To the science haters out there this is not a thread for you.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟246,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
As a graduate geologist I was interested as to what citizen science effort might have been applied to Earth Science. On the US Geological Survey site I found overviews of ten programs. However, only three of these were geological: Crowd Hydrology, Earthquake reporting and Coastal Changes.

Anyone interested in citizen science focused on geology should read this article, A review of Citizen Science within the Earth Sciences: potential benefits and obstacles. It's recent. (2020).

Edited to correct unnecessary new line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This particular individual without knowing anything about my sister boldly declared she will burn in hell for being an atheist,

Q: How did I know you had a sister?
A: You told me.

Q: If you told me, why did you tell me?
A: To let me know she was an atheist, then to ask me where I thought she was going.

1. Should I have lied and told you Heaven?
2. You knew how I would answer before I even asked, didn't you? ;)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is being ignorant with regards to not knowing something as well being ignorant which generates racism, sexism, anti-intellectualism etc.
This particular individual without knowing anything about my sister boldly declared she will burn in hell for being an atheist, or I am a crook for supporting IAU's stance on reclassifying Pluto.

As I have mentioned on numerous occasions, it is a sad state of affairs there are individuals who cannot respectfully disagree but need to express their disagreements in the form of assuming to be morally and ethically superior to those who do not share their opinions.
Well, we should pray for this individual. It is okay for the IAU to demote Pluto, and I support the IAU's decision wholeheartedly. We also need to demote Planet Fitness as well, but that's for another thread.

Yes, the world is becoming more divided sadly, but there is nothing we can do. I do hope that your sister understands God, and repents, but I will never say stuff about her getting condemned, cos that is not a Christian thing to say. For me, I would tell your sister about the wonders of the universe (God's creation), the Cosmic Microwave Background, and how a priest developed the Big Bang theory alongside Edwin Hubble in the 1920s. Our universe is a beautiful tapestry of galaxies, billions of years old, and strengthens my faith in God.

1715952435458.jpeg

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Remember the days of cradles for phone handsets and when 1200 baud was smoking?
Well, I remember the Panasonic phones, and TDS Wi-Fi that was in the high single digit to just a dozen or so megabits per second, and in the mid-2010s, 100 Mbps was only a dream. Now, my Wi-Fi is in the double digits as I do not need fast wi-fi (~50 MBPs), and one of my friends has 500 Mbps to nearly gigabit speeds.

AT&T Speed for my router
1715953298737.png

This was the future of landline telephony in the mid-2000s, with caller ID and name displayed on the LCD. :) The phone even had intercom capabilities, to talk to people on the other end of the house. Japanese technology (as Panasonic's HQ is in Japan), my friend.

1715952672606.jpeg

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do hope that your sister understands God, and repents, but I will never say stuff about her getting condemned,

Not even if you were asked?

... cos that is not a Christian thing to say.

Jesus spoke more on Hell than any other person in the Bible.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This was the future of landline telephony in the mid-2000s, with caller ID and name displayed on the LCD.

Not to mention that old T9 keypad!

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟155,670.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, we should pray for this individual. It is okay for the IAU to demote Pluto, and I support the IAU's decision wholeheartedly. We also need to demote Planet Fitness as well, but that's for another thread.

Yes, the world is becoming more divided sadly, but there is nothing we can do. I do hope that your sister understands God, and repents, but I will never say stuff about her getting condemned, cos that is not a Christian thing to say. For me, I would tell your sister about the wonders of the universe (God's creation), the Cosmic Microwave Background, and how a priest developed the Big Bang theory alongside Edwin Hubble in the 1920s. Our universe is a beautiful tapestry of galaxies, billions of years old, and strengthens my faith in God.

View attachment 347962
Not being raised in a religious home, it's never
occurred to me to be looking for the Hand
of God in nature.

Of course, should the supercomputer, say,
discover a code out at the hundred trillionth
decibel of Pi, that would shiver my spine and
make a Believer!

Or if ID ...

Since though- imo- there is no God or hand thereof.
it's long seemed to me that the people who do see
evidence* for God are in truth seeing a projection
of themselves interposed between their eyes and that
which they the more dimly perveive for the blocked view.

* a serious case- girl I was walking with found a nice
leaf and said it was a symbol from God to represent the
trinity.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not being raised in a religious home, it's never occurred to me to be looking for the Hand of God in nature.

That's why Jesus gave us the Great Commission.

To go and tell those who haven't been raised right about God.

Of course, should the supercomputer, say, discover a code out at the hundred trillionth decibel of Pi, that would shiver my spine and make a Believer!

In what?

Numerology?

For the record, Pi has been computed to 105 trillion decimal places.

So are you going to convert now?

Or if ID ...

Or if ID what?

Only because, as you said, you weren't raised in a religious home.

I wasn't raised in a laboratory, but you can be sure I believe in scientists.

it's long seemed to me that the people who do see evidence* for God are in truth seeing a projection of themselves interposed between their eyes and that which they the more dimly perceive for the blocked view.

Either that, or they see evidence for God.

* a serious case- girl I was walking with found a nice leaf and said it was a symbol from God to represent the trinity.

Symbols are used all the time to represent God.

Made-up symbols.

Why not let nature have a few of her own?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟767,205.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Not being raised in a religious home, it's never
occurred to me to be looking for the Hand
of God in nature.

Of course, should the supercomputer, say,
discover a code out at the hundred trillionth
decibel of Pi, that would shiver my spine and
make a Believer!

Or if ID ...

it's long seemed to me that the people who do see
evidence* for God are in truth seeing a projection
of themselves interposed between their eyes and that
which they the more dimly perveive for the blocked view.

* a serious case- girl I was walking with found a nice
leaf and said it was a symbol from God to represent the
trinity.
And than there someone like myself, being a Panenthiest of sorts, who see's the Divine Breath everywhere one looks.
I wasn't raised in a religious home as well. I even saw myself as an atheist for a number of decades. It took an unexpected read of the various mystics from the different spiritual trajectories that started my re-think the whole thing.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It took an unexpected read of the various mystics from the different spiritual trajectories that started my re-think the whole thing.

That certainly would do it.

How did they find you?

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟282,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Um...William Shockley ring a bell? How about Linus Pauling? Justice Oliver Wendell Holms, Jr.? You may argue they were ignorant outside of their fields, yet they were not what anyone would call ignorant people. Like it or not knowledge is more often used to justify a preexisting bias. Not nice to contemplate, but it happens.
Shockley and Pauling were scientists and like any other human being were subject to bias and prejudices.
Shockley was a white supremacist but you don’t come to the conclusion all quantum physicists with a degree in engineering turn out to being racists.

This is an extreme form of stereotyping and is the type of ignorance I was referring to as opposed to the ignorance of not knowing something.
The ignorant person I have referred to in this thread wants to stereotype science to the degree that it should be held responsible for things that are not even remotely associated with science.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟282,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a graduate geologist I was interested as to what citizen science effort might have been applied to Earth Science. On the US Geological Survey site I found overviews of ten programs. However, only three of these were geological: Crowd Hydrology, Earthquake reporting and Coastal Changes.

Anyone interested in citizen science focused on geology should read this article, A review of Citizen Science within the Earth Sciences: potential
benefits and obstacles.
It's recent. (2020).
Glad to see a post relevant to the thread title.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟282,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

View attachment 347962
My sister should not repent for being an atheist like anyone who is non Christian.
She is a clinical psychologist who helps people in need which says far more about her moral character than the hatred and bigotry of a certain Christian who states she will go to hell for simply not being a Christian.

As much as theological discussions don’t interest me and is seriously off topic, are you aware of the concept of the 'virtuous pagan'?
A problem with the ‘all non-Christians will go to hell’ theme is that anyone who died before the advent of Christianity was condemned to eternal damnation for simply being unaware of the existence of the Christian God which is a trifle unfair.
As a result, pagans were free from eternal damnation if they led virtuous lives and ended up in Limbo.
This was extended to pagans who were aware of Christianity such as the Roman emperor Trajan even though Christians were persecuted during his reign.

An atheist or non Christian in general who lives a decent life is a far better human being than a hateful bigoted Christian who thinks being a Christian in itself is a guarantee for being a decent person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My sister should not repent for being an atheist like anyone who is non Christian.
She is a clinical psychologist who helps people in need which says far more about her moral character than the hatred and bigotry of a certain Christian who states she will go to hell for simply not being a Christian.

As much as theological discussions don’t interest me and is seriously off topic, are you aware of the concept of the 'virtuous pagan'?
A problem with the ‘all non-Christians will go to hell’ theme is that anyone who died before the advent of Christianity was condemned to eternal damnation for simply being unaware of the existence of the Christian God which is a trifle unfair.
As a result, pagans were free from eternal damnation if they led virtuous lives and ended up in Limbo.
This was extended to pagans who were aware of Christianity such as the Roman emperor Trajan even though Christians were persecuted during his reign.

An atheist or non Christian in general who lives a decent life is a far better human being than a hateful bigoted Christian who thinks being a Christian in itself is a guarantee for being a decent person.
Agreed. In fact, most of my few friends that I have in real life are atheist or do not practice Christianity, as my friends are not bigoted. I am making Christian friends now also, but I make sure these people are peaceful as well.

Reactions: sjastro
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The ignorant person I have referred to in this thread wants to stereotype science to the degree that it should be held responsible for things that are not even remotely associated with science.

The ignorant person you are referring to thanks you for this thread.

He now realizes that citizen science comprises a sub group of collective science.

And this thread reinforces that mindset.

For years all he heard was:

Oh, that's not the fault of scientists; that's the fault of {government, administration, big business}.

Here's an example where people tried to sidetrack him away from scientists:

:doh: -- Oh, that's right -- I forgot.

The triad of scapegoats: government, administration and big business.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shockley and Pauling were scientists and like any other human being were subject to bias and prejudices.
Shockley was a white supremacist but you don’t come to the conclusion all quantum physicists with a degree in engineering turn out to being racists.

This is an extreme form of stereotyping and is the type of ignorance I was referring to as opposed to the ignorance of not knowing something.
Yet you have no problem using stereotyping in the post above, all because I pointed out that education does not prevent racism, thus the argument that racism is a function of ignorance is flawed. If that observation is offensive, call me a heretic;.

Upvote 0