The Sabbath is grace.

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So why do you keep Sunday when human beings cannot sanctify anything? The RCC openly admits they changed the day of worship. It is made up of sinful human beings too.
Uhmm the RCC also say Mary is sinless and we should pray to the saints... so not a source i would just agree with.

But the point is that sabbath is not about a day, but what the day represents...it reveals something about this God...that He is good and kind and generous. That he knows what creation needs and He is able and willing to provide it.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Uhmm the RCC also say Mary is sinless and we should pray to the saints... so not a source i would just agree with.

But the point is that sabbath is not about a day, but what the day represents...it reveals something about this God...that He is good and kind and generous. That he knows what creation needs and He is able and willing to provide it.
So? Why would you intentionally go along with them on the Sabbath issue?

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So? Why would you intentionally go along with them on the Sabbath issue?
Hey friend. The point like I stated is not about a day... but about what it represents. If Wednesday was the day that people in my country could come together to celebrate and worship Jesus and cease from their labour. And I had an option to not work on Wednesday or Saturday or Sunday... guess what I would choose Wednesday. Others first...This commandment I give unto you love one another as I have loved you... we love God when we love his people friend.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey friend. The point like I stated is not about a day... but about what it represents. If Wednesday was the day that people in my country could come together to celebrate and worship Jesus and cease from their labour. And I had an option to not work on Wednesday or Saturday or Sunday... guess what I would choose Wednesday. Others first...This commandment I give unto you love one another as I have loved you... we love God when we love his people friend.
I disagree but I'll quit pounding on you about this. I just don't think God sees things the same way.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟495,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
:wave:Hi there.

I don't disagree God is holy, and he calls us to be holy... to be set apart, to be totally "other"
Leviticus 11:45 I am the LORD, who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy...
There it is again... It originates with Him... our source... because they would have to represent Him to the other nations, they were to respond in a particular way as a particular people. So the Sabbath day the 4th commandment was to be kept
1. GOD - in honor and acknowledgement of God who provides and of the one who freed them from slavery (not in our own strength)
2. SELF - for their benefit, as it allowed them rest and provision
3. CREATION - animals and land could rest
4. OTHERS - they got to rest but others would also be able to see that Israel's God was a totally different God than those of wood and stone, He commanded respect and he cared enough to give them rest.

All things, all of creation could rest, it acknowledged God as the CREATOR God... as I said in a previous post. God was progressively revealing who He was to a people that did not know Him. This revelation would culminate in God become flesh in the person of Jesus Christ who was Lord of the Sabbath, that is the One who was greater than... as he created it... (John 1:3). He is the climax of our biblical story.

God did not "shabat" on the seventh day because He needed it... what kind of God would he be if he got tired or weary? He ceased because all that He had created was "very good". He didn't need to do anything else... I surmise that if Adam and Eve had not sinned they would have been in a perpetual shabat... where what they were asked to do i.e.. be fruitful and multiply ..."cultivate the land" would not be burdensome or laborious. But that it would flow naturally from this "very good".…
Yes, the Sabbath brings us back to Creation Exo 20:8-11 Genesis 2:1-3 as it is a memorial to everything God made for us without us and that He is the I AM of Creation the eternal God and the I AM who sanctifies us as we cannot sanctify ourselves. Eze 20:20 Eze 20:12

Moses repeated 40 years later the Ten Commandments before the Israelites entered into Canaan reminding them to keep dillegently.

Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is a direct parallel to where we are today and the Israelites being led by Moses through God to their promise land. Just like we today are being led by Jesus our Mediator through our “Egypt” or sin to our Promised Land.

In NT teachings we enter into Christ's rest through faith. Those who enter ALSO cease from their works as God did from His.Hebrews 4:10

When did God cease from His works? NT tells us which is a direct quote from the Words God wrote and God spoke -and no one has the authority to countermand.

Hebrews 4:4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;
Exo 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

This truly cannot be made any plainer!

