• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Why does it bother me so much to take my medication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhislove

Jun 26, 2004
wisconsin
✟337.00
Faith
Christian
I was diagnosed with depression about three years ago. Ever since, I have been looking for a way to get off my meds. I have actually been off them for a few months now and was doing okay, but with recent stresses in my life I am beginning to feel symptoms again. The only problem is I can't stand the thought of going back on meds. Why does this bother me so much? Any thoughts?

fallen^sparrow

Feb 23, 2004
SK
✟16,137.00
Faith
Christian
Its really hard to say needhislove with so little information... what were you on before and what was your previous experience with them like? Are you seeing a psychologist/counsellor currently or just a family doctor or psychiatrist for your medication? Just trying to help....

fallen^sparrow :)

Upvote 0

needhislove

Jun 26, 2004
wisconsin
✟337.00
Faith
Christian
Zoloft 100 mg. I started out on 50mg, but it was not enough. I lost a job before the medicine started to work due to the depression. It was prescribed by a family doctor. When it started to work, it worked well. The only problem that was not resolved from it was my memory. I have a very poor memory. I really don't know why it bothers me to take it. Anyway, I am starting to have problems focusing on things. I am not crying all the time like I used to. Lots of anger, though.Praying helps. Coming here helps. Maybe this time it is just plain stress and not depression.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The most effective treatment for depression is the combination of meds and talk therapy.

I would encourage you to ask for a referral to a psychiatrist. Because they really specialize in this one area, a psychiatrist would be able to do a much more accurate assessment of your problems and be much more knowledgable about medications and the various combinations of drugs that can be used. If you are not seeing someone for talk therapy, do look into it. It can make such a difference! You need some help in figurig out why you are so angry... and it may have somethig to do with why you are depressed, as well.

You are not alone in your aversion to medication for depression. For whatever the reasons, I have encountered many people and many Christians who do not want to take medications. I think it stems from the attitudes about mental health problems that still are common in our society. At some level, we still seem to think that depression is our fault, and if we were stronger or had a better relationship with Christ, we would not have this problem. I think there is also a fear that medications will make us change in ways we do not want to, or we fear that we are taking them like "brain candy" to make normal life seem better.

I believe that all healing is from God - healing through the laying on of hands, or medical treatment or medications. God makes all these things work on our bodies and has allowed humans to learn about His creation so we can do these things.

I'm sure you would not think of passing up insulin if you were a diabetic. Your body needs insulin to function well and to keep you alive. If your body does not produce it, you have to get it through daily injections. Your body is in need of certian elements to help your mind function better. It simply seems like good stewardship of the body you have been given to do what is necessary to keep it functioning well.

Some people need medication for a specific time period and after they have done the work they needed to do in counseling, they find they no longer need the meds. Other people will need to take the meds for the forseeable future. The meds do not make you someone you are not, in fact, they help you get back to being who God made you to be.

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

Maharg

wanting greater intimacy with Jesus
Apr 9, 2004
UK
✟22,517.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Needhislove,

Ironically enough, I think your name is the answer to your question. You need lots and lots of God's love, just like all of us do, and sometimes we're not able to connect to that love and rest in His presence. When I am unable to accept or know God's love, I tend to need lots and lots of support from other people, and to try not to feel ashamed about accepting that support. When I've got support I can then move on.

I don't know why you struggle with the idea of being on medication, but I know that for me, medication means that I am ill, and I don't want to be ill, I just want to be me. I can't remember the Biblical reference to this, but I know that I have learnt to try and focus on the moment I am in and not look too hard to the future or the past. (Actually, to say that I have learnt it is ridiculous - I still am learning it - I go over the past again and again sometmies as though it somehow will help.)

The worse thing you can do is to fear you will bcome depressed and need medication again. If you can, focus on the moment you are in; if you are upset, cry about it, if you are happy be happy.

Much love from someone who is trying to work out whether to label herself as depressed.

Maharg
xx

Upvote 0

fallen^sparrow

Feb 23, 2004
SK
✟16,137.00
Faith
Christian
Hey Needs :)

I experience many of the same symptoms as you in relation to depression... memory, concentration, anger, etc. I think thats great your working with your family doctor with your medication and have found something that works. I would say stay with your GP but also find someone you can talk with like a councillor or psychologist. Personally I would stay away from psychiatrists. IMHO they are WAY to reliant on drug therapy and often don't have the patients best interests as their primary concern. Thinking back, I should have known better the first day I walked into my psychiatrists office and noticed that the only thing he had on his desk was a "Prozac" prescription pad and blue "Prozac" pen, lol. I was under his care for 3 or 4 months and felt like his personal drug "lab-rat". Although I was diagnosed with depression... by the end of his "treatment" I was on some bizarre cocktail of antipsychotics and a variety of other drugs to help with their "side effects"... in short, a real mess. Find a good counsillor/psychologist who has experience dealing with depression. I've found most are alot more honest and knowledgeable in what medications/therapy really DO work. From what I've seen and heard from fellow suffers about their doctors, psychiatry seems to be a pretty career driven field with a long established reputational "food-chain;" and thats not something I want to be part of again. I want a doctor who cares about me and my welfare FIRST ... not a psychiatrist and his new pet drug study he wants suitable "depressed" candidates for.

So I would suggest continue working with your general practitioner (for drug aspect of your therapy) and finding someone you can talk with on a weekly basis. You can also do alot of research on your own online into what kinda treatment has worked for others in the past as there are a tonne of depression support website these days. Aside from that pray, seek out support from your family, friends and church, and eat and exercise right. Hope this helps. :)

fallen^sparrow

Upvote 0

bnkessler

Jul 7, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟274.00
Faith
Christian
Hey,
I was recently diagnosed with depression, but my doctor never told me I was. I'm taking anxiety meds and I thought they were just for anxiety and then I later learn it is also for depression, which I didn't know I had. I asked him and he said that he thought I knew. I too am having a hard time taking the meds, even for anxiety now! I feel it as if I will be taking a "happy pill." I don't want to be unhappy, but I also still want to be able to feel my emotions. Doctors have explained to me many times that it doesn't work like that. Yet, I still have trouble with it. I completely understand what you may be feeling. It's a very difficult thing to describe though, no? If you ever want to talk more, feel free to PM me and I can give you my e-mail address or contact me on MSN Messenger.

I hope this helps, somehow. lol.
Love, Briana

Upvote 0

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I thought many times we don't want to take meds, because we are afraid that we will become addicted, or we don't like the idea of having to depend on medication for us to function properly. It makes us feel weak.

However, we are not weak. It think it takes strenght to admit that you need help, and not suffer in silence. Besides, I personally do not think one should suffer when there are things out there that can help them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It may be satan, it may be the way you were raised, it may just be a hassle...let me say this...since going on my meds, I've wished to be off of them...but when I realized what a difference it made, I understood that it was something that I needed for right now. If you are doing okay without the meds, maybe it would be better if you talked to a counselor and learned some new ways to cope with your current stresses...sometimes all we need is a little shove in the right direction.

Upvote 0

gosh

Jul 11, 2004
tasmania
✟15,113.00
Faith
Anglican
I am pretty much the same. For me i dont like to take meds coz part of me likes being at the depressed stage, i know it sounds weird and i am only just coming to understand my behaviour. When i am unwell i shut off the world as much as i can, i dont leave the house except for work, i dont answer my phones unless i recognise the number and want to talk to that person. I have a current "peace plan" ( i dont like the word suicide) i only take my meds every second day coz part of me wants to be at this place but part of me realises i am very sick and need help. Does this make sense? :scratch:

Upvote 0

needhislove

Jun 26, 2004
wisconsin
✟337.00
Faith
Christian
gosh::pray: :pray: :pray:

I understand what you are saying. I think sometimes I enjoy the depression in some bizarre way, but I really try hard not to indulge myself in that. I haven't had any suicidal thoughts since junior high, but I have had some weird compulsions. I used to live in an apartment that was close to some traintracks. Every day I came to the tracks at about the same time and usually right when the train was crossing. When I was the first car in line to cross I would start to wonder exactly what it would be like to just drive into the train, would my car be pulled along with it, and if so, for how long? Sometimes I had to concentrate on NOT driving into the train, my compulsion was so strong.:confused: It wasn't that I felt I wanted to die, though. But I went off the subject. I think what you said makes sense, but also I think you should take your meds every day. Maybe after you take them every day for a couple months, you'll stop even thinking about your "peace plan". Listen to ME tell YOU to take the meds, but actually, I do plan on getting back on meds and taking them as prescribed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.