the other kind of jubilee

Sorry to all you non-brits/commonwealth peeps out there but this is just too big a thing to let fly without a few posts.

In case you didnt know our beautiful queen Elizabeth II (who looks just like my mum by the way) is celebrating her Golden Jubilee this week. That's 50 dedicated years of service to we her humble subjects. :clap: :D :wave:

as you can tell Im feeling pretty patriotic today, I just wanted to gather people's views on the subject, does the rest of the world look on and giggle? Do you think having an un democratic head of state is unbiblical? Do any other brits out there want to get rid of her or keep her?

Id be fascinated to hear your opinions, and what youre up to as far as celebrations are concerned if you are living in this sceptred isle.

much love,

God save the Queen

Amatire

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
I'm from Canada (hence the flag). Although I believe the queen is still technically our head of state, she is basically just a figurehead at this point (at least for Canada).
I'm happy for her, and I have no problems with the constitutional monarchy system (although it's become more of a constitutional system than a monarchy). I have great respect for the royal family of Britain (despite its coloured past). I don't know if there's much celebrating planned in Canada or not, although I imagine there will be at least a parade or speech or something in Ottawa.

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
Right off the top, democracy is never even a thought in the Bible. Divine rulers are. Free enterprise was their system of economics.
having a queen and/or King is a great honor in a time of democracies, autocracies, dictatorships and the like.
I really enjoy the pomp and circustance accompanying the Monarchy. I think it is a great thing as it is presented and run.

Upvote 0
There are a lot of rituals involved in and surrounding the monarchy that are a little unbiblical though, for example, the Queen's husband has to swear "all earthly worship" to her, which I would have thought was idolatry, wouldnt you? And if you get too patriotic, couldnt you also be accused of idolatry? And as for the family, they havent exactly had a honourable history have they?!

Having said that, no offence to the americans out there, but she gives us continuity. I think Britain has the perfect constitutional system because they have democracy and a stability that few other countries can enjoy. But then, I guess Im a little biased!

Still, God bless her, she's done an amazing job. Noone could fault her.

Upvote 0

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
There may be some ungodly ritual associated with the monarchy, but the bit about 'all earthly worship' seems to me wholly reasonable (remember the BCP marriage ceremony contains the phrase 'with my body I thee worship' - talking here about giving due honour and respect to a person, rather than religious devotion). However, at its heart, the British crown purports to be very much a Christian institution (even if the current heir to the throne hopes to change this). The following is an extract from the monarch's Coronation Oath:
Archbishop: Will you to the utmost of your powere maintaine the laws of God, the true profession of the Gospell and the Protestant reformed religion established by law? And will you preserve unto the bishops and clergy of this realme and to the churches committed to their charge all such rights and priveleges as by law doe or shall appertaine unto them or any of them?
King and QueeneAll this I promise to doe.
After this the King and Queene laying his and her hand upon the Holy Gospells shall say
King and Queene: The things which I have here before promised I will performe and keepe. Soe help me God.
Then the King and Queene shall kisse the booke.

How far do you feel this oath has been honoured during the reign of our present Queen - and, indeed, to what extent is this a realistic promise, given the modern limits of the monarchy, in a 'democratic' society?

Anthony

Upvote 0

YourFriendFromEngland

May 26, 2002
ENGLAND
✟246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think that the Queen has been a fine example, as 'The Head of the Church of England'

However, I have some genuine concerns regrding how this position will inevittably change, should her son Prince Charles - one day in the future, become King.

It is alledged that he will then be referred to as 'The Head of Religion' which is quite obviously not the same as being 'The head of the Church of England.

Sadly it would seem, Prince Charles has dabbled in quite a few different religions, in his time. Alas, I think that he himself has found the muslim religion, quite endearing.

So to be honest, I was most relieved to learn that the Queen is not in anyway, ready to give up the throne just yet! Actually, if you had heard the speech that she made a couple of months ago at The Opening of the House of Lords, she stated that she had no intention whatsoever of resigning from the throne, for many years to come!

LONG LIVE HER MAJESTY!

God bless our Queen!

LORRAINE

Upvote 0

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
I suspect the Queen has probably been quite sincere in doing 'the utmost of her powere' to promote godly, Christian values and standards - she certainly has that reputation. However, the fact is, in our current constitutional system, that power is extremely limited, and successive governments over the past 50 years have done much to erode the Christian fabric of our nation. (Not that it was ever that perfect to start with!) For which we, who call ourselves Christians, should all be on our knees seeking God's mercy!

Anthony

PS The title Prince Charles desires for himself is actually 'Defender of Faith' (as opposed to 'Defender of the Faith'), so far as I know he's never objected to the notion of being Supreme Governor of the Church of England (courtesy title tho' that basically is these days!).

Upvote 0