What glue should I use to re-attach the corpus to the crucifix?

AetheriusLamia

Aug 13, 2007
Region or City
✟11,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Would you please tell me what glue I should use to reattach this corpus to this crucifix? (See photo.) Could you link me to the product from Amazon.com? Could you tell me what materials these appear to be? (Is it olive wood and stainless steel?)
crucifix.jpg

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟86,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Would you please tell me what glue I should use to reattach this corpus to this crucifix? (See photo.) Could you link me to the product from Amazon.com? Could you tell me what materials these appear to be? (Is it olive wood and stainless steel?)
View attachment 346139
Is this a necklace pendant? If it is a necklace pendant, you might want a glue that is waterproof, in case of rain outside. About the materials the cross or the Jesus is made out of, I am not sure, though the Jesus figure appears to be made out of steel or iron.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟677,386.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would suggest using a thick construction type glue, such as Gorilla Glue Multi-Purpose or Construction Adhesive. I wouldn't suggest a thin Super Glue, since it looks like there will be some gaps between the materials and regular Super Glue won't fill them and bond correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 346139
Yeah I’d say Gorilla Glue make sure to get the gel type.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AetheriusLamia

Aug 13, 2007
Region or City
✟11,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
-

Epoxy Glue, but you need to remove the old glue and rough up the metal with sand paper.
How do I remove the old glue? Doesn't "rough up the metal" mean damaging it? Why is that necessary?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do I remove the old glue? Doesn't "rough up the metal" mean damaging it? Why is that necessary?
I wouldn’t rough it up if you use gorilla glue but you do need to clean the metal with alcohol to make sure you get any oil off of it and don’t touch the areas your going to glue after cleaning it. Just need to clean the areas that you’re going to apply the glue to.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟86,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, as a kid, I made water rockets for a class. We were told to rough up the plastic bottle, so that the glue bonds to the plastic better, which allowed the fins to stick better to the rocket. We used a manual bike pump to add air inside the soda/water bottle to launch the rockets, and the forces from launch could tear the fins off of the rocket if the surface the fins were attached to was smooth.

TLDR: Imagine trying to climb a smooth wall, versus a rocky cliff. It is easier to climb the cliff, as your hands can grip crevices. The glue can hold onto a surface with microscopic crevices caused by sanding better compared to a smooth surface with not ridges to get purchase (grip) on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
An xacto or utility can scrape the old glue away. For sanding the metal, it does not need much of a surface abrasion to help the glue adhere. A 220 grit sand paper should work

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟73,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I use lots and lots of B7000 for reinestone and to glue magnets on things for the refrig.
435961619_1483474722585678_4251210149057885154_n.jpg

Upvote 0