With no appropriations bill in sight, House GOP keeps kicking the can (otherwise government shutdown Oct 1st...Nov 17th...JanFeb...March...)

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Senate passed it last night, and that's apparently good enough to call off any shutdown measures. Biden is expected to sign today.

It passed 74-24, with only one Democrat no, Bennett of Colorado, who I believe is demanding Ukraine aid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene files motion to oust House speaker amid fighting over funding bill​

1711207816005.png

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene files motion to oust House speaker amid fighting over funding bill​

Greene keeps alive campaign to oust Johnson and warns against new push for Ukraine aid

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene bluntly warned Speaker Mike Johnson on Wednesday that moving ahead with an aid package for Ukraine would be one of “the most egregious things he could do” as she said she was “not backing off at all” over her threat to force a House vote seeking his ouster.

[She won't accept Ukraine funding] even if it included some border security provisions.

Asked if that meant moving any Ukraine aid package would lead to a vote seeking his ouster, Greene added: “I’m not saying I have a red line or a trigger, and I’m not saying I don’t have a red line or trigger."

[We seldom see such bold statespersonship these days.]

In sorta-kinda related news

GOP primary challenger accuses Ukrainian-born congresswoman [Victoria Spartz R-IN] of putting ‘Ukraine first’

After Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022, Rep. Victoria Spartz (Ind.) emerged as a leading Republican voice on the conflict. Spartz, the first Ukrainian-born immigrant to serve in the U.S. Congress, spoke passionately about the war-torn country’s need for assistance and appeared with President Biden to advance the cause.

Now, Spartz’s commitment to her homeland is being used against her by a well-funded primary challenger, underscoring the internal Republican divide that is complicating the hopes of House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) to revisit Ukraine aid next week.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

reene keeps alive campaign to oust Johnson and warns against new push for Ukraine aid

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene bluntly warned Speaker Mike Johnson on Wednesday that moving ahead with an aid package for Ukraine would be one of “the most egregious things he could do” as she said she was “not backing off at all” over her threat to force a House vote seeking his ouster.

[She won't accept Ukraine funding] even if it included some border security provisions.
As long as it gets to a vote it will pass easily, probably even on a suspension of the rules (2/3 vote required to pass). She is not needed if a Ukraine aid vote gets to the floor and she knows it. (Hence the even louder than usual flapping of the lips by Mrs. Greene.)
Asked if that meant moving any Ukraine aid package would lead to a vote seeking his ouster, Greene added: “I’m not saying I have a red line or a trigger, and I’m not saying I don’t have a red line or trigger."
Marge is going to Marge when ever it suits her ego.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Greene keeps alive campaign to oust Johnson and warns against new push for Ukraine aid

Marjorie Taylor Greene calls on Johnson to resign after foreign aid bills pass: ‘If he doesn’t do so, he will be vacated’

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Right, everything's funded for a while. Let's give the American people another monthlong miniseries of "GOP Picking a Speaker".

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟100,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oh she'll do it, but she's got to know it will fail.

After the motion to vacate is brought up there will be a motion to table (put aside effectively forever) by an ally of Johnson and most likely some Democrats will vote for the motion to table or present and the motion to table will pass and Marjie's little political coup will fail. (This will taint Johnson with more Republicans as he will need some Democrats to save his job.)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

She dood it!

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene launches her plan to oust Speaker Johnson

But Democrats have promised to ride to the House speaker’s rescue, at least for now​

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) on Wednesday morning triggered her motion to oust Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) as the top leader of the House, announcing she wants an imminent floor vote on the speaker’s future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)