What kind of plants should you plant in the fall?

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,786,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live in SE Wisconsin (milwaukee area, 100 miles or so north of Chicago). I don't know the zone. Our soil here is VERY clay-y. When it's wet its like modeling clay, when it's dry it gets rock hard. I have had little to no success with annuals.

Upvote 0

BeanMak

Veteran
Feb 7, 2002
Suburb of Chicago
Visit site
✟2,472.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I would suggest doing some work on the bed before you try to plant anything. I am your southern neighbor ( just north of Chicago) and we have clay too. fixing clay soil
By mixing in a couple of bags of peat, and compost, you will do much better with anything that you plant there next year. I also added some sand to the soil to make it aerate better. At the nursery near my house, they sell stuff called Clay Buster. It is the proper mix of all of the above I have worked a couple of bags into the beds in the spring a couple of years running, and now I have great soil to grow just about anything.

Day Lilies will do well on the west side of your house. It will be hot there in the summer. If you plant them in fall, next year they will be lovely. Black eyed Susan, shasta daisies, are perennials that does well in hot sun. Roses would do alright, if you prepare the soil and are willing to water regularly. A lilac bush would do well there too.
Good luck with your green thumb!

Upvote 0

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
For something to eat from those beds try planting Brussel Sprouts, Brocolli, lettuce and spinach. If you do this in the late part of August you should get a great fall crop and have plenty of salad fixings. You can also plant peas in mid-august and harvest a fall crop of those too. Radishes and Califlower like cool growing temperatures as well.:)

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
SonWorshipper said:
For something to eat from those beds try planting Brussel Sprouts, Brocolli, lettuce and spinach.

That is it, those are your winter crops. If you build a inground hot box and throw some compost in there to generate a little bit of heat they will grow all winter.

Also there are some plants, like violas that are pretty cold hardy down to about 20 degrees. They do not handle the mid summer heat to good though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Icystwolf

Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
✟2,596.00
Faith
Calvinist
Orchids, esspecially Laelias, Cymbidiums, Australian Dendrobiums, Schomburgkias, Sun tolerant Cattleyas...and try Dendrobium Victoria Reginae or Hercoglossum......those two asian dendrobiums are AMAZING!!!

My Hercoglossum has started to spike, and I think my Victoria Reginae is beginning to push out some flowers.....

Upvote 0

SnowOwlMoon

Aug 14, 2003
✟514.00
Faith
Catholic
Trees and shrubs transplant well in the Fall. So if you have the space, now is the time to put in camelias, rhododendrons, roses, viburnums, blueberrys, huckleberries, crabapples, and flowering cherries. A witch hazel would do well, I think, and will bloom in late winter or very early spring. There are also some very early blooming camelias and rhododendrons--but check with your nursery for cold-hardiness. "Christmas Cheer" is a rhody that here in the Pacific Northwest will bloom in February, sometimes as early as January. It is more sun tolerant than most rhodies--but don't know if it will survive your Wisconsin winters. You will do better with cherries and roses there, than we do here (too wet in the winter here).

There are a lot of bulbs that can be planted in the Fall--tulips, daffodils, anemones, colchicum, crocus. Bulbs are marvelous--you can have flowers almost every month of the year with bulbs!

Upvote 0
No need to wait till spring for most perennials! Fall is the perfect time to plant. For deciduous shrubs or trees, wait till after they go dormant (after the leaves are gone, but before the ground is frozen.) There is no transplant shock at this time of the year, since they are dormant and winter's freeze/thaw cycle settles the plants in nicely. They will also bloom sooner next spring, since they don't have to contend with recovery from transplant shock. Your daylillies can also be divided after the leaves die back-just use a spade and cut the clump in half, right in the ground, move the clump(s) where you wish. Most any perennial will fare well. Another advantage is that the garden centers practically give the stuff away this time of year because it's tough to tell a customer that dead-looking plant will be beautiful 4 or 5 months from now.

Amending your heavy clay soil with peat moss and compost is the way to go. How much do you put in? The rule of thumb is "as much as you can afford."
One more little known fact is that fall is the time to spread lime. It takes several months for the lime to do it's job, so your grass will actually get the full benefits in the spring, when it actually needs it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums