✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi Family,

How does one get the gift of discerning of spirits?

What is it used for?

How can you become more sensitive to the move of the Spirit in this gift?

Does it naturally accompany other gifts?

~Natsumi Lam~

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The gift is in us via the Holy Spirit. The easiest way to discern is to confirm if that spirit is proclaiming that Jesus is the Christ (1 John 4:1-5). Any spirit or theology that doesn't confess that Christ is the Son of God, is not of God. The Apostle Paul also said that "no one can say Jesus is Lord" except in the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:3). 1 Corinthians 12:10 also mentions a special spiritual gift of discernment, and maybe a little different from what's being said in 1 John. I'm sure that you'll receive more detailed responses. Peace in Christ:).

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God gives it as it is needed. Like with the other Gifts, some may move in it more regularly than others, but God isn't limited on whom He chooses.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Beware of some who claim to have the supernatural gift of discernment of spirit, to authorize themselves to speak against great Christian ministers. That is not discernment. You find that a lot in Cessationist Christians who do not believe in any gifts of the Spirits since the publishing of the Bible, who then claim all manifestations today in Pentecostal churches is of the devil. You don't have to have the gift of discernment of spirits to know what spirit they are being controlled by.

Discernment of spirits is mainly used to determine warfare against evil spirits, and casting out spirits. I have a girlfriend who has the gift and can actually see them. (Not under every rock, but if they are there, she can see them.)

Also, 1 Corinthians 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

"Let the others judge" would be if what is prophesied is in line with the Word of God. If not, then that would be another spirit than the Holy Spirit as it causes confusion. Back then they only had the Old Testament, and letters that were passed around to the different churches which later made up the New Testament.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I got the gift of discerning of spirits from God before I knew what gifts were. He used it to help me understand the spirits that were in me from my past, and ones that were attacking me spiritually and through other people too, to discern between them and the Holy Spirit. So for me, it came while Jesus was setting me free, and then He has increased it more and more as He has been using me to help others. The gift is also used to discern between true and false prophets. We look at the fruit from a Biblical perspective and see what words the spirits are giving to the prophets, and look at how the spirits are manifesting physically. Some false prophets also speak from the flesh, and in that case, I see that it's a human spirit, nothing supernatural involved. I see spirits in their eyes, hear them in their voices, and in the body movement.

God also speaks to my spirit about what is going on in the person. I can discern what kind of spirit it is, whether a divination spirit, a kundalini spirit, a lying spirit, spirit of satan etc. All of the discerning of spirits comes from God, as He reveals to me what he is seeing. He reveals to me if the light I'm seeing is Light from God or false light from deceitful spirit. Matthew 6:22-24, 2 Corinthians 11:14-15
Just because something feels good and sounds good, doesn't mean that it is good. Discerning between what is good and evil is also a part of the gift, and it is what it is meant to be used for. I have also learnt to tell the difference between the presence a real Holy Angel and a false angel of light. This gift is extremely useful, because the church is full of false angel experiences and deceitful spirit in general too. I can also tell if a gift is genuine or counterfeit, and if signs and wonders are from God or from the devil.

When someone is taught another gospel and another "jesus", they also receive a different spirit than the real Holy Spirit. 2 Corinthians 11:4. It is not always the spirit of the anti-christ, but most often it is. This is where God has been using my gift mostly, to root out spiritual deception from someone's life. In the future, He will use me in churches as well.

There is a counterfeit gift of discerning of spirits too, that is a divination spirit. It isn't based on Truth but only on spiritual experiences. Since those who have that counterfeit gift is seeing the spirits from the eyes of that spirit, they will see false light as if it's from God and be deceived. They will see good as evil, and evil as good, they cannot tell if the light in a person is real Light or darkness. Even when it's chaotic and confusing, they still see it as good. So it is extremely important that we base our discerning not only on what we perceive spiritually, but on Scripture and on sound doctrine and a sound mind given by the Holy Spirit. We have to know Him and keep our eyes on Him, and He will reveal to us what is true or not.

:) I hope this helps. My gift is genuine and of God, because it gives Glory to God and exposes the works of the devil every time. It's awesome! :)

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi Family,

What is it used for?

~Natsumi Lam~

While there are genuine spiritual gifts present in the church, the Bible also warns us not to believe every spirit but rather to test the spirits by their conformity to Scripture, their consistency, and whether they exalt Jesus as the Lord.

The basis for all discernment, however, has to be the Word of God. Only through testing everything by the Word can we know for sure whether what we are hearing or seeing is truly from the Lord or, instead, from somewhere else.

Individual study of the Word of God is paramount ... His word provides discernment. Natural? Perhaps better put .... learned from the Word of God and then it becomes "natural" within us, because we know his Word.

