Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We are told in Genesis 2:7 "Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being". First of all, when we see the word: THEN, we have to look at why it is there. We have to look at this in context.

We know that Adam came from the dust of the ground. We know Adam was given plants to eat. Plants that were created days before Adam was created. If you read every science book in the world that helps to explain Genesis chapter one, we would just begin to understand what God is doing. We should use every tool we have to help us understand what we are reading in the Bible, God's word to us.

John 21 25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Genesis 1:29 "Then God said, 'I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.'"

We could spend our whole life to study Genesis 2:7 and in the end we would just be beginning to understand.

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We could spend our whole life to study Genesis 2:7 and in the end we would just be beginning to understand.
"The depth and complexity of Genesis 2:7 are such that even a lifetime of study may only scratch the surface of its meaning."

The main thing here is the breath of life. I have pulmonary problems from smoking, so I appreciate every breath I take. We do know that the oxygen we breath comes from plants. We are not sure what it means that God breathed life into Adam.

This act of God breathing life into Adam symbolizes the infusion of the divine spirit or soul into the human body, giving Adam consciousness, vitality, and the ability to live. It signifies the special relationship between humanity and God, as well as the sacredness of human life.

Some say this is literal, some say symbolic, others say both apply to this passage.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,165,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are not sure what it means that God breathed life into Adam.
But we can notice that some profound information in scripture what it means to have breath from God....

22 And with that he [Christ Jesus] breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit."

2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

To have God breath onto you or into you means more than only air.... It's Spirit! Praise the Lord.

That which lives on, that which is eternal. That which does not die.

Our mortal bodies are only dust. They will pass and the dust will return to the dust.

But not our Spirit.... :)

6 Remember Him—before the silver cord is severed,
and the golden bowl is broken;
before the pitcher is shattered at the spring,
and the wheel broken at the well,
7 and the dust returns to the ground it came from,
and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
22 And with that he [Christ Jesus] breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit."
I was seeking God and God showed me Jesus, Jesus showed me the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit lead me back to Jesus and Jesus showed me God.

Upvote 0

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟13,135.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The depth and complexity of Genesis 2:7 are such that even a lifetime of study may only scratch the surface of its meaning."

The main thing here is the breath of life. I have pulmonary problems from smoking, so I appreciate every breath I take. We do know that the oxygen we breath comes from plants. We are not sure what it means that God breathed life into Adam.

This act of God breathing life into Adam symbolizes the infusion of the divine spirit or soul into the human body, giving Adam consciousness, vitality, and the ability to live. It signifies the special relationship between humanity and God, as well as the sacredness of human life.

Some say this is literal, some say symbolic, others say both apply to this passage.
Hi Diomond7 thank you for your post yes a lot to think about if we read verse 6 we see God covering the earth with a mist so would there be any dust but somewhere in scripture it says God will create man like the dust of the earth

Gen 13:16 And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered.

God breathed into Adam the Holy Spirit which goes through the whole body of believers its like life giving blood

Love and Peace
Dave

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Diomond7 thank you for your post yes a lot to think about if we read verse 6 we see God covering the earth with a mist so would there be any dust but somewhere in scripture it says God will create man like the dust of the earth
  • 99%of the mass of the human body consists of six essential elements:
    • Oxygen: 65%
    • Carbon: 18%
    • Hydrogen: 10%
    • Nitrogen: 3%
    • Calcium: 1.5
    • Phosphorus: 1%
    • If we were to calculate the monetary value of these elements, it would be approximately $576.
    • However, the human body also contains trace amounts of other elements like silicon, manganese, fluorine, copper, zinc, arsenic, and aluminum.

• Are you asking about darkness was over the surface of the deep. before God said let there be light? Hugh Ross talks about how this is explained in the book of Job 10:22.
  • The dust we read about is in the ground. The atmosphere contains oxygen made by plants that grow in the dust of the ground.

Upvote 0

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟13,135.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Diomond7 thank you for your reply the question is when did God create human beings

Gen 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

Gen 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

So were human beings created in verse 24 so when God says

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth

Human beings already existed and from these he created Adam man in his image in the same way he created Israel and Christ a whole multitude.
The question is how could God say in verse 25 everything that creepeth if there was no humans on planet earth the word everything must mean what it says.

Love and Peace
Dave

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Diomond7 thank you for your reply the question is when did God create human beings
He is doing a work of Creation in your life right now. David tells us in psalm 139:16 that God writes the book of our life before we are born, at or before conception. He gives us all of our gifts, talents and abilities and we need to use them to bring HIm praise, honor and glory. For our sake because that aligns us with Him, with our Creator. So we spend our whole life trying to become the person He wants us to be. Because we are not robots, we have choice and we make many many choices constantly. Like the choice we make to respond to this conversation.

Our physical bodies go back a lot further. Adam was created from the dust of the earth. Science tells us what is in that earth: elements. Also we are told those elements are made in the furnace of a star. A star that has to die and explode to create a solar system like the one we live in. For me I am more in awe over what Science teaches us about God compared to the Bible.

People have their own unique perspective and that is fine. For example we know that God created Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden 6,000 years ago. There are people who talk about how it took a week of 24 hour days to do His work. We do know that there was a week of 24 hour so God must have been doing something that week.

We also know a day is 1,000 years because Moses tell us that in Psalms. Just like Science tells us that a day in Genesis chapter one is billions of years. 8 billion for the first 4 billion for the second day. 2 billion for the third, 1 billion for the fourth, 500 million for the fifth and 250 million for the sixth. Everyone has their own unique perspective. Job talks a lot about the creation events we read about in Genesis chapter one. We are told Job was written 500 years before Moses gave us Genesis.

Then there is the big bang where Kaballah or the Hasidic work together with science. Because a lot of the Hebrew people are interested in that sort of thing from that perspective. THIS has to do with the question of WHERE did the laws come from. The Bible says IN THE BEGINNIING God created the Heavens and the Earth. The Earth He created on day one was formless and void but still we know His intention and where He was going. That formless void earth contained the elements to create us.

At this point it is better to let people ask questions so I know where they want to go with this.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So were human beings created in verse 24 so when God says

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth
Words can be very important. In this case the word: "dominion" is a very important word. The man in this verse was created about 125 million years ago. What people need to realize is that people need food to eat. We are all a part of a biodiverse eco system. Most schools teach Biology and we are required to learn all of this. My High School Biology teacher was a Harvard graduate. He really lit a fire in me to continue my study of Biology long after High School. He just got me started.

My History teacher was also the Principal and he was a holocaust survivor. Him and the director of the school were able to excape Germany before they started to throw the German Jews into a concentration camp. He taught ancient history based on archeology. We can see in the news that there still is conflict in the middle east over all of this. For them the ancient history is very important and it goes along with our Bible. Just like Science goes along with the Bible.

People say I know my Bible. Wonderful, now what do you know about History and what do you know about science. Have you read Bishop Usshers book written 500 years ago. Far to often they know far to little of the things that help us to better understand our Bible. John 21 25 tells us every book in the world could not explain what God was and is doing. "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."

God gives us science and history to help us understand what we read in Genesis chapter one. It is obvious on this board that people that do not study science and history do not understand their bible. I am grateful my dad had the money to put us in private school. Because the public school education is a disgrace. I was in training to be a sunday school supervisor at the bible college. So I did study a little on what is involved in education. In the church you are doing good if someone has a two year associate degree. In the public schools the superintendants usually have a Phd. They are still idiots but less of an idiot than your two year wonder preachers that so many people attend their churches. /'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The question is how could God say in verse 25 everything that creepeth if there was no humans on planet earth the word everything must mean what it says.
We need to study History, Science and our Bible to understand. The man in Chapter one was what we call a hunter gather. He ate wild plants and wild animals. People that do not study History and Science do not know their Bible.

Moses tells us in Psalm 90 that a day is as 1,000 years. So Moses tells us about a day in Genesis chapter one. That means the age or era we live in began 13,000 years ago. The next 1,000 years will be a sabath where man will rest from his works. They call this the kingdom age or the 1,000 years reign of Christ, the millennium. People understand 1,000 years in the future. They do not understand a day in Genesis chapter on being 1,000 years.

Again I would have to write a book to explain this. We need to understand the difference between wild and domesticated. So for example at the university in Jerusalem there are people with a PhD in Botany that understand HOW the wild plants in the middle east became domesticated. They do not write a lot of books. There is some speculation like when did people begin to cook their food and what sort of an impact did that have.

If you do not know what a word means then look it up on Bing or Chapbot GPT. This is what we are told: "In Genesis 1:26, the term “creepeth” refers to creatures that move along the ground. These include smaller land animals such as reptiles, insects, and worms1. When God said, “Let us make man in our image,” He also granted humans dominion over these creeping creatures, emphasizing their role in the interconnected web of creation.

The real issue here has to do with cattle in verse 25. At first man was a hunter gather. Then in Genesis Chapter two Adam was a food producer. This was the the beginning of civilization. There were many, many, many new beginning with Adam because God breathed life into him and he had the breath of life. NOW we have theology which they claim to be experts at, yet then can not tell us the meaning of one word. What does it mean to have the breath of life? Perhaps this is very simular to being born again. Because it is very difficult to try to grasp the idea that Adam was a type of Christ.
  • Adam had one bride (Eve), and Christ has one bride (the Church) (Revelation 21:9). The conservative rabbi tells us that marriage is about intimacy not inappropriate content. In the world inappropriate content destory marriage and men and women having a relationship.
I do appreciate that you are able to ask all the right questions. It does take some effort for me to come up with brief short answers. Because I do know if people want to know more then can study up on it.

Maybe we need a post to talk about the difference between the Adam in Chapter one and the Adam in Chapter two.

Upvote 0

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟13,135.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We need to study History, Science and our Bible to understand. The man in Chapter one was what we call a hunter gather. He ate wild plants and wild animals. People that do not study History and Science do not know their Bible.

Moses tells us in Psalm 90 that a day is as 1,000 years. So Moses tells us about a day in Genesis chapter one. That means the age or era we live in began 13,000 years ago. The next 1,000 years will be a sabath where man will rest from his works. They call this the kingdom age or the 1,000 years reign of Christ, the millennium. People understand 1,000 years in the future. They do not understand a day in Genesis chapter on being 1,000 years.

Again I would have to write a book to explain this. We need to understand the difference between wild and domesticated. So for example at the university in Jerusalem there are people with a PhD in Botany that understand HOW the wild plants in the middle east became domesticated. They do not write a lot of books. There is some speculation like when did people begin to cook their food and what sort of an impact did that have.

If you do not know what a word means then look it up on Bing or Chapbot GPT. This is what we are told: "In Genesis 1:26, the term “creepeth” refers to creatures that move along the ground. These include smaller land animals such as reptiles, insects, and worms1. When God said, “Let us make man in our image,” He also granted humans dominion over these creeping creatures, emphasizing their role in the interconnected web of creation.

The real issue here has to do with cattle in verse 25. At first man was a hunter gather. Then in Genesis Chapter two Adam was a food producer. This was the the beginning of civilization. There were many, many, many new beginning with Adam because God breathed life into him and he had the breath of life. NOW we have theology which they claim to be experts at, yet then can not tell us the meaning of one word. What does it mean to have the breath of life? Perhaps this is very simular to being born again. Because it is very difficult to try to grasp the idea that Adam was a type of Christ.
  • Adam had one bride (Eve), and Christ has one bride (the Church) (Revelation 21:9). The conservative rabbi tells us that marriage is about intimacy not inappropriate content. In the world inappropriate content destory marriage and men and women having a relationship.
I do appreciate that you are able to ask all the right questions. It does take some effort for me to come up with brief short answers. Because I do know if people want to know more then can study up on it.

