Not open for further replies.

janejenkins1

Oct 19, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
OK I am an atheist

Why should I convert to christianity?

The obvious reason would to so I could be saved from torment in hell, which I do not believe in. So that has no merit.

I am perfectly happy knowing that when I die I'm not going to be judged (fairly or not) as I do not believe in an afterlife

I ask what can I possibly gain from calling myself a christian? (other than the respect of christians, which I believe I already deserve)

icarusforde

I'm really good at breaking things.
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2008
New Zealand
✟173,523.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The obvious reason would to so I could be saved from torment in hell, which I do not believe in. So that has no merit.

One point here: If i dont believe in gravity, does that mean that it doesnt exist? If i dont believe in you, does that mean that you cease to exist?

The simple fact that you dont believe in something doesnt mean that its not out there. Its a proven fact that gravity exists, otherwise the mouse that is attatched to my laptop would be bobbing somewhere around my head right now if i didnt superglue it to the desk. You exist, simply because you have posted this question.

What can you gain? You can gain a deeper insight as to why we exist here in the first place, and why you are here too.

Upvote 0

janejenkins1

Oct 19, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
One point here: If i dont believe in gravity, does that mean that it doesnt exist? If i dont believe in you, does that mean that you cease to exist?
The simple fact that you dont believe in something doesnt mean that its not out there.

And it goes the other way, just because you believe something to exist doesn't mean that it does.

What can you gain? You can gain a deeper insight as to why we exist here in the first place, and why you are here too.

What exactly do you mean by a deeper insight as to why we exist?

We exist here to live and die, why does there have to be more? You can choose to live a happy fulfilling life or have more pessimistic views then die. How you life your life if is your reward.

Upvote 0

icarusforde

I'm really good at breaking things.
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2008
New Zealand
✟173,523.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What exactly do you mean by a deeper insight as to why we exist?

What i mean is you can figure out what you are actually meant to do in this life. I mean, i cant believe that life exists for the sake of it. Its illogical to me. Everything has a meaning or purpose in the universe, so why should we be any different?

Just because we are smarter than other things doesnt exempt us from this. I wanna know what i'm here for. I dont just want to eat, sleep, wake, work, procreate and watch tv.

If im here to do that, its pointless.

Upvote 0

janejenkins1

Oct 19, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
What i mean is you can figure out what you are actually meant to do in this life. I mean, i cant believe that life exists for the sake of it. Its illogical to me.

Is it too much to just think that you are supposed to enjoy life, procreate, so others can enjoy life, then die?
Everything has a meaning or purpose in the universe, so why should we be any different? Just because we are smarter than other things doesnt exempt us from this. I wanna know what i'm here for. I dont just want to eat, sleep, wake, work, procreate and watch tv.

If these things are not enough for you to enjoy your life find things you love to do so when you die you can say you've had an enjoyable life. then it is the end
If im here to do that, its pointless.

Why does everyone see a godless life as a pointless one? That gives me the notion that people just want to get life over with, get judged, and get into heaven so you can enjoy eternal paradise. Adding god into the mix with an afterlife makes LIFE itself seem less important in the scope of everything....
I am really disappointed when people when they see a godless life one not worth living.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
OK I am an atheist

I am perfectly happy knowing that when I die I'm not going to be judged (fairly or not) as I do not believe in an afterlife

I ask what can I possibly gain from calling myself a christian? (other than the respect of christians, which I believe I already deserve)
If you knew that God was putting the world to rights, sorting out suffering and everything that is wrong with the world, and wanted you to be part of that. If you knew that, would you choose to be involved and be part of the solution, or remain part of the problem?

Upvote 0

janejenkins1

Oct 19, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
Im not quite sure i get you there...

Everything has a meaning or purpose in the universe, so why should we be any different? Just because we are smarter than other things doesnt exempt us from this. I wanna know what i'm here for. I dont just want to eat, sleep, wake, work, procreate and watch tv.

< If im here to do that, its pointless.
>

It seems you are saying without accepting, god, becoming christian you won't ever find meaning towards your life and it is pointless to live it

Upvote 0

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If your question is serious and not simply for the sake of argument, I don't think these forums are really going to help you. You need to ask it and another question of yourself. That question is, "Why am I an atheist?" Have you arrived at that position after a full, balanced examination of both sides? Is it a personal predisposition? (That is a legitimate answer.) Why does it make more sense to me that there is not a god than that there is a god?
It's plain, simple, demonstrable fact that many atheists and many Christians (Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Republicans, Democrats, etc.) have arrived at their stance because of the opinions of others, social and environmental influences, and/or, (in all cases) "to be respected by" a group. (And you are quite correct that you should be respected as a human being regardless of what faith you do or do not follow. Better to be disliked for holding to your truth than liked for living a lie.)

Give yourself time. Check your thoughts, intuitions, values, feelings. Trust me, these are questions that science alone, logic alone, cannot answer. If at the end of your examination, you find yourself still a steadfast, convinced atheist, I think both you and God will be happier if you don't try to force yourself to change.

