Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are many examples of people in the Bible who are described as righteous, such as in Genesis 6:8-9 and Luke 1:5-6, so it is not the case that there is no one who is righteous, but rather Romans 3:10-12 is referencing Psalms 14:1-3, which says that there is no one who is righteous among those who say that there is no God. Christ lived in obedience to the Law of God, so that is also the way that we live when he is living in us.
Do you keep 100% of the laws?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,872.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course not, not even Jesus kept the laws in regard to giving birth or to having a period.
How do you choose which commandments from the Mosaic law to keep and which to ignore? According to what objectively provable key?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Good luck with that. There is no temple so you cannot sacrifice an animal for your sins. Do you burn your house down if you get a contagious illness? That's the Law.
There is nothing wrong with not following laws that don't have their conditions met. For example, the Israelites were given a number of laws that had the condition "when you enter the land..." while they were still wandering the wilderness for 40 years. Likewise, when the Israelites were exiled to Babylon the condition for their return to the land was to first return to obedience to God's law, which contained instructions in regard to temple practice that they couldn't follow because the temple had just been destroyed, so God honored their obedience to the laws that had their conditions met and laws in regard to temple practice don't need to be followed when the condition that there is a temple is not met.
There is no separate priesthood. All believers are priests.
The Israelites were a nations of priests (Exodus 19:6), but that doesn't mean that there was not a separate priesthood.

By the way, the law was for Israel, not for the Gentiles.
The Mosaic Law was given to Israel in order to equip them to be a light and a blessing to the Gentiles by turning them from their wickedness and teaching them to obey it in accordance with spreading the Gospel and with the promise.

I'm glad that I'm dead to the Law and I live by mercy, grace and truth now. Jesus is my life. He lives in me to enable me to God's will, not be enslaved to a set of rules made for a particular race of people. Many of those commandments are not possible to obey even if you wanted to. No court is going to acquit you of arson if you burn your house down when you get the flu.
The Psalms express an extremely positive view of God's law, such as with David repeatedly saying that he loved it and delighted in obeying it, so if we consider the Psalms to be Scripture and to therefore express a correct view of God's law, then we will share it as Paul did (Romans 7:22) while anything less than the view that we ought to delight in obeying it is incompatible with the view that the Psalms are Scripture. For example, in Psalms 1:1-2, blessed are those who delight in the Law of the Lord and who meditate on it day and night, so someone can't believe in the truth of these words as Scripture while also being glad that they are dead to the Law of the Lord. We need to die to the law of sin in order to be free to obey the Law of God, not the other way around, so sadly you've died to the wrong law. God's law is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so it is contradictory for someone to say that God's word made flesh is their life while rejecting God's word. Jesus lived in obedience to God's word, so that is also the way that we live when he is living in us, especially because God has made His will known through His word (Psalms 40:8).

In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that mercy is one of the weightier matters of God's law, in Psalms 119:29, he wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and in Psalms 119:142, God's law is truth, so it is contradictory for you to say that you live by mercy, grace, and truth while rejecting God's law. In John 8:31-36, it is sin in transgression of God's law that enslaves us while it is the truth that sets us free.

I've said this before. I will say it again. If we could keep the law then Jesus died for nothing.
That's just as false now as when you've said it before. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works by keeping God's law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross while returning to the lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem us from is the way to reject what he died for.

Acts 15:9-11
…He made no distinction between us and them, for He cleansed their hearts by faith. Now then, why do you test God by placing on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? On the contrary, we believe it is through the grace of the Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”…
In Acts 15:11, it makes it clear that the burden that no one could bear is not God's law, but a means of salvation other than salvation by grace, namely salvation by circumcision that was proposed in Acts 15:1. The purpose for which God commanded circumcision was not in order to become saved as the result, so the Jerusalem Council upheld God's law by correctly ruling against requiring circumcision for an incorrect purpose, which should not be mistaken as being a ruling against obeying what God has commanded as if they had the authority to countermand God.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
How do you choose which commandments from the Mosaic law to keep and which to ignore? According to what objectively provable key?
None of God's laws should be ignored because they all teach us about His character, though determining how to correctly obey God's law is a matter of study and the leading of the Spirit. Most laws make the conditions of who should follow them fairly clear, for example:

