✟902,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is grace? Is it just forgiveness?
Grace can actually refer to many different unmerited gifts that God has bestowed on someone or mankind. Christ’s sacrifice was a grace, His imputed righteousness is another grace, knowledge that we receive from the Holy Spirit is another grace. I would also consider blessings and miracles God has granted us to be graces as well.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Grace is the gift of God teaching us how to have the experience of knowing Him by walking in His way in obedience to His law, which is eternal life (Psalms 119:29-30, Exodus 33:13, Genesis 6:8-9, Romans 1:5, Titus 2:11-14, John 17:3, Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28).

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Grace can actually refer to many different unmerited gifts that God has bestowed on someone or mankind. Christ’s sacrifice was a grace, His imputed righteousness is another grace, knowledge that we receive from the Holy Spirit is another grace. I would also consider blessings and miracles God has granted us to be graces as well.
I like that. If we look at the meaning of grace in the Greek it's very interesting.

[*StrongsGreek*]
χάρις cháris, khar'-ece
from 5463;
graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):--acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace(- ious), joy, liberality, pleasure, thank(-s, -worthy).

So grace is the gift of the HS. Most people see it as forgiveness but it's not.

[*StrongsGreek*]
ἄφεσις áphesis, af'-es-is
from 863;
freedom; (figuratively) pardon:--deliverance, forgiveness, liberty, remission.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟902,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like that. If we look at the meaning of grace in the Greek it's very interesting.

[*StrongsGreek*]
χάρις cháris, khar'-ece
from 5463;
graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):--acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace(- ious), joy, liberality, pleasure, thank(-s, -worthy).

[*StrongsGreek*]
from 863;
I see grace as pretty much any gift God has given us.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What is grace? Is it just forgiveness?

In the case of Christianity, it is the unmerited favor of God in forgiving all previous sins through baptism, see Romans 3:25. It is not done as a reward for anything that one may have done previously, see Ephesians 2:1-7, i.e., "it is not of works", see Ephesians 2:8-9.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

[*StrongsGreek*]
χάρις cháris, khar'-ece
from 5463;

[*StrongsGreek*]
from 863;
Can you give some context for your question? What brought it to mind?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Can you give some context for your question? What brought it to mind?
I just got to thinking about it. There a lot of threads in this forum saying we don't need to keep the Sabbath and they claim grace is the reason they don't need to keep it. They equate the meaning of grace with the word forgiveness. Scripturally speaking that just isn't true for one person of the God head does not contradict another.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In the case of Christianity, it is the unmerited favor of God in forgiving all previous sins through baptism, see Romans 3:25. It is not done as a reward for anything that one may have done previously, see Ephesians 2:1-7, i.e., "it is not of works", see Ephesians 2:8-9.
Not Biblically. You can assert whatever you want. but that doesn't make your assertion true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That is "biblical".
Not according to the meaning of the Greek. You can use all the scripture you want but God does not argue with Himself therefore your attempt to make scripture contradict itself doesn't work.

Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not according to the meaning of the Greek. You can use all the scripture you want but God does not argue with Himself therefore your attempt to make scripture contradict itself doesn't work.

Scripture does not contradict itself. And I leave the meanings of Greek words to the Greek Church.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Scripture does not contradict itself. And I leave the meanings of Greek words to the Greek Church.
We have been given a tool to understand the underlying meanings behind the English words for a reason. I believe God has given us this tool to enhance our understanding because not everyone has the ability to study the ancient languages or has the opportunity to study them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We have been given a tool to understand the underlying meanings behind the English words for a reason. I believe God has given us this tool to enhance our understanding because not everyone has the ability to study the ancient languages or has the opportunity to study them.

I get a lot of my guidance from the Greek Church. They don't have such a tool. And haven't ever needed one. The Church wrote the new testament and has always known what it means.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I get a lot of my guidance from the Greek Church. They don't have such a tool. And haven't ever needed one. The Church wrote the new testament and has always known what it means.
And what does the Greek say?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And what does the Greek say?

It says the same thing it has always said. Simply read Ephesians 2:1-10. The Ephesians were wrapped up in all kinds of things yet God saved them anyway. It was not a reward for what they had been doing because they had been doing evil.

Upvote 0