Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Okay, I'll take your word for it - tho' not generally the impression one gets this side of the Atlantic! (You mean it used to be worse ???)

I can't believe that you are bashing some place that is known globally for it's high population of Christians. Are you a Christian?

Tho' I'd be happy to debate specifics - and reserve the right to point out the fallacies which masquerade as Christianity, while avoiding the temptation to generalise about which areas of America hold to such views!

I never said the US is perfect, but generalized attacks to it's character will not be responded to since I am currently in the military. Besides, I'm frankly tired of it anyway. I've come to grips that 90% of the people throughtout the world pretty much despise everything this nation is, therefore despise what I work every day for and gave 6 years of my life in service of.

Hey, I though I was the judgemental one around here

Have you ever been to California? That's where I'm from.

Not to say that I believe that Capitalism is the evil goblin of economics, but California's a breeding ground for corporate fat-cats.

Zach

Upvote 0

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
Originally posted by coastie
I can't believe that you are bashing some place that is known globally for it's high population of Christians.
All I'm saying is that all that bristles with Bible verses isn't necessarily Christlike. (Check out His words about those who call him 'Lord'!) Christian is as Christian does.

Are you a Christian?
By whose definition!?!

I certainly believe that my sins are forgiven through faith in the sacrifice of Christ, that he has set me apart for good works, and I attempt to find out what he requires of me and to live accordingly. Does that qualify?

If, occasionally, I point out that some 'Christians' have very strange ideas of what Christ is about - distorting the Bible, using it legalistically, taking verses out of context to justify their actions and ignoring principles which go against their personal prejudices, then I suspect I may be in good company. (Ever read Christ's words to the religious Jews?).

generalized attacks to it's character will not be responded to
Which is why I offered to debate specifics. (Tho' I think this thread already offers one illustration of my concerns). BTW, you do, actually, seem to be responding... ;)

Anyway, I don't wish to prolong this line of thought here, as my original comment was something of a throw away remark, not intended to distract from the main thrust of the thread.

Have you ever been to California?
No. And, frankly, I've no desire to visit anywhere in the States - with the possible exception of the Grand Canyon! Not to pre-judge all Americans (I've actually met some really decent, likeable ones from time to time ;)) - but, the general image portrayed on TV and movies does little to recommend the overall cuture to me. But perhaps that's largely a matter of personal taste.

Anthony

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
All I'm saying is that all that bristles with Bible verses isn't necessarily Christlike. (Check out His words about those who call him 'Lord'!) Christian is as Christian does.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Could you rephrase please?

I certainly believe that my sins are forgiven through faith in the sacrifice of Christ, that he has set me apart for good works, and I attempt to find out what he requires of me and to live accordingly. Does that qualify?

Sounds good to me... I'm not doubting your religion, I was just asking if you were one. I'm very happy to hear that you are.

If, occasionally, I point out that some 'Christians' have very strange ideas of what Christ is about - distorting the Bible, using it legalistically, taking verses out of context to justify their actions and ignoring principles which go against their personal prejudices, then I suspect I may be in good company. (Ever read Christ's words to the religious Jews?).

Who in the Bible belt did this? I think that perhaps your ideas are reflections of the attitudes that liberal Hollywood pertrays in their more negative movies. This place is probably a lot more simple and less corrupt than you think it is.

Which is why I offered to debate specifics. (Tho' I think this thread already offers one illustration of my concerns). BTW, you do, actually, seem to be responding...

LOL... you're right :sorry:

No. And, frankly, I've no desire to visit anywhere in the States - with the possible exception of the Grand Canyon! Not to pre-judge all Americans (I've actually met some really decent, likeable ones from time to time ) - but, the general image portrayed on TV and movies does little to recommend the overall cuture to me. But perhaps that's largely a matter of personal taste.

You give way too much credit to Television. Judging us by fictional examples is really limiting your scope of resources and in effect narrowing your perceptions of the US. I can tell by the tone, that I have already been categorized.

No worries, though, because I do understand where you get these ideas. (I ought to write the netwroks a letter :))

You'd probably like me, I'm a nice guy. :)

Upvote 0

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
Originally posted by coastie
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Could you rephrase please?
Quite simply, it's not 'talking the talk' that counts, but 'walking the walk'! There are those who sound very religious, quoting the Bible to defend their actions and stand in judgement over others, yet who fail to demonstrate the spirit of Christ in their ongoing lifestyles - pompous, self-important, self-seeking and totally lacking in charitable feeling for their fellow human beings; some even willing to act dishonestly or imorally when this suits their purposes.

Who in the Bible belt did this?
Ever heard of the Klu Klux Clan, to take an extreme example? Or prosperity preachers, to take a more commonplace one.

I think that perhaps your ideas are reflections of the attitudes that liberal Hollywood pertrays in their more negative movies.
To some extent, but rather more from documentaries and the like. However, with reference to 'churchianity', I'm actually, judging more by exerpts from so-called Christian Televison - something I tend to avoid, as it leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

This place is probably a lot more simple and less corrupt than you think it is.
I'd like to think so; unfortunately the guys that grab the limelight don't do it many favours!

You give way too much credit to Television. Judging us by fictional examples is really limiting your scope of resources and in effect narrowing your perceptions of the US.
As I already said, I'm going more by American preachers' own presentation of themselves; to my mind many of them are their own worst publicists, and don't need the help of the 'liberal media' to bring discredit upon the name of Jesus. (Mind you, I have also come across some very GOOD American preachers, tho' they tend to be less high profile!)

I can tell by the tone, that I have already been categorized.
I'm sorry if that's the impression you get - actually I get the feeling you're a pretty decent sort of guy (for an American ;) ); I do try to judge people individually by what they say and do rather than by the (deserved or undeserved)reputation of their countrymen.

You'd probably like me, I'm a nice guy.
I believe you! Me too, honest! :)

Anthony

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Quite simply, it's not 'talking the talk' that counts, but 'walking the walk'!

Right on the mark!

Ever heard of the Klu Klux Clan, to take an extreme example? Or prosperity preachers, to take a more commonplace one.

Those are very extreme examples more commonly noted as from the "deep south" not the Bible Belt. However, there are extremists no matter where you go.

However, with reference to 'churchianity', I'm actually, judging more by exerpts from so-called Christian Televison - something I tend to avoid, as it leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

mine too

unfortunately the guys that grab the limelight don't do it many favours!

I totally agree.

As I already said, I'm going more by American preachers' own presentation of themselves; to my mind many of them are their own worst publicists, and don't need the help of the 'liberal media' to bring discredit upon the name of Jesus.

Some do, there are so many good ones though, just the loud and obnoxious one's that bring discredit to Christians get the press around here.

(Mind you, I have also come across some very GOOD American preachers, tho' they tend to be less high profile!)

I'm glad you think so. My uncle is an excellent pastor in the very heart of the Bible belt.

I do try to judge people individually by what they say and do rather than by the (deserved or undeserved)reputation of their countrymen.

This should go without saying. Your a pretty good guy (for a Brit) ;)

Doncha love baited compliments?

We can put this one to rest on this final word though. No matter what country you're from, which type of economy you believe in, or whether or not you like my country, you are and always will be my brother in Christ.

God Bless,

Zach

Upvote 0