If, however, you find that you are still questioning whether or not you should convert, I think you should read the four Gospels of the Bible's New Testament and put yourself questions like: Did this man exist? (The historical consensus is pretty much that he did, that there was a Jesus of Nazareth or Yehoshuah Bar Yosef who lived in today's Israel in the early decades of the First Century AD and who was executed by crucifixion.) Could this account of his life be true? Could he really be who he said he was? Pretty obviously, where you go from there depends on your honest answers to yourself.

As you specifiy that your question is whether or not to become Christian, not simply a deist, theist, pantheist, panentheist, etc, etc, ad inf, it is Christ you need to study and examine. For heaven's sake, don't base your decision on what you see of us Christians! Leave aside Mother Teresa, Francis of Asisi and a few others, the average Christian is not a very persuasive argument for his or her faith. And would do very well to remember that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear janejenkins1. It is NOT true, that either you become a Christian, or burn in hell. Hell is for Satan and his followers, those of us who do not want to return to God, they will end up in Outer Darkness, without God`s Love or Light. As for living an uninterresting life, jane, you are wrong there, and you cannot possibly know, until you have tried. God gave us 10 Commandments, because He loves us. Jesus gave us 2 Commandments, which contain all 10 Commandments, God gave us. 1) Love God with all our hearts, all our souls, and all our minds. ( God made us in His image, without God, we would not be.) 2) Love each other, as we love ourselves. ( Or put it another way, TREAT all others, as we like others to treat us.) We have many years to learn to become better and better, and we have Jesus to help and guide us. If we fall, or forget, we have a loving God, who will forgive us, if we ask sincerely. If you gave this a chance, you would find that all around you, sooner or later, people would be nice to know, and it would be fun. I say this humbly and with love, jane. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Angel4Truth

Legend
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
✟65,490.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK I am an atheist

Because you were made for fellowship with God.

Im sorry that you find no other "obvious" reason. Hopefully at some point in your life you will be able to seek answers because you want the truth and for no other reason.

Secondly just because one doesnt believe something it doesnt mean it has no merit. People are often quite wrong and believe the wrong thing or refuse to believe the truth about something.

I would be willing to suggest that if you actually believed that with 100 percent certainty you would not have taken the time to ask about christianity.

You cannot gain one thing by calling yourself a christian. you would only gain if you were a christian no matter what you chose to call yourself. What you would gain by actually being a christian would be the relationship with your Creator that you were created for.

I can see where the confusion comes in though if you think being a christian is about being respected by other believers. The only person one needs to be concerned about there is Jesus Christ because all christians need His grace as much as the other. Its not about "respect" .

God is no respector of persons - we are all 100 percent equal in that we are sinners in need of salvation which only comes through Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand your question...and would give you the answer that you would understand...which is there is no benefit to being a Christian...that can be measured in any way...there are however a lot of costs...denying yourself of a lot of pleasures and normal habits isn't easy...so very few do.

Being a "follower of Jesus" I don't get anything financially beneficial (I always give away any and all excess')...I often wonder if what I am doing is the "right thing to do". I never am satisfied with my behavior...I never measure up to what God would have me do and never will. It isn't an easy lifestyle at all...never able to be what I would think is a "successful Christian"

Even if things are as you say and Heaven and Hell are just myths (they ain't but just for the sake of argument here)...I still won't give up the lifestyle that I now lead...I fight the good fight of battling my own personal Satan. (BTW I stink at following rules) Many can't say that...they give into most every want and desire as well as cower in the face of every fear...as people get old these things will control them more than anything and no one can help them...but I still will be free. Still will be loved and be sought after by the Creator of the universe.

But just like your parents, who should love you even when you don't love them, God made you and loves you...even if you don't love Him...

Upvote 0

Simple_Mind

Cogito Ergo Credo
Nov 16, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟15,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
OK I am an atheist

Good question. Examine the evidence, and if your conscience & investigation lead you to Christ, that would be neat.

And if you choose otherwise, I respect your choice.

I empathize with your viewpoint. When I was an atheist, the argument from hell was not particularly compelling because I didnt subscribe (at that time) to the existence of such a place.

Having said that, however my disbelief (and yours) does not determine the factual existence or non-existence of hell.

IOW, given that you dont believe in hell -- that does not mean that hell does not exist.

So, if there is any chance that you might end up in hell (even though you dont believe in it), it would be worthwhile to investigate the evidence and make an informed choice (regarding the existence of the Christian God).

It is not clear to me how you can "know" this for a fact. You might believe this (above) to be the case, but how can you "know" this for a fact?

IOW, your statement sounds like you absolutely "know" that the Christian God does NOT exist, and hence hell does NOT exist.

How can you know these things as absolute facts?

I used to be an atheist. My search led me away from Atheism and to Christ (to the opposite conclusion from what you mention above). E.g., See http://www.godsci.org/gs/chri/testimony/seek.html for a summary of my path from Atheism to Christ.

As far as I can tell you dont gain anything of particular value by merely calling yourself a Christian.

However, if the Christian God is real, then truly commiting your life to him (becoming an adopted child of the Christian God, by choice) has eternal value. You will fulfill the eternal destiny that you were created for (to live in eternity in beauty & joy and in the presence/fellowship of others who rejoice in beauty and joy for eternity).

Cordially,
John

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.