God never said to keep a day or one in seven, He clearly wrote and spoke and said the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God Exo 20:10 and we should always obey God’s commandments exactly how He asks through love and faith. 1 John 5:3 Rev 14:12 Rom 3:31

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the Sabbath brings us back to Creation Exo 20:8-11 Genesis 2:1-3 as it is a memorial to everything God made for us without us and that He is the I AM of Creation the eternal God and the I AM who sanctifies us as we cannot sanctify ourselves. Eze 20:20 Eze 20:12

Moses repeated 40 years later the Ten Commandments before the Israelites entered into Canaan reminding them to keep dillegently.

Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is a direct parallel to where we are today and the Israelites being led by Moses through God to their promise land. Just like we today are being led by Jesus our Mediator through our “Egypt” or sin to our Promised Land.

In NT teachings we enter into Christ's rest through faith. Those who enter ALSO cease from their works as God did from His.Hebrews 4:10

When did God cease from His works? NT tells us which is a direct quote from the Words God wrote and God spoke -and no one has the authority to countermand.

Hebrews 4:4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;
Exo 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

God never said to keep a day or one in seven, He clearly wrote and spoke and said the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God Exo 20:10 and we should always obey God’s commandments exactly how He asks through love and faith. 1 John 5:3 Rev 14:12

God never said to keep a day or one in seven, He clearly wrote and spoke and said the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God Exo 20:10 and we should always obey God’s commandments exactly how He asks through love and faith. 1 John 5:3 Rev 14:12 Rom 3:31
Hey friend :wave:
Hope you are good. I think we agree on a lot of Sabbath concepts, the major disagreement is when this day is celebrated. I think I've stated over and over to our friend Gary who shares your convictions. I'm just not convinced by the arguments you have put forth and I've read some great material from some of your notable theologians. The body of Christ can learn much from your understanding of rest, especially as it pertains to our constant striving, although, without the condemnation ;)because we don't worship God on the day that your denomination believes .

It does not mean that we love Jesus any less or we are deliberately disobedient as you say, it means we love Him and honor Him always cognizant of the law of love, which trumps everything else.
Just as an example if you understood what we call "African time"^_^ you would understand that the way we do things is different.
This does not mean that everything goes or we compromise the gospel, but it means we search the scriptures diligently within its historical, geographical, cultural context, noting the textual variations until we discover the timeless principles of God, comparing these principles to the full corpus of biblical truth and then applying this to our own context. Which is most likely different from yours (I'm assuming you are in the West).
And that may not be ok for you but it is for me.

:pray:Much grace to you friend

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟495,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hey friend :wave:
Hope you are good. I think we agree on a lot of Sabbath concepts, the major disagreement is when this day is celebrated. I think I've stated over and over to our friend Gary who shares your convictions. I'm just not convinced by the arguments you have put forth and I've read some great material from some of your notable theologians. The body of Christ can learn much from your understanding of rest, especially as it pertains to our constant striving, although, without the condemnation ;)because we don't worship God on the day that your denomination believes .

But it does not mean that we love Jesus any less or we are deliberately disobedient as you say, it means we love Him and honor Him always cognizant of the law of love, which trumps everything else. In fact, just as an example if you understood what we call "African time"^_^ you would understand that the way we do things is different from you.
This does not mean that everything goes or we compromise the gospel, but it means we search the scriptures diligently within its historical, geographical, cultural context, noting the textual variations until we discover the timeless principles of God, comparing this principle to the full corpus of biblical truth and then applying this to our own context. Which is most likely different from yours (I'm assuming you are in the West).
And that may not be ok for you but it is for me.

:pray:Much grace to you friend
Well I know many people keep their sabbath, I prefer to keep the Sabbath of the Lord thy God.

Exo 20:10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God.

Which why almost all ancient languages Saturday means Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the majority agrees with us, it is because God has made his truth obvious, thus validating our position.

If the majority disagrees with us, it is because they are on the broad path to destruction. This means we are on the narrow path, thus validating our position.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums