What is your definition of "successful"?

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
Stanfi said:
Ok, when you say that someone is successful, what is it about them that you are referring to? What attributes, qualties, or achievements make someone sucessful?
IMHO that is subjective and varies from person to person and situation to situation.

For someone to pass one exam may be an achievement and a great success for them, while for another it may be getting a doctorate.

It may not be academic at all, it may be a sporting or musical success, etc, or gaining an award such as a Duke of Edinburgh Award.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,786,418.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think what makes a person successful or not is what they did with the gifts God gave them.

It's not about money, status, the benefits package, or the great retirement at the end of it all. If you've done the best you could do with the talents and interests God gave you, and you have been obedient to Him, and you have given the glory to God, that is what I consider success.

Now, after I've said all that, can I say that for myself? Not really. But it's not too late:).

Upvote 0

oat02351

Senior Veteran
Oct 3, 2004
Massachusetts
✟7,652.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Stanfi said:
Ok, when you say that someone is successful, what is it about them that you are referring to? What attributes, qualties, or achievements make someone sucessful?
sucessful to me is Finding true happiness, monatary things take a back seat in my way of thinking. If someone doesn't make much money(hopefully enough) but loves thier job who can say they actually look forward to going to work? If you can love a job and make money, that's all good just so long as you are happy. If a couple lives in a shack but, has a sucessful and loving marriage who could say they are unsucessful.
I concider myself sucessful because I started driving a year and half ago after not doing so for 10 years. I concider myself blessed for finding the right man and the right house to suit us and our budgets perfectly and in a good neighborhood. (no, it's not a shack but, small:D ) we are in between to big nice houses on a quiet street. He has full time job, I have a full time job. We don't have cable but, we have sucess in all the things that matter most ...to me

Upvote 0

CountryLady

Oct 24, 2005
✟18,869.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To me I guess it would depend on what's important to each person. I think I'm successful, after a long struggle after my late husband passed away, my heart is at peace now. To me I feel successful to be able to let go and move on, that's not only important to me, but my son as well.

Upvote 0

puppy

loves you
Jul 8, 2004
scotland
Visit site
✟14,345.00
Faith
Anglican
oat02351 said:
sucessful to me is Finding true happiness, monatary things take a back seat in my way of thinking. If someone doesn't make much money(hopefully enough) but loves thier job who can say they actually look forward to going to work? If you can love a job and make money, that's all good just so long as you are happy. If a couple lives in a shack but, has a sucessful and loving marriage who could say they are unsucessful.
I concider myself sucessful because I started driving a year and half ago after not doing so for 10 years. I concider myself blessed for finding the right man and the right house to suit us and our budgets perfectly and in a good neighborhood. (no, it's not a shack but, small:D ) we are in between to big nice houses on a quiet street. He has full time job, I have a full time job. We don't have cable but, we have sucess in all the things that matter most ...to me

i think youve hit the nail right on the head :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I

isawitonline

Stanfi said:

Very subjective and up to the individual person to determine.

I feel like I'm successful because I've done the best I can with what I have and what God has put in front of me.

I'm not rich by any stretch but the call I've had in life has played out quite well. I feel I'm truly blessed and successful.

Upvote 0

Im-revived

Working for God, through our Lord.
May 5, 2005
England
✟7,494.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Labour
Succesful :-

Success = Managed to do or complete something
Full:- Managed to do something to completion= Made whole.

So wanting to complete something, then tring to do it, then coming out at the end by fully completing it.

Example = To know you need to pass an exam, so working hard in revision and learning, to take the exam, and finally to pass it. You are then succesfull in your attempts to pass as youve passed it.
Stanfi said:

Upvote 0

newbeliever02072005

Have Courage to Trust God
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2005
WV
✟52,180.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To me being successful is accomplishing a goal that you set for yourself. Since we are all different and enjoy different things obviously this will vary from person to person.

For me:

Spending time in the Word and prayer
Making sure that my kids know they are loved daily
Same for my husband
Fulfilling my daily chores like cooking, cleaning...etc.
If I have accomplished making someone smile, laugh or know they are loved

Those things are important to me and that is what I strive to be successful at. :)

getmsg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CarolinaMom

Daughter of a KING!
Feb 11, 2006
NC
Visit site
✟19,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I think about success I think about this verse: 1 Timothy 6:7 (King James Version)For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

Success is not how much money you make, how big your house is, what kind of car you drive, etc. I believe success will be measured by the number of people we have led to Jesus.

Personally, I feel successful when I can wash & dry a load of clothes, wash dishes, change 2 dirty diapers and cook supper before 7 PM. (I get home from work @ 5:30.) You can mix & match tasks, too! Like...download music, call someone I've been meaning to call for a while, clean the vaseline out of my daughter's hair, wash & dry a load of clothes (always an included task), all before American Idol comes on! Sometimes I'm not very successful, but other times I am.

Success is meeting or exceeding goals, or diligently trying to achieve them. I have set a goal to attend each & every church service. Speaking of which, I need to go get in the shower! (and get the baby ready, dry 2 loads of clothes & fold, get my son & hubby up and ready, and cook breakfast - all before 9:45! Can I do it? Success!!!:clap: )

Upvote 0