Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The first one is an abomination, but it doesn't surprise me, being Orange County, California. The long and sinister shadow of Cardinal Baloney still darkens the land.

In my own not-so-humble opinion, there is a time and a place for costume parties and rock bands, and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is not it. The major goal of the Mass is meant to be for the worship of God; the dog-and-pony show in the video was obviously staged for the amusement of the people in the congregation. So, reverence is out, self-gratification is in.

Distasteful and sad, but again, not terribly surprising. They got stuck somewhere in 1971 or so, and obviously never found their way out.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,774,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Men in seminary are sometimes told to remove their watches as Mass is outside of time. Not joking.
I can’t believe that priest got away with pulling that off. :rolleyes:

#2 of course.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟192,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I remember well this type of a Mass. :)
I don't have a problem with the so-called Halloween Mass. It was apparently a youth Mass celebrated in
the parish hall before their Halloween Party. It was still the Mass, regardless of how they were dressed.
The priest himself wore the proper vestments.

The 2nd video, is a glorification of the TLM, and myself, having grown up in the 1950's, don't
ever remember Mass being like the pictures in the video. The church wasn't decorated as such,
and for the most part, all we could hear is the priest and altar boys mumbling the prayers. PA
systems were still primitive compared to what we have now. Micro phones at the podium were
large and usually the speakers were at the top of the asp, so people would have a better chance
of hearing the Gospel and the homily.

In either case, both were legitimate Catholic Masses.

Upvote 0

whatisinausername

Nov 23, 2022
America
✟3,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't have a problem with the so-called Halloween Mass. It was apparently a youth Mass celebrated in
the parish hall before their Halloween Party. It was still the Mass, regardless of how they were dressed.

As goblins and ghouls we raise one voice (Our Father)? I get that it is meant to be fun and encourage youth. I used to do Church camp stuff and when they brought the guitars I'd want to die, but... this is going a little too far. Having the kids in costumes seems fine.
The 2nd video, is a glorification of the TLM, and myself, having grown up in the 1950's, don't
ever remember Mass being like the pictures in the video. The church wasn't decorated as such,
and for the most part, all we could hear is the priest and altar boys mumbling the prayers. PA
systems were still primitive compared to what we have now. Micro phones at the podium were
large and usually the speakers were at the top of the asp, so people would have a better chance

That is a low Mass, as you probably remember. That was a drive-thru Mass, to be honest. It reminds me of being in Mexico where people would show up at the consecration. The High Mass is beautiful. I don't know why there is so much contempt for it. I think it is because people just remembered the low Mass and a priest mumbling silently while mom and grandma prayed the rosary.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟480,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I had to quit watching it when I saw the woman wearing 'devil horns' giving out Communion.
I mean... wow. Just wow again.

~~~~
AND as for the priests not wearing watches because Mass is outside of time... well, it's not completely off the mark to understand Heaven is outside of time, and Mass is Heaven on earth.
Also a watch is a distraction. We shouldn't be concerned with time. We all ought to lose ourselves completely in the Mass and especially Communion.

I prefer the Tridentine but I am content with Norvus Ordo because the sacraments are real, and hopefully orthodox teaching.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟192,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I had to quit watching it when I saw the woman wearing 'devil horns' giving out Communion.
I mean... wow. Just wow again.

~~~~
AND as for the priests not wearing watches because Mass is outside of time... well, it's not completely off the mark to understand Heaven is outside of time, and Mass is Heaven on earth.
Also a watch is a distraction. We shouldn't be concerned with time. We all ought to lose ourselves completely in the Mass and especially Communion.

I prefer the Tridentine but I am content with Norvus Ordo because the sacraments are real, and hopefully orthodox teaching.
It was a Mass before a Halloween party in the parish hall. Obvisouly, people came dressed for the occasion and the Mass
was celebrated by the priest there. Should he have sent them home to change first, then go back and get thier costumes?

Try using reality for your logic rather than emotional outrage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟192,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As goblins and ghouls we raise one voice (Our Father)? I get that it is meant to be fun and encourage youth. I used to do Church camp stuff and when they brought the guitars I'd want to die, but... this is going a little too far. Having the kids in costumes seems fine.

That is a low Mass, as you probably remember. That was a drive-thru Mass, to be honest. It reminds me of being in Mexico where people would show up at the consecration. The High Mass is beautiful. I don't know why there is so much contempt for it. I think it is because people just remembered the low Mass and a priest mumbling silently while mom and grandma prayed the rosary.
I remember the Sunday Mass celebrated as the TLM.

I went to Catholic School and every Friday after school, we were marched down to the church
to rehearse the Latin Hymns for the Mass.

The gold and flare in the video in this thread, is far from how Jesus instituted the Eucharist
and I recall St Francis of Assisi, attending Mass in the little chapel that was far from the
materialistic focus shown in the video.

This is why Vatican II change the Mass to the Novus Ordo. People were too disconnected from the
TLM as it was celebrated.

Upvote 0