Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Super Bowl champ and kicker spoke about the dignity of life, masculinity, and the most important role of all: motherhood.

Editor’s Note: Harrison Butker, 28, the placekicker for the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League, delivered the commencement address at Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, on Saturday, May 11, 2024. A transcript of his remarks is below.

Ladies and gentlemen of the Class of 2024: I would like to start off by congratulating all of you for successfully making it to this achievement today. I'm sure your high school graduation was not what you had imagined, and most likely, neither was your first couple years of college.

By making it to this moment through all the adversity thrown your way from COVID, I hope you learned the important lessons that suffering in this life is only temporary. As a group, you witnessed firsthand how bad leaders who don't stay in their lane can have a negative impact on society. It is through this lens that I want to take stock of how we got to where we are, and where we want to go as citizens and, yes, as Catholics. One last thing before I begin, I want to be sure to thank President Minnis and the board for their invitation to speak.

When President Minnis first reached out a couple of months ago, I had originally said No. You see, last year I gave the commencement address at my alma mater, Georgia Tech, and I felt that one graduation speech was more than enough, especially for someone who isn't a professional speaker. But of course, President Minnis used his gift of persuasion. [Laughter] It spoke to the many challenges you all faced throughout the COVID fiasco ,and how you missed out on so many milestones the rest of us older people have taken for granted. While COVID might have played a large role throughout your formative years, it is not unique. Bad policies and poor leadership have negatively impacted major life issues. Things like abortion, IVF, surrogacy, euthanasia, as well as a growing support for degenerate cultural values in media, all stem from the pervasiveness of disorder.

Our own nation is led by a man who publicly and proudly proclaims his Catholic faith, but at the same time is delusional enough to make the Sign of the Cross during a pro- abortion rally. He has been so vocal in his support for the murder of innocent babies that I'm sure to many people it appears that you can be both Catholic and pro-choice.

Continued below.

Reactions: WarriorAngel

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟71,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I realize that Benediction College isn't very big, and it's not really a research institution but geez.....

...a 28 year old pro football placekicker ?

Even the modest school I teach at could do better than that for a commencement speaker.

I mean,

I MEAN.....

....I realize I matriculated at Big 10 university, but the commencement speaker at my gradation was Madeleine Albright, a diplomat and ex-Secretary of State.

Now THAT's someone with something to say about things.

But a place kicker.....

Reactions: CarlRenewed
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,768,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟71,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,768,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟799,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My only problem with these kinds of things is that they make presumptions about women who are single beyond a certain age (of course, men are never at fault with these kinds of folks, only women). Not everyone gets the chance to do what this guy is saying. And I wonder how the nuns feel about it, lol. The Bible actually states that it is "easier" to devote oneself to the Lord is you're not married. Yet churches don't like to say that very much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,768,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was speaking to Catholics at a Catholic school that were just beginning their lives where there will be many choices. He was not speaking to the public at large. He is not making blanket statements. Everyone is acting like he is. He is not excluding careers or vocations for women but instead saying there is nothing wrong with those that want to devote their lives to their family. The world says the opposite.

Then there is Sean Combs…. Many are acting as if Butker is more heinous than him. Go figure. Looking for outrage when a Catholic speaker speaks at a Catholic school is not something the world should be concerned about when it comes to faith and Catholic values. He is a Catholic speaking to Catholics

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,768,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Five decades of feminist disdain for homemaking have ushered in alarming realities. Women are not having children, and understandably so. It is hard to do it all. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest report shows the U.S. birth rate is at a historic low. The problem isn’t limited to the United States. What women aren’t being told by daytime TV, Hollywood, and pandering politicians is that every civilization needs babies. No civilization that fails to reproduce itself can survive.

“It is the home which decides the nation,” he wrote. “What happens in the family will happen later in Congress, the White House, and the Supreme Court. Every country gets the kind of government it deserves. As we live in the home, so shall the nation live.”

Sheen answers the questions that so many of us have about how our country has gotten so off-course. It started when we abandoned the home.

The decision for a woman to stay home can often be challenging, particularly when the economy and culture pressure her to do otherwise. Regrettably, not every woman who wants to stay home can. But rather than twist this decision into a caricature or a source of scorn and disdain, we can do something better.

We can, as in most of human history, recognize the incredible value and hidden benefits that come when we honor those who make a home that allows present and future generations to thrive. Many, like Butker and his wife, already have. The elites, meanwhile, will likely just keep lobbing Hail Marys in an attempt to save their ossified vision of women and family.

Carrie Gress, Ph.D., is a fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center and a scholar at the Institute for Human Ecology at the Catholic University of America. She is the author of numerous books, including
Theology of Home and The End of Woman (Regnery, August 2023).

Continued below.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟479,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My only problem with these kinds of things is that they make presumptions about women who are single beyond a certain age (of course, men are never at fault with these kinds of folks, only women). Not everyone gets the chance to do what this guy is saying. And I wonder how the nuns feel about it, lol. The Bible actually states that it is "easier" to devote oneself to the Lord is you're not married. Yet churches don't like to say that very much.
I know a single guy who’s 40. With no chance of winning.
He’s a decent guy. Helps people.
He’s a virgin.
So I guess it’s anyone who doesn’t seem to have luck at love.
He’s dated.
He’s not overly attractive but he’s a good person.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟479,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes.
Im sure it is.

Thats why the birth rate is the lowest lts been in a century
The researchers suggested abortion and contraception could cause sterility but that got shot down.

And here we sit.

Countries paying for people to move there.
I remember posting the actuary projections for 2030.
It’s gonna be interesting but extremely difficult.
Not enough worker bees to help the aging population.
Taxes off the charts.
Probably going to go back to large nucleus families.

living as one big family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I love how the liberals are attacking him for speaking Catholic teaching at a Catholic university. What ever happened to tolerance?

I’m not saying I agree with everything he said, but he has a right to his opinion.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,768,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married