Deuteronomy 17:14-20 When you come to the land that the Lord your God is giving you, and you possess it and dwell in it and then say, ‘I will set a king over me, like all the nations that are around me,’ 15 you may indeed set a king over you whom the Lord your God will choose. One from among your brothers you shall set as king over you. You may not put a foreigner over you, who is not your brother. 16 Only he must not acquire many horses for himself or cause the people to return to Egypt in order to acquire many horses, since the Lord has said to you, ‘You shall never return that way again.’ 17 And he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold.

18 “And when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself in a book a copy of this law, approved by the Levitical priests. 19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read in it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God by keeping all the words of this law and these statutes, and doing them, 20 that his heart may not be lifted up above his brothers, and that he may not turn aside from the commandment, either to the right hand or to the left, so that he may continue long in his kingdom, he and his children, in Israel.
---

It should be fairly clear that it is instructing the King to write himself a copy of the Torah, not everyone. A larger portion of the laws were given to govern the conduct of the High Priests or Levites, which other Israelites were not permitted to follow. Some laws are in regard to holy days that should only be followed when it is those days. Some laws are in regard to the conduct of judges, men, women, those who are married, those who are widows, those who have servants, those who have animals, those who have crops, those who have tzaraat, those who are living in the land, and those who are strangers living among them while others do not speak about specific conditions under which they should be obeyed.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,872.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None of God's laws should be ignored because they all teach us about His character, though determining how to correctly obey God's law is a matter of study and the leading of the Spirit. Most laws make the conditions of who should follow them fairly clear, for example:

Deuteronomy 17:14-20 When you come to the land that the Lord your God is giving you, and you possess it and dwell in it and then say, ‘I will set a king over me, like all the nations that are around me,’ 15 you may indeed set a king over you whom the Lord your God will choose. One from among your brothers you shall set as king over you. You may not put a foreigner over you, who is not your brother. 16 Only he must not acquire many horses for himself or cause the people to return to Egypt in order to acquire many horses, since the Lord has said to you, ‘You shall never return that way again.’ 17 And he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold.

18 “And when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself in a book a copy of this law, approved by the Levitical priests. 19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read in it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God by keeping all the words of this law and these statutes, and doing them, 20 that his heart may not be lifted up above his brothers, and that he may not turn aside from the commandment, either to the right hand or to the left, so that he may continue long in his kingdom, he and his children, in Israel.
---

It should be fairly clear that it is instructing the King to write himself a copy of the Torah, not everyone. A larger portion of the laws were given to govern the conduct of the High Priests or Levites, which other Israelites were not permitted to follow. Some laws are in regard to holy days that should only be followed when it is those days. Some laws are in regard to the conduct of judges, men, women, those who are married, those who are widows, those who have servants, those who have animals, those who have crops, those who have tzaraat, those who are living in the land, and those who are strangers living among them while others do not speak about specific conditions under which they should be obeyed.
Such principle would mean that basically nothing from the Mosaic Law applies to you.

The condition "These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess" (Dt 6:1) applies to none of us.

And in similar way, the purpose of the Mosaic Law to be given to Israel living in the specific land, as a set of rules how they are supposed to behave there, is repeated several times in the book (e.g. Dt 8:1, Dt 11:8...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Such principle would mean that basically nothing from the Mosaic Law applies to you.

The condition "These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess" (Dt 6:1) applies to none of us.

And in similar way, the purpose of the Mosaic Law to be given to Israel living in the specific land, as a set of rules how they are supposed to behave there, is repeated several times in the book (e.g. Dt 8:1, Dt 11:8...)
While some of God's laws are specifically for those living in the land, that does mean that nothing applies to us.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,872.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While some of God's laws are specifically for those living in the land, that does mean that nothing applies to us.
And here we are walking into the vague and contradictory waters.

