with his denomination's theology, I think his theology prevents him from giving secular fields of science a fair hearing and he then overcompensates and over-reacts for the "sake of Christ and of the Truth."
Wow, sucked into a cult bro. This guy is unbiblical, and unscientific. Yeah, accommodating everything is bad, but at the same time, he has got to realize that humans have more knowledge.

Daniel 12:4 - "But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase."

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,143,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow, sucked into a cult bro. This guy is unbiblical, and unscientific. Yeah, accommodating everything is bad, but at the same time, he has got to realize that humans have more knowledge.

Daniel 12:4 - "But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase."

Sucked into a cult? I really hope you're not imputing that statement to me, Alex. ^_^ I've never been a part of a cult in my entire life.

Despite his overly staunch and dogmatic position, MacAruthur did some good work back in the 1990's by citing errors of thinking among leaders in the Charismatic churches and the Faith Movement. Obviously, I don't agree with him on quite a few things, but that doesn't mean I think he's a false prophet. Personally, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt before applying that label to them. At the moment, it's only folks like Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses, or similar groups who mess with the Trinity, whom I apply that label to.

On some level, Alex, I've found that everyone of us is "unbiblical" and that there is no perfect denomination one can join. If the 'Bible Church' is a cult, then so are many Protestant denominations who hold a similar theology to theirs.

As an educated philosopher, I'm personally more open to the fact that we human beings can't help but to have differences among ourselves due to our individual perceptions and experiences, our education levels, and our diverse feelings about a wide array of social and political topics. Then too, being that I grew up having to deal with a schizophrenic mother, maybe I'm just more accustomed to expect that a person can have serious and severe difficulties with dealing with religion, and sometimes the sciences (like psychology and neuroscience) really are helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sucked into a cult? I really hope you're not imputing that statement to me, Alex. ^_^ I've never been a part of a cult in my entire life. I'd not that MacArthur, despite his overly staunch and dogmatic position, did some good work back in the 1990's in citing errors of thinking among leaders in the Charismatic churches and the Faith Movement. Obviously, I don't agree with him on quite a few things, but that doesn't mean I think he's a false prophet. Personally, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt before applying that label to them. At the moment, it's only folks like Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses, or similar groups who mess with the Trinity, whom I apply that label to.

On some level, Alex, I've found that everyone of us is "unbiblical" in some way and that there is no perfect denomination one can join. If the 'Bible Church' is a cult, then so are many Protestant denominations who hold a similar theology to them.

As an educated philosopher, I'm personally more open to the fact that we human beings can't help but to have differences among ourselves due to in our individual perceptions and experiences, our education levels, and our diverse feelings about a wide array of social and political topics. Then too, being that I grew up having to deal with a schizophrenic mother, maybe I'm just more accustomed to expect that a person can have serious and severe difficulties with dealing with religion, and sometimes the sciences (like psychology and neuroscience) really are helpful.
That is understandable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,143,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is understandable.

But yeah, it's too bad when a person's denominational flavor of theology makes it difficult for him/her to be gracious and empathetic, even understanding and loving, toward other people.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But yeah, it's too bad when a person's denominational flavor of theology makes it difficult for him/her to be gracious and empathetic, even understanding and loving, toward other people.
That, we can both agree on. Anyways, I have to head to church now. Haven't gone in a while, cos of inertia (I chat on this forum a lot, and when I am not here, I watch Star Trek DS9).

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟7,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
images - 2024-04-24T135053.638.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums