Which Mary Should Catholic Women Follow?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,740,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here’s a hint — it’s not feminist icon Mary Wollstonecraft.

A new study has revealed that Gen Z is the first generation where more women are leaving religion than men. This shocking flip in the gender divide is another mile marker that women are on the wrong path.

I recently published the book The End of Woman:How Smashing the Patriarchy Has Destroyed Us to navigate and understand contemporary trends among women. I argued that feminism from the beginning has promoted an ideology that undermines faith and family. Several critiques have voiced disappointment that the book did not include a robust endorsement of Mary Wollstonecraft as a model for today’s women.

The most recent, by Nathan Schlueter, a Catholic father and professor at Hillsdale College, explains why I ought: “Wollstonecraft was pro-life, pro-marriage, and pro-motherhood and fatherhood.” She and other first-wave feminists, he explains, wanted “the flourishing of women, protection against bad men, and for good men to become chaste, loving husbands, caring fathers, and companions with their wives in the difficult duty of raising children.”

These elements are certainly important, but, unfortunately, there is much about the means through which Wollstonecraft thinks these can be achieved which should give us pause.

Continued below.