The whole Mosaic Law was obviously given specifically to Israel as a set of rules how to behave in Palestine. Nothing from it was given to anybody else.

Therefore, what objectively provable key do you use to determine which commandments, from the commandments not given to you, are for you?

Claims like "it needs study and the the teaching of the Holy Spirit" are like water draining from hand between fingers - it says nothing objectively useful. If you studied it, then say clearly how it is.

• Informative
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Since you and I can't keep the whole law do you believe Jesus is our savior?
Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so while we are not required to earn our salvation as the result of having first obeyed it, living in obedience to it through faith in Jesus is nevertheless intrinsically the content of the gift of him saving us from not living in obedience to it. It is not that we need the gift of salvation because we can't keep God's law, but that having the experience of living in obedience to it is itself the content of the gift.

A gift can itself be the experience of doing something, such as giving someone the opportunity to experience driving a Ferrari for an hour, where the gift requires them to do the work of driving it in order to have that experience, but where doing that work has nothing to do with trying to earn the opportunity to derive it as the result. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the experience of knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law, which is the gift of eternal life (John 17:3). In other words words, the gift of eternal life is an experience and the gift of God's law is His instructions for how to have that experience, not for how to earn eternal life the result as if it were a wage, and eternal life is not something that we need because we can't keep God's law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
And here we are walking into the vague and contradictory waters.

The whole Mosaic Law was obviously given specifically to Israel as a set of rules how to behave in Palestine. Nothing from it was given to anybody else.

Therefore, what objectively provable key do you use to determine which commandments, from the commandments not given to you, are for you?

Claims like "it needs study and the the teaching of the Holy Spirit" are like water draining from hand between fingers - it says nothing objectively useful. If you studied it, then say clearly how it is.
There are a number of laws that say "when you enter the land..." that are specifically in regard to eternal the land, particularly laws in regard to things grown in the land, such as Leviticus 19:23-25 or Leviticus 25:1-7, but that in no way means that nothing in the Mosaic Law applies outside of the land. It is not as though the Israelites were required to refrain from committing things like idolatry, adultery, theft, murder, kidnapping, and rape while in the land, but everything was fair game the moment they stepped outside of the land. Each law needs to be individually studied to determine the context of how it should apply, you don't have to like it, but that is the way it is.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
First of all we need to get something straight. The "other one" came from God Also. God commissioned Moses to write what God dictated to Him. It was never Moses' words. Now we need to discuss your assertion that God is unchanging and His Law to Israel was unchanging too. God has shown He does change His mind A god example is When Moses was about to leave the mountain after receiving the tables of stone and God saw the people in rebellion making a golden calf they were about to worship. God, in His wrath, was about to destroy all of them and Moses intervened.

Ex32:14 And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

The covenant with all its commands was a conditional covenant. In Ex 19:5-6 God tells Moses "IF" 5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession.

So, what happened? They didn't obey the covenant and finally The Father sent the Son to this wicked Earth to redeem lost man. He left them with a new and better covenant not like the old one. The New Testament is full of scripture that attests to the fact that man is not under the old covenant commands. Actually, I am not saying that God changed His mind because this was the plan before the foundation of the Earth.

I have to ask you this question: if not one jot or tittle shall pass from the Law (Torah) then why are you not adhering to all of the commands? Who gave you permission to eliminate most of the Law?

Clear as mud my friend. What makes you believe it is "clear"? Paul certainly believed Jesus fulfilled ALL the Law when he wrote Eph2:10-15, 2Cor3:6-11 and the complete chapter of Gal3.

And where did Jesus quote those two commands from? Yes, the part of the Law you just indicated was fulfilled. Your church quotes scripture from the Book of the Law On tithing and food laws. Your theory doesn't jive with your contention that what God dictated to Moses was done away.

