With no appropriations bill in sight, House GOP keeps kicking the can (otherwise government shutdown Oct 1st...Nov 17th...JanFeb...March...)

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟491,743.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟318,376.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The White House on Thursday urged Congress to adopt a short-term measure to fund the federal government, a move meant to buy time for lawmakers to craft a broader spending deal and avert a shutdown at the end of September.

The GOP demands [to cut spending] mark a sharp break with the deal that party leaders, including House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), worked out with the president this spring to raise the nation’s debt limit — an agreement that was supposed to prevent another stalemate over spending this fall.

“Although the crucial work continues to reach a bipartisan, bicameral agreement on fiscal year 2024 appropriations bills, it is clear that a short-term continuing resolution (CR) will be needed next month,” a spokeswoman for the Office of Management and Budget said Thursday.

Even with such a stopgap, though, OMB said some federal accounts would need spending increases. That includes the Women, Infants and Children nutrition program, known as WIC, which provides monthly aid to roughly 6.6 million poor families. With food prices still high and program participation on the rise, its existing, roughly $5.69 billion budget is not sufficient to provide benefits at their current level through next fiscal year

The new White House call for [additional WIC] funding stands in stark contrast with the plan put forward by House Republicans, who instead seek to roll back that expansion — which could reduce the amount some WIC recipients receive for fruits and vegetables to about $11 per month.

[Another account in need is FEMA. 'Deanne Criswell, the director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said its primary disaster-response account had reached a dangerously low balance, now at $3.4 billion.' Early estimates of damage from Hurricane Idalia range from $10 to $20 billion.]

Earlier this month, [House Speaker] McCarthy and his Senate counterpart, Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), each signaled early support for a continuing resolution that might offer lawmakers more time to craft a full-year spending deal.

But conservatives have resisted the idea, once again illustrating how the powerful far-right lot could frustrate any attempt to reach a deal. As lawmakers departed for their annual August recess, Rep. Chip Roy (R-Tex.) — a top member of the House Freedom Caucus — pledged on local radio to “use every tool I have at my disposal” to stop a short-term spending deal that doesn’t include conservatives’ priorities.

Note that this inability to smoothly pass spending bills and raise the debt ceiling (largely due to pointless hard-right truculence) is what led to a ratings downgrade of US debt.
Crikey. When was the last time the GOP did anything constructive policy wise for the economy?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
“The Senate will not shut down the government,” said Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.). But he added, of the House where he formerly served: “I can’t answer for a place I worked in for 14 years. I don’t know what happens there. I don’t think they can predict either.”

As [the House GOP rightwing members] block the GOP’s own spending bills on the floor, McCarthy’s critics are openly threatening a vote of no confidence if he dares to work with Democrats. The latest casualty: The GOP’s own defense bill this week.

“I don’t know what they want. It’s inexplicable,” said Rep. Hal Rogers (R-Ky.), a four-decade veteran of the House.

Summing up the lack of a GOP spending strategy, Idaho Rep. Mike Simpson opined: “It’s stupid.”

“We’ve been seeing this coming for the last three or four months. I just didn’t think we were dumb enough to get there,” he said.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

House GOP strikes internal deal (or do they?) as shutdown approaches

The hope is to bring the continuing resolution (CR) deal, crafted by leaders in the Main Street Caucus and House Freedom Caucus, to the House floor this week. But even if it passes the House, it faces slim odds of passing in the Democratic-controlled Senate and being signed into law by the White House — and signs emerged on Sunday night that the plan faces an uphill battle getting through the slim House GOP majority.

The deal would avoid a looming Oct. 1 shutdown by funding the government through Oct. 31, keeping Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs at current levels while cutting all discretionary spending by 8 percent. Along with that, it would include the House GOP’s H.R. 2 border crackdown bill — minus its provisions about requiring E-Verify.

Enough GOP lawmakers to potentially sink the plan expressed opposition to the bill on Sunday evening.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

House punts on Pentagon bill, an ominous sign as shutdown looms

Once more, for those in the back: The GOP, as the majority party, is unable to pass a funding bill for the Defense Department.
Still can't do it.

House conservatives sink procedural vote on advancing Pentagon funding bill

Hard-line conservatives in the House sank a procedural vote on a Pentagon funding bill Tuesday, a significant setback for Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.).

Five Republicans joined Democrats in voting against the rule for the appropriations bill, bringing the final vote to 214-212 — short of the majority support needed.

The conservative opposition — Reps. Dan Bishop (N.C.), Ralph Norman (S.C.), Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Matt Rosendale (Mont.) and Ken Buck (Colo.) — prevents the House from debating the legislation on the floor and, subsequently, voting on whether to pass it.

