Visit site
✟89,759.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By itself, is this a universally true conditional proposition?

No, experiences tell us no. Let's see the context, Mat 18:

15“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone.
That's Step #1.

If he listens to you, you have gained your brother.
Step #2:

16 But if he does not listen, take** one or two** others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses.
Step #3:

17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Jesus was talking about the importance of two or three witnesses. Similarly:

19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
Jesus applied the two-or-three-witnesses rule to praying. There is a second condition: "in my name". If the two or three of you agree and if they pray according to Jesus' name, i.e., according to Jesus, then it will be done for them by the Father.

See Whatever you ask IN MY NAME.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟113,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That's Step #1.

Step #2:

Step #3:

Jesus applied the two-or-three-witnesses rule to praying. There is a second condition: "in my name". If the two or three of you agree and if they pray according to Jesus' name, i.e., according to Jesus, then it will be done for them by the Father.

This is my take on Matthew 18.

Date
April 20, 2024​
Verse
Matthew 18:15-20: “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector. “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”​
Explanation
Matthew 18:15-20 teaches Christians to first address sin privately, involve witnesses if necessary, bring major issues to the church, and understand the power of binding and loosing in prayer.

Steps to apply these concepts to everyday life:

1. Be quick to address personal offenses with those who have sinned against you, seeking restoration and reconciliation.
2. Seek out trustworthy individuals for counsel and support when dealing with challenging situations.
3. Pray for wisdom, guidance, and discernment as you navigate interpersonal conflicts within the church community.
4. Support church discipline and restoration processes when necessary, recognizing their role in maintaining unity and holiness within the body of Christ.
5. Cultivate a spirit of forgiveness and humility, recognizing that we all sin and need God's grace and mercy in our lives.​
Societal Relevance
When dealing with sin in the church, follow Matthew 18:15-20's guidelines. Approach the person privately first to share concerns and seek restoration. If necessary, involve witnesses for evidence, bring it to church leadership, and pray for God's will in the situation. For addicts, encourage professional help and support within the church community while implementing discipline processes for restoration and reconciliation. Offer ongoing care and accountability to those affected by sinful behavior.​

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

That's Step #1.

Step #2:

Step #3:

Your analysis of that leads us to the inevitable conclusion that two people in Chicago can agree that murder is not a sin therefore murder is no longer a sin.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟113,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your analysis of that leads us to the inevitable conclusion that two people in Chicago can agree that murder is not a sin therefore murder is no longer a sin.
I agree with you Mr. Tacianas, and have no idea what source Mr. Chan uses to analyze Bible verses, but some of his analysis can leave people with their heads scratching, or feel wrong. Also, @tonychanyt , putting weights and betting on the interpretations of verses makes this feel like a math exercise or a Vegas state lotto, not a Bible study. :(

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟89,759.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status