Who was "him" in verse 37? He was a jew who was under the old covenant laws ( Torah). The New and better covenant had yet to take the place of the old one. Had They been under the laws of the New and better covenant Jesus would have answered something like this: 19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

Jesus new commands to us deal with agape Love. The commands in the 10 dealt with duty to God and man. There is no indication that the Israelites had to Love each other.
Malachi 3:5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.*n2
6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Hebrews 11: 7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.
8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

Looks to me as if God, by His own testimony. never changes.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,872.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Each law needs to be individually studied to determine the context of how it should apply, you don't have to like it, but that is the way it is.
Its not the way it is, its how you claim it is.

But let us stick to your claim and suppose its true.

1. How do you know that your "individual studies" determined it right and you are not breaking the Mosaic Law because of your misunderstanding?

2. How do you even know you have individually such authority, to pick or reject specific laws from the Law, when the Law itself says its not allowed (Deut 4:2; 12:32, Deut. 27:26)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Its not the way it is, its how you claim it is.

But let us stick to your claim and suppose its true. How do you know that your "individual studies" determined it right and you are not breaking the Mosaic Law because of your misunderstanding?
How does anyone know that they are correctly doing what the Bible instructs? That's the purpose of study.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,872.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How does anyone know that they are correctly doing what the Bible instructs? That's the purpose of study.
The problem is when you try to apply today's study to the Mosaic Law that was given to specific people in specific conditions. Applying the rules for the bronze age middle eastern society to the 21st century Christian life is, well, quite nonsensical.

Another problem is that its not possible to be partly under the Law and partly not. Biblically, you are either under the Law fully, or not at all.

Another problem is that your study is purely subjective. You have no basis for your study, no key, no clear rules to apply. Its based upon your individual feelings at the moment. Therefore, you cannot claim anything certain about any commandment. What meaning does it have, then? You can do it much more simply - just living the Christian life, instead of studying the old Jewish life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The problem is when you try to apply today's study to the Mosaic Law that was given to specific people in specific conditions. Applying the rules for the bronze age middle eastern society to the 21st century Christian life is, well, quite nonsensical.
God's character is eternal, so any instructions that God has ever given for how to experience, love, worship, believe in, and testify about His character are eternally valid. For example, the ways in which someone can do charity can change in the context of the 21st century, but doing charity will always be a valid way to act in accordance with God's character, and if that were to ever change, then God's character would not be eternal.

Another problem is that its not possible to be partly under the Law and partly not. Biblically, you are either under the Law fully, or not at all.
The way to act in accordance with God's eternal character is straightforwardly based on His character, not on any particular covenant, so while a particular covenant can include instructions for how to do that, those the way to act in accordance with God's eternal character is independent of it. For example, someone who is doing charity is experiencing, loving, worshiping, believing in, and testifying about God's righteousness regardless of which covenant they happen to be under. Any number of covenants can be made or become obsolete, but that will never change that it is righteous to do charity, so anyone who wants to experience, love, worship, believe in, and testify about the God of Israel can freely follow His eternal instructions for how to do that regardless of which covenant they are under, but they can't do those things instead of following His instructions for how to do them.

Another problem is that your study is purely subjective. You have no basis for your study, no key, no clear rules to apply. Its based upon your individual feelings at the moment. Therefore, you cannot claim anything certain about any commandment. What meaning does it have, then? You can do it much more simply - just living the Christian life, instead of studying the old Jewish life.
Our understanding of the Bible is subjective regardless of whether it is of what is instructed in the NT or the OT, though that does not mean that it does not involve following rules, that it is based on individual feelings at the moment, or that we can't claim anything certain about any commandment. Jesus was a Jew who lived a Jewish life in obedience to the Torah, so his followers should follow what he taught.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,872.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God's character is eternal, so any instructions that God has ever given for how to experience, love, worship, believe in, and testify about His character are eternally valid.
The similar tactics was tried also by reddogs in the opening post. However, its not true that the law was based on God's nature.

The law was given temporarily since Moses to Jesus, to prepare Israel for Christ. Its not some kind of eternal, unchanging code for everybody everywhere.