By constant dedication in reading and studying His Word.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Family,

Scripture says the Holy Spirit manifests His gifts/charisma individually as He wills. They are never ‘our gifts’ but His.
What is it used for?
According to 1 Cor 12:7 they are manifested through us as an individual, but for the purpose of helping the ‘body of Christ’.

Your ability to move ‘more with the Spirit’ comes from growing in ‘faith’ each time you are used by the Holy Spirit. Romans 12:6

~Natsumi Lam~
It accompanies the presence of the Holy Spirit in proportion to the Spirit’s will and our faith.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What do you believe are the signs that there are demonic entities around a person, place or thing?

Can you discern spirits through your 5 senses?

What signs have you experienced, that point out that a person is dealing with a demonic infiltration?

How can you discern if someone is for you or against you?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you believe are the signs that there are demonic entities around a person, place or thing?
You can train for Biblical discernment to a certain extent, but you can't "train" for the Spiritual Gift (other than getting more practice at it).
Every instance that I am acquainted with corresponds to one or more of the four external senses. (I have not heard an example corresponding to "taste," so far.)
What signs have you experienced, that point out that a person is dealing with a demonic infiltration?
Often, the person's image feels "solarized" (a Photoshop term). Other times the person exudes a "sliminess" even though the person isn't sweating noticeably.
Discernment doesn't tell you that, directly. It just detects dark spirits that are trying to conceal themselves. The Holy Spirit seldom (if ever) conceals Himself.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think that the ‘signs’ of having been “robbed, killed or destroyed” in any area that “life and life abundant” do not reign is a good start on judging with our five senses.

l have discerned, in both deliverance ministries as well as other times, by revelation from the Holy Spirit. The same thing happened to Paul when a spirit of divination possibly fooled him for a couple of days, until the Spirit allowed him to realize (‘word of knowledge’?) that even though that evil spirit was proclaiming ‘the truth’ through her, it was still really just to the glorifying of the devil.
Acts 16:16-18

PS. I think that even Sabretooth would agree that smelling liquor or pot etc. on someones breath gives a pretty good clue as to whether something is of God or the devil in their life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You can train for Biblical discernment to a certain extent, but you can't "train" for the Spiritual Gift (other than getting more practice at it).

Can you train yourself to become more sensitive after the gift?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
PS. I think that even Sabretooth would agree that smelling liquor or pot etc. on someones breath gives a pretty good clue as to whether something is of God or the devil in their life.

Drinking is not a sin as long as it is done in moderation and responsibly. It is legal so we are not disobeying the law of the land.

Pot is legal in certain states and with a card. This is lawful so we are not disobeying the law of the land.

JW if you would Please provide a verse that says that all consumption of alcohol is a sin.

Would you also Please provide a verse that says that pot is also a sin.

I would like the verses for my own records please.

Or do you mean that these two are a potential red flag?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I also think that the inclusion of peace or the absence of peace is a good indication as well.

How do you believe or do you believe that Matt 10:13 has applicable content or context?

And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not in the intellectual sense; only in the experiential sense.

Not even by reading the Word by covering every instance where someone came in contact with a demonic spirit or angelic spirit?

What about breaking these verses down into the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek through parsing and things like word studies to grasp a more thorough understanding of context?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Smells of pot or liquor would be natural signs. They could be supernatural, if the person didn't smell that way just prior.
Pot is legal in certain states and with a card. This is lawful so we are not disobeying the law of the land.

Please provide a verse that says that all consumption of alcohol is a sin.
Alcoholatry and other drug addictions are still often rooted in the demonic, even if the substance has been otherwise legalized.

Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not even by reading the Word by covering every instance where someone came in contact with a demonic spirit or angelic spirit?

What about breaking these verses down into the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek through parsing and things like word studies to grasp a more thorough understanding of context?
Nope.

Can one prophesy just because they are well-read in the Bible? Give a Word of Knowledge? Discerning of spirits is a similar gift.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Smells of pot or liquor would be natural signs. They could be supernatural, if the person didn't smell that way just prior.

Alcoholatry and other drug addictions are still often rooted in the demonic, even if the substance has been otherwise legalized.

I agree it is a good sign in cases. I think that is why we need to train our sensitivity so that we can determine the health of a person spiritually.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nope.

Can one prophesy just because they are well-read in the Bible? Give a Word of Knowledge? Discerning of spirits is a similar gift.

I meant after you have the gift it is wise to be well-read in the Bible. Many times God calls into your mind a verse that is applicable to the situation.

Being well studied and well versed in the Bible aids the gifting.

• Agree
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that is why we need to train our sensitivity so that we can determine the health of a person spiritually.
(noogie, noogie, noogie! :doh:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0