The failed vote came hours after House GOP leadership pulled a procedural vote on the conference’s proposal for a short-term funding bill amid opposition from hard-line conservatives — another setback for McCarthy.

No continuing resolution. No appropriations bills.

• Informative
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Kevin McCarthy implores GOP: 'Let's amaze America' and not 'hit a tree'

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) on Tuesday implored Republicans to fulfill the very basic functions of a political party by not shutting down the federal government next month.

"We can win this argument,” he said, according to Sherman. “Let’s amaze America one more time. When they underestimate us and we get it done."

--

Shows you how low the bar for expectations are. If the majority party in the House can avoid an own-goal, it will amaze people.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

House flounders as GOP fails to appease hard-right members on funding

In another reflection of the quagmire within the Republican conference, the House on Tuesday failed — just as it had last week — to pass a procedural vote that would have advanced a bill to fund the Defense Department for a full year, a measure usually passed without controversy. The procedure failed on a 214-212 vote, with five Republicans joining Democrats to vote against it. The House also had adjourned early for their August recess after failing to strike a policy agreement on the typically noncontroversial Agriculture funding bill.

“The Republican conference of this Congress did not vote this down,” said Rep. Derrick Van Orden (R-Wis.). “Five members of our conference did, and they should be held accountable.”

“Why take those votes if [the hardline rightwing is] not even willing to support a defense appropriations bill? It goes right back to, this is the easy one,” said Rep. David G. Valadao (R-Calif.), who is on the Appropriations Committee. “If they can’t support our military — men and women, people in uniform, making sure that we’re a secure nation — there’s no point in voting any more pieces of legislation out of committee because they’re not willing to support the tough ones.”

Lawmakers familiar with several possible pathways to avert a shutdown — including another deal that could be struck between the Republican Governance Group and New Democrat Coalition — say that any compromise with Democrats would be a last-case scenario for Republicans.

Compromise? Ugh, only as a last resort!

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Remember when Trump proudly took credit for shutting down the government? (and then later blamed the Democrats)

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security,” Trump told the Democratic leaders. “I will take the mantle. I will shut it down, I’m not going to blame you for it.”

Rep. Ogles is gonna try to lift from the Trump playbook.

1695234134733.png

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟666,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Government shutdown" simply means that non-essential government services would be shut down.
With $33,000,000,000,000 of debt, it's high time for this to be the case.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,453,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Government shutdown" simply means that non-essential government services would be shut down.
With $33,000,000,000,000 of debt, it's high time for this to be the case.

Then the Congress should negotiate to cut back spending, as they did under Bill Clinton. Every area of government. And make global coporation pay their fair share.

In any case, the current cries over the national debt by the GOP are disengenious. We didn't hear a peap when the former POTUS was spending money like a drunk sailor.

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟666,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Then the Congress should negotiate to cut back spending, as they did under Bill Clinton. Every area of government. And make global coporation pay their fair share.

In any case, the current cries over the national debt by the GOP are disengenious. We didn't hear a peap when the former POTUS was spending money like a drunk sailor.
Cutting out the giving away of hundreds of billions of dollars to Ukraine would be a good start. Think biden would sign it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟666,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't really matter what happens due to the shutdown except for whatever does happen will be blamed on the republicans!
I appreciate your honesty.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,453,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cutting out the giving away of hundreds of billions of dollars to Ukraine would be a good start. Think biden would sign it?

Obviously not. Our nation made a comitment to support Ukraine against Russian agression. Of course I realize commitment doesn't mean much in some quarters.
btw, it's not "hundreds of billiions". That is grosssly inaccurate. Through July of this year, it's 75 Billion.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟666,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Obviously not. Our nation made a comitment to support Ukraine against Russian agression. Of course I realize commitment doesn't mean much in some quarters.
btw, it's not "hundreds of billiions". That is grosssly inaccurate. Through July of this year, it's 75 Billion.
"Our nation" being Robert L. Peters. He's the only one that keeps bragging that he's going to keep giving our money and equipment to them, while a growing number of people who see what's going on is ready to see a goal/exit strategy laid out first.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟184,552.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I appreciate your honesty.
Yes. Since I do not receive any money from the government for work or retirement, it does not matter to me that soldiers and other government workers would have to work for no pay and retired people receive not monthly check for the time the government gets shut down. But, it will matter for those who do not receive a check, and it will be the republicans who would be to blame!

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟184,552.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
"Our nation" being Robert L. Peters. He's the only one that keeps bragging that he's going to keep giving our money and equipment to them, while a growing number of people who see what's going on is ready to see a goal/exit strategy laid out first.
Good! I support the efforts and I am happy my taxes help people in Ukraine!

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0