"For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John."
Mt 11:13

"Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law...
So the law was our guardian until Christ came...
Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian."
Gal 3:23-25

"But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way
of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code."
R 7:6

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The similar tactics was tried also by reddogs in the opening post. However, its not true that the law was based on God's nature.
If if is not based on God's character, then whose character is it based on? The Bible often uses the same terms to describe aspects of God's character as it does to describe aspects of God's law, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), or with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the Torah (Matthew 23:23) and it could not accurately be described in those terms if it were not God's instructions for how to act in accordance with those aspects of His character. For example, our good works testify about God's goodness, which is why they give glory to Him (Matthew 5:16), but if our good works had no connection with God's goodness, then they would not bring glory to Him and God would not have had any reason to command those works.

Moreover, God's way is the way in which He expresses aspects of His character like righteousness and justice (Genesis 18:19) and there are many verses that describe God's law as bring God's way, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13. 1 Kings 2:1-3, Joshua 22:5, Isaiah 2:2-3, Psalms 103:7, Psalms 119:1-3, and many others.

The law was given temporarily since Moses to Jesus, to prepare Israel for Christ. Its not some kind of eternal, unchanging code for everybody everywhere.
In Psalms 119:160, all of God's righteous laws are eternal. The Torah is God's word, so if the Torah is temporary, then so is God's word made flesh. It is absurd to think that God's word leads us to God's word made flesh so that we can then reject God's word and go back to living in sin, but rather God's word leads us to God's word made flesh because it teaches us how to know him.

"For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John."
Mt 11:13
Neither Jesus nor John taught people to stop repenting because the Torah has ended, but just the opposite. In Luke 16:16, is says that the Torah and the Prophets were until John and since the the Gospel of the Kingdom of God has been preached, namely to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, so if Jesus was speaking about the Torah still being preached, then he was not saying that it ended with John. Furthermore, in Luke 16:17, Jesus said that it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one dot of the Torah to become void, so he was not speaking about something that he thought had already become void. Moreover, in Luke 16:18, Jesus proceeded to teach how to obey the Torah.

"Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law...
So the law was our guardian until Christ came...
Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian."
Gal 3:23-25
In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the law leads us to him because it teaches us how to know him, not so that we can then reject everything he is and taught.

In Galatians 3:16-19, a new covenant does not nullify the promise of a covenant that has already been ratified, so the New Covenant does not nullify our need to obey the Torah in connection with the promise. In addition, in Galatians 3:26-29, every aspect of being children of God, in Christ, through faith, and being children of Abraham and heirs of the promise is all directly connected with living in obedience to the Torah. In 1 John 3:4-10, those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to the Torah are not children of God. In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the Torah. In John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him.

"But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way
of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code."
R 7:6
In Romans 7:22-23, Paul delighted in obeying the Torah, but contrasted that with the law of sin that held him captive. In Romans 7:6, it says that we have been released from a law that held us captive, so we have been released from the law of sin, not the Torah, and it would be absurd to interpret Romans 7:6 as Paul saying that we have been released from what he delighted in obeying, especially considering that the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey the Torah (Ezekiel 36:26-27), and that Paul contrasted those who walk in the Spirit with those who have minds set on the flesh who are enemies of God who refuse to submit to the Torah.

It should not make sense to you to interpret the Bible as speaking against obeying what God has commanded, but rather you should be quicker to think that you must have misunderstood the verses that you quoted.

Reactions: daq
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟155,872.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If if is not based on God's character, then whose character is it based on? The Bible often uses the same terms to describe aspects of God's character as it does to describe aspects of God's law, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), or with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the Torah (Matthew 23:23) and it could not accurately be described in those terms if it were not God's instructions for how to act in accordance with those aspects of His character. For example, our good works testify about God's goodness, which is why they give glory to Him (Matthew 5:16), but if our good works had no connection with God's goodness, then they would not bring glory to Him and God would not have had any reason to command those works.

Moreover, God's way is the way in which He expresses aspects of His character like righteousness and justice (Genesis 18:19) and there are many verses that describe God's law as bring God's way, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13. 1 Kings 2:1-3, Joshua 22:5, Isaiah 2:2-3, Psalms 103:7, Psalms 119:1-3, and many others.

