Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 15:56-57?
Now the sting (Genesis 3:1) of death is sin,
(Hebrews 2:14: So that by His Death He might break the power of him who holds the power of deaththat is, the devil)
and the power of sin is the law.
57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory​
through our Lord Jesus Christ!​
Greek Lexicon for the word Law in 1 Cor 15:56
is the law;νόμος
(nomos)
3551: that which is assigned, hence usage, lawfrom nemó (to parcel out)

Strong's elaboration on the translated word NOMOS 3551
3551. nomos
Strong's Concordance
nomos: that which is assigned, hence usage, law​
Original Word: νόμος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: nomos
Phonetic Spelling: (nom'-os)
Definition: that which is assigned, usage, law
Usage: usage, custom, law; in NT: of law in general, plur: of divine laws; of a force or influence impelling to action; of the Mosaic law; meton: of the books which contain the law, the Pentateuch, the Old Testament scriptures in general.

The Usage of NOMOS in the Greek testament per Strong's and Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

Strong's #3551: nomos (pronounced nom'-os)

from a primary nemo (to parcel out, especially food or grazing to animals); law (through the idea of prescriptive usage), genitive case (regulation), specially, (of Moses (including the volume); also of the Gospel), or figuratively (a principle):--law.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

nomos

1) anything established, anything received by usage, a custom, a law, a command

1a) of any law whatsoever

1a1) a law or rule producing a state approved of God

1a1a) by the observance of which is approved of God

1a2) a precept or injunction

1a3) the rule of action prescribed by reason

1b) of the Mosaic law, and referring, acc. to the context. either to the volume of the law or to its contents

1c) the Christian religion: the law demanding faith, the moral instruction given by Christ, especially the precept concerning love

1d) the name of the more important part (the Pentateuch), is put for the entire collection of the sacred books of the OT

Part of Speech: noun masculine

Relation: from a primary nemo (to parcel out, especially food or grazing to animals)

Citing in TDNT: 4:1022, 646

Usage:
This word is used 197 times:
< Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Matthew 5:17: "I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not"
Matthew 5:18: "pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."
Matthew 7:12: "for this is the law and the prophets."
Matthew 11:13: "prophets and the law prophesied until John."
Matthew 12:5: "read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the"
Matthew 22:36: "commandment in the law?"
Matthew 22:40: "hang all the law and the prophets."
Matthew 23:23: "the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and"
Luke 2:22: "purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him"
Luke 2:23: "(As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth"
Luke 2:24: "according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or"
Luke 2:27: "the custom of the law,"
Luke 2:39: "all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee,"
Luke 10:26: "is written in the law? how readest"
Luke 16:16: "The law and the prophets were until John: since"
Luke 16:17: "one tittle of the law to fail."
Luke 24:44: "which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and"
John 1:17: "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and"
John 1:45: "Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write,"
John 7:19: "give you the law, and yet none of you"
John 7:19: "you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?"
John 7:23: "circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry"
John 7:49: "who knoweth not the law are cursed."
John 7:51: "Doth our law judge any man, before it hear"
John 8:5: "Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned:"
John 8:17: "written in your law, that the testimony of two"
John 10:34: "written in your law, I said, Ye are gods"
John 12:34: "have heard out of the law that Christ abideth forever:"
John 15:25: "that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause."
John 18:31: "him according to your law. The Jews therefore said"
John 19:7: "him, We have a law, and by our law"
John 19:7: "and by our law he ought to die, because he made"
Acts 6:13: "place, and the law:"
Acts 7:53: "Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and"
Acts 13:15: "the reading of the law and the prophets the"
Acts 13:39: "be justified by the law of Moses."
Acts 15:5: "to command them to keep the law of Moses."
Acts 15:24: "and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:"
Acts 18:13: "God contrary to the law."
Acts 18:15: "and of your law, look ye to it; for I"
Acts 21:20: "all zealous of the law:"
Acts 21:24: "walkest orderly, and keepest the law."
Acts 21:28: "people, and the law, and this place: and"
Acts 22:3: "and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous"
Acts 22:12: "man according to the law, having a good report of all the"
Acts 23:3: "me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten"
Acts 23:29: "of questions of their law, but to have nothing laid to his charge"
Acts 24:6: "have judged according to our law."
Acts 24:14: "which are written in the law and in the prophets:"
Acts 25:8: "Neither against the law of the Jews, neither against"
The sting is breaking God's law- the wages of sin is death Rom 6:23. Through Christ He gives us another option. Not to continue in sin, but to free us through His power John 14:15-18 our salvation is from sin Mat 1:21 we are not saved in our sins. If we have Christ in us, He is going to change us so we can keep the least of His commandment Mat 5:19-30 if we stumble along the way we can go to Him when we are sorry 1 John 1:9 but when He heals He says go and sin no more. He wouldn't ask if it wasn't possible

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The sting is breaking God's law- the wages of sin is death Rom 6:23. Through Christ He gives us another option. Not to continue in sin, but to free us through His power John 14:15-18
According to scripture, who has the power of death? (Hebrews 2:14)

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Jesus paid the price of sin, Done!
And what do we owe Him in return? Is it not everything we are? How is ignoring the one commandment that starts with remember evidence of loving God with all our heart mind and soul?

Remember Joseph when Potipher's wife wanted to have an affair? Genesis 39: 7 ¶ And it came to pass after these things, that his master’s wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me.
8 But he refused, and said unto his master’s wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand;
9 There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?

Evidence for the 10 commandments long before Sinai.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟489,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
According to scripture, who has the power of death? (Hebrews 2:14)
God has the power of everything but He doesn't make our choices for us. We can choose sin which leads to death or choose obedience which leads to righteousness Rom 6:16 and reconciliation Rev 22:14

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God has the power of everything but He doesn't make our choices for us. We can choose sin which leads to death or choose obedience which leads to righteousness Rom 6:16 and reconciliation Rev 22:14
I'm quoting Hebrews 2:14. I'm asking you, who, according to the author of Hebrews 2:14, has the power of death. Are you able to directly answer this question, per scripture?

2nd time asking

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Mat 1:21 we are not saved in our sins.

Romans 5:8 But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us!
If we have Christ in us, He is going to change us so we can keep the least of His commandment Mat 5:19-30 if we stumble along the way we can go to Him when we are sorry

There is admission of potential failure, there. That is well, because Jesus said this: Mark 10:18
18 “Why do you call Me good?” Jesus asked him. “No one is good but One—God. 19 You know the commandments:

Do not murder;
do not commit adultery;
do not steal;
do not bear false witness;
do not defraud;
honor your father and mother.

Notice which standard Jesus is using to define (GOOD)?
1 John 1:9 but when He heals He says go and sin no more. He wouldn't ask if it wasn't possible
The Same John that wrote "go and sin no more", wrote this: John 16:8 When He comes, He will convict the world about sin, righteousness, and judgment: 9 About sin, because they do not believe in Me The Complete Jewish Bible translates verse 9 as; about sin, in that people don’t put their trust in me;

He also wrote; ;John 3:16 and quoted this: John 6:29 Jesus replied, “This is the work of God—that you believe in the One He has sent.” 1 John 1:8, which came before 9.... says in active tense... 1 John 1:8 If we say, “We have no sin,we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Nope.

Genesis 2: 1 NOW the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

The devil possessed the snake and used it to communicate with Eve.

• Friendly
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Nope.

Genesis 2: 1 NOW the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

The devil possessed the snake and used it to communicate with Eve.
Death had not been commissioned at that point... and the wording "serpent" doesn't actually mean that the Devil appeared as a snake. It is poetry.

Hebrews 2:14 didn't take effect until here: (Gn 3:14, and the verification is Gn 3:19) The Devil is given the curse of bringing Death. (Eat Dust, We return to Dust... decay.... etc etc)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Death had not been commissioned at that point... and the wording "serpent" doesn't actually mean that the Devil appeared as a snake. It is poetry.

Hebrews 2:14 didn't take effect until here: (Gn 3:14, and the verification is Gn 3:19) The Devil is given the curse of bringing Death. (Eat Dust, We return to Dust... decay.... etc etc)
In other words you don't accept really accept scripture as the inspired word of God.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In other words you don't accept really accept scripture as the inspired word of God.
Not only do I accept it, but Revelation 12:9 expresses what I am trying to express, when I say that the "serpent" is a way of saying... "The Devil is a lying snake".... If I didn't have Revelation 12:9, I wouldn't be so confident about the point... but do you understand what I am saying?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not only do I accept it, but Revelation 12:9 expresses what I am trying to express, when I say that the "serpent" is a way of saying... "The Devil is a lying snake".... If I didn't have Revelation 12:9, I wouldn't be so confident about the point... but do you understand what I am saying?
Nope.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Saying nope is non sequitur... What I mean is.... did you read Revelation 12:9? Satan is called a Dragon, The Devil, Satan and the Serpent... all in one verse that binds him to all of those, yet is the same being. He's not God. He isn't all powerful. In Matthew 3:7, John the Baptizer calls the Pharisees A Brood of Vipers. Was that literal? Were the Pharisees a Brood of slithering snakes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Saying nope is non sequitur... What I mean is.... did you read Revelation 12:9? Satan is called a Dragon, The Devil, Satan and the Serpent... all in one verse that binds him to all of those, yet is the same being. He's not God. He isn't all powerful. In Matthew 3:7, John the Baptizer calls the Pharisees A Brood of Vipers. Was that literal? Were the Pharisees a Brood of slithering snakes?
So in other words you don't believe all scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof and instruction in righteousness. You believe that one passage in scripture cancels out another passage..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So in other words you don't believe all scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof and instruction in righteousness. You believe that one passage in scripture cancels out another passage..
I'm not sure how you just took 1+1 and then decided that it equaled 99, but I will go ahead and suggest that you reread what I said. Apparently you are going to stand on a hill and defend the idea that the Pharisees actually were a literal brood of vipers, slithering and hissing. I can't help you with that decision.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟489,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm quoting Hebrews 2:14. I'm asking you, who, according to the author of Hebrews 2:14, has the power of death. Are you able to directly answer this question, per scripture?

2nd time asking
The devil lost the power over death when Jesus went to the Cross. That said, many people believe when they meet Jesus they can continue living the way they are, but thats not the case, If someone has Christ’s righteousness they would not be living in perpetual sin. Sin comes from the devil 1 John 3:8 Jesus wants us to live holy and righteous lives. Anyone teaching we can live unrighteously and be in Christ is not being honest 1 John 3:7 1 John 2:4

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The devil lost the power over death when Jesus went to the Cross. That said, many people believe when they meet Jesus they can continue living the way they are, but thats not the case, If someone has Christ’s righteousness they would not be living in perpetual sin. Sin comes from the devil 1 John 3:8 Jesus wants us to live holy and righteous lives. Anyone teaching we can live unrighteously and be in Christ is not being honest 1 John 3:7 1 John 2:4
Okay, now explain how the Devil “lost that power”.

What was the Power behind sin?

Oh Death, where is your sting… your sting is in sin… and the power behind sin is…… ?!?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not sure how you just took 1+1 and then decided that it equaled 99, but I will go ahead and suggest that you reread what I said. Apparently you are going to stand on a hill and defend the idea that the Pharisees actually were a literal brood of vipers, slithering and hissing. I can't help you with that decision.
Where did that come from? We were talking about Genesis 2 and Revelation 12.

Where do you think calling him the serpent came from? Genesis 2. And calling him the serpent in Revelation 12 doesn't mean Genesis 2 is poetry and meaningless. It's further verification of Genesis 2.

Besides where did the crime of murder come from if Adam and Eve hadn't already sinned?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟489,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Romans 5:8 But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us!
Yes, He loved us while we were still sinners, it doesn’t mean He will save us when we continue in that path. Mat 7:21-23 Heb 10:26-30 Rev 22:15 1 John 2:4. We need to have a conversion. Christ does not want us to live unrighteousness and unholy lives.
There is admission of potential failure, there. That is well, because Jesus said this: Mark 10:18
18 “Why do you call Me good?” Jesus asked him. “No one is good but One—God. 19 You know the commandments:

Do not murder;
do not commit adultery;
do not steal;
do not bear false witness;
do not defraud;
honor your father and mother.

Notice which standard Jesus is using to define (GOOD)?
You cut out a bunch of context from that passage. Jesus is not saying the opposite of what He said. He clearly says if you want to have eternal life, keep the commandments and quotes directly from the Ten Commandments, its not an isolated teaching see Mat 5:19-30 Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13 Rev 22:14-15 1 John 2:3-6 What Jesus is saying in v 18 is that He is God.
The Same John that wrote "go and sin no more", wrote this: John 16:8 When He comes, He will convict the world about sin, righteousness, and judgment: 9 About sin, because they do not believe in Me The Complete Jewish Bible translates verse 9 as; about sin, in that people don’t put their trust in me;

He also wrote; ;John 3:16 and quoted this: John 6:29 Jesus replied, “This is the work of God—that you believe in the One He has sent.” 1 John 1:8, which came before 9.... says in active tense... 1 John 1:8 If we say, “We have no sin,we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
I suggest to read the whole context, for example in John 3:16 read past that verse down to John 3:20. There is a condemnation, for those who choose to stay in darkness (sin) instead of coming to the Truth to God’s Word (to the light). People stay in darkness because their deeds are evil and they don’t want to change. Jesus has some wonderful promises, but they are conditional. He doesn’t ask for much, but He wants us to live holy and righteous lives.

Upvote 0