The Cross and the Crucifix: A Study in their meaning and usage (responding to a Protestant)

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,741,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since today we are at the place in the Jordan where the children of Israel made a bronze serpent — seemingly in contradiction to the command of God to make no images — I thought it good to share this letter I sent to a Protestant friend a while back.

Screenshot-2022-10-27-at-5.54.36-AM-1024x309.png

Dear Protestant Friend:

You display a bare cross in your homes; we display the cross and the crucifix. What is the difference and why? The cross is an upright post with a crossbeam in the shape of a “T”. A crucifix is the same, but it has Christ’s body (corpus) attached to the cross. As an Evangelical Protestant, I rejected the crucifix—Christ was no longer on the cross but had ascended to heaven.

So why do I now tremble in love at the site of a crucifix? Let’s examine the history and issues surrounding the two.

I will start with the Old Testament and the Jews’ use of images and prohibition of idols. I know in advance that it is not a thorough study, but it will give a general overview of the issues. I will try to provide a brief overview of the Cross and the Crucifix, the origin, the history, and the differing perspectives of Catholics and Protestants. It will try to catch the historical flow and include the pertinent points. The outline is as follows:

1. The Three Main Protestant Objections to the Crucifix
2. Images and Gods in the Old Testament
3. Images and Images of Christ in the New Testament
4. The Cross in the First Centuries
5. The Crucifix Enters the Picture
6. The “Reformation” and Iconoclasm
7. Modern Anti-Catholics and the Crucifix
8. Ecumenical Considerations

The Three Main Protestant Objections to the Crucifix

Let me begin by defining “Protestant” as used in this article. First, it is used to describe the first Reformers who tore down crucifixes and crosses in the first years of the Reformation; and second, it refers to general American Evangelical-type Protestants. Granted there are many Anglican and “high” Luthers and others that do not object to the crucifix or other Christian symbolism. With that behind us, let’s begin.

Continued below.
The Cross and the Crucifix: A Study in their meaning and usage (responding to a Protestant) – Defenders of the Catholic Faith