In Psalms 119:160, all of God's righteous laws are eternal. The Torah is God's word, so if the Torah is temporary, then so is God's word made flesh. It is absurd to think that God's word leads us to God's word made flesh so that we can then reject God's word and go back to living in sin, but rather God's word leads us to God's word made flesh because it teaches us how to know him.

Neither Jesus nor John taught people to stop repenting because the Torah has ended, but just the opposite. In Luke 16:16, is says that the Torah and the Prophets were until John and since the the Gospel of the Kingdom of God has been preached, namely to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, so if Jesus was speaking about the Torah still being preached, then he was not saying that it ended with John. Furthermore, in Luke 16:17, Jesus said that it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one dot of the Torah to become void, so he was not speaking about something that he thought had already become void. Moreover, in Luke 16:18, Jesus proceeded to teach how to obey the Torah.

In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the law leads us to him because it teaches us how to know him, not so that we can then reject everything he is and taught.

In Galatians 3:16-19, a new covenant does not nullify the promise of a covenant that has already been ratified, so the New Covenant does not nullify our need to obey the Torah in connection with the promise. In addition, in Galatians 3:26-29, every aspect of being children of God, in Christ, through faith, and being children of Abraham and heirs of the promise is all directly connected with living in obedience to the Torah. In 1 John 3:4-10, those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to the Torah are not children of God. In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the Torah. In John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him.

In Romans 7:22-23, Paul delighted in obeying the Torah, but contrasted that with the law of sin that held him captive. In Romans 7:6, it says that we have been released from a law that held us captive, so we have been released from the law of sin, not the Torah, and it would be absurd to interpret Romans 7:6 as Paul saying that we have been released from what he delighted in obeying, especially considering that the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey the Torah (Ezekiel 36:26-27), and that Paul contrasted those who walk in the Spirit with those who have minds set on the flesh who are enemies of God who refuse to submit to the Torah.

It should not make sense to you to interpret the Bible as speaking against obeying what God has commanded, but rather you should be quicker to think that you must have misunderstood the verses that you quoted.
This is too long to react to in detail.

So, generally, the Law was given for some specific purpose and to specific people and environment. That means its shaped for that purpose. Its not something universal.

While God's nature is eternal, the Mosaic Law was not. It was given since Moses to Christ, for this specific period. And specifically to Israel.

It had to be accepted as a whole and put aside as a whole, no individual combinations are possible and are even literally forbidden.

Some commandments are against Christianity, so how will you deal with that, regarding God's character/nature? Either God changed (which is not possible) or the Mosaic Law is simply not bound to God's nature.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
This is too long to react to in detail.

So, generally, the Law was given for some specific purpose and to specific people and environment. That means its shaped for that purpose. Its not something universal.

While God's nature is eternal, the Mosaic Law was not. It was given since Moses to Christ, for this specific period. And specifically to Israel.

It had to be accepted as a whole and put aside as a whole, no individual combinations are possible and are even literally forbidden.

Some commandments are against Christianity, so how will you deal with that, regarding God's character/nature? Either God changed (which is not possible) or the Mosaic Law is simply not bound to God's nature.
I gave two arguments for why God's law is His instructions for how to act in accordance with His character and you haven't attempted to show how either of them is wrong. I showed how you have misinterpreted the verses that you quoted to say that the Mosaic Law is temporary. The Bible does not say that the Mosaic Law was given for a specific time period, but repeatedly says that it is eternal. Neither Jesus nor John taught people to stop repenting because the Mosaic Law has ended, but rather they taught for people to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, and the fact that that Gospel was intended to go out to the nations means that the Mosaic Law is universal. I showed how people can follow God's instructions for how to act in accordance with His righteousness regardless of which covenant someone is under. None of the commandments in the Mosaic Law are against Christianity, but rather Christ spent his ministry teaching his followers to obey it by word and by example.

Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0