Maybe we need a post to talk about the difference between the Adam in Chapter one and the Adam in Chapter two.
Hi Diomond7 thank you for your reply we can certainly look at Genesis 2

Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

Gen 2:5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

Gen 2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Gen 2:8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

I get the impression that this is a more in depth telling more or less the same as Genesis 1 what dose the dust of the earth mean when God said to Abraham

Gen 13:16 And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered.

So were there lots of humans when God formed the man from the dust of the earth the same as when Christ came into the world so if the first Adam and last Adam were created in the same way there must have been a lot more people in the world when God created the first Adam.

Love and Peace
Dave

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I
I get the impression that this is a more in depth telling more or less the same as Genesis 1
I studied ancient history long before I studied the Bible. So I know that the Adam in chapter one is a hunter gather because he was given the whole earth. The Adam in chapter 2 was a food producer and this was the beginning of civilization. There are professors with PhD's in Botany at the universities in Jerusalem that can tell us all about how wild plants became domesticated. We are told Adam in chapter two was the first to plow the land. He could produce food and that means a lot of descendants.

Upvote 0

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟13,135.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I

I studied ancient history long before I studied the Bible. So I know that the Adam in chapter one is a hunter gather because he was given the whole earth. The Adam in chapter 2 was a food producer and this was the beginning of civilization. There are professors with PhD's in Botany at the universities in Jerusalem that can tell us all about how wild plants became domesticated. We are told Adam in chapter two was the first to plow the land. He could produce food and that means a lot of descendants.
Hi Diomond7 thank you for your reply do you have any scripture to support what you say was Adam jest one man he was created to look after the garden how big was the garden could one man and one woman look after it on their own.
Could the garden be where the land of Israel is now interesting that it was in the East when Israel left Egypt they went East to the promised land.

Love and Peace
Dave

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So were there lots of humans when God formed the man from the dust of the earth
It took billions of years to make that dust. So it could have taken God millions of years to make man in the Garden of Eden. There are a lot of other primates. Not just man. Science studies mice and fetal pigs because they are so much like humans. At the time of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden there were maybe a million people in the world. Science says a lot more. The reason for the flood was because of inner marriage and God wanted to keep His people pure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Diomond7 thank you for your reply do you have any scripture to support what you say was Adam jest one man he was created to look after the garden how big was the garden could one man and one woman look after it on their own.
Could the garden be where the land of Israel is now interesting that it was in the East when Israel left Egypt they went East to the promised land.
The Garden of Eden is under the Persian Gulf. That is why Noah had to save the plants and animals so people had food to eat. Ancient Mesopotamia was between the Tigris and Euphrates river. The Bible talks about four rivers and with the space satalite photos we can see exactly where those rivers are or were at the time of NOh.

All of the Bible is a history of Adam and Eve and their descendants.

Upvote 0

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟13,135.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Garden of Eden is under the Persian Gulf. That is why Noah had to save the plants and animals so people had food to eat. Ancient Mesopotamia was between the Tigris and Euphrates river. The Bible talks about four rivers and with the space satalite photos we can see exactly where those rivers are or were at the time of NOh.

All of the Bible is a history of Adam and Eve and their descendants.
Hi Diomond7 thank you for you reply reminds me of this

Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure

The beginning is Genesis so in Genesis he tells us the end I take that is the end of creation man in the image of God Jesus Christ.

Love and Peace
Dave

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Diomond7 thank you for you reply reminds me of this

Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure

The beginning is Genesis so in Genesis he tells us the end I take that is the end of creation man in the image of God Jesus Christ.
Yes all of the Bible explains the word Beginning. Even the first letter in the word tells us Gods desire to be a part of his creation.

This goes along with

Jeremiah 1:12 when we are told God watches over His word to perform what HE says He will do.​

Upvote 0