So confused and I could do with some advice...please.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
If I am to follow His example, then I should follow what He taught in the Golden Rule, and that was to love the LORD with all my heart, and love my neighbour as myself...I don't remember reading that I have to love my neighbour as myself unless they happen to have a different faith than me, and then I should treat them differently (if someone could lead me to that part of Scripture, I'd be much obliged!!!).

Yes indeed. Even the tax collectors and sinners love those who love them. :D

Our Lord tells us that we are to love our enemies. And Paul says in no uncertain terms that love is patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast, is not proud, is not rude, is not self seeking, is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs, does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres.

That is the benchmark for the behaviour of Christianity towards any other faith. That is Christ himself.

It does not matter a jot what we call ourselves, or what we think our faith is. When we stand before God, he will look into our eyes. If he sees his Son looking back at him, he will not need to know anything else, and least of all what or who we think we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minty
Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
South East London, England
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Yes indeed. Even the tax collectors and sinners love those who love them. :D

Our Lord tells us that we are to love our enemies. And Paul says in no uncertain terms that love is patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast, is not proud, is not rude, is not self seeking, is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs, does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres.

That is the benchmark for the behaviour of Christianity towards any other faith. That is Christ himself.

It does not matter a jot what we call ourselves, or what we think our faith is. When we stand before God, he will look into our eyes. If he sees his Son looking back at him, he will not need to know anything else, and least of all what or who we think we are.
WOW!!! This post is totally amazing, Catherineanne...and I agree 100% with it. Thank you :hug:

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
First... ask yourself about your personal relationship with Yeshua [aka Jesus]

Do you believe He is? and He is what He said He is?
Do you like HIm? love Him? like the personal relationship you do have with Him?

If you answered positively to the above questions... then you are a believer and you are a christian. The devil is in the details though... with a wide variety of faiths within the christian faith, surely there are believers who are just like you struggling with the details, so do not feel alone with the ups and downs or the ins and outs of it... You are not alone. Keep hanging in there and keep praying and reading scripture... the Lord will make sense of all of it as you continue to talk and hear what He is saying.

Reactions: Minty
Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
South East London, England
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens

If you answered positively to the above questions... then you are a believer and you are a christian. The devil is in the details though... with a wide variety of faiths within the christian faith, surely there are believers who are just like you struggling with the details, so do not feel alone with the ups and downs or the ins and outs of it... You are not alone. Keep hanging in there and keep praying and reading scripture... the Lord will make sense of all of it as you continue to talk and hear what He is saying.

Do you believe He is? Yes
and He is what He said He is? Yes
Do you like HIm? Yes
love Him? Yes, and am continuing to grow in that love
like the personal relationship you do have with Him? Yes, and I pray that it grows into the kind of devotion that I want to feel for Him and His message.

Thank you, Visionary, and I will follow your advice :hug:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
WOW!!! This post is totally amazing, Catherineanne...and I agree 100% with it. Thank you :hug:

Thanks, Minty. I have no fears whatever for you. Your generosity of spirit alone tells me all that I would ever need to know.

God be with you. :wave:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Sorry to be a pedant, but the devil has nothing whatever to do with it.

^_^^_^^_^

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I pray that it grows into the kind of devotion that I want to feel for Him and His message.

Devotion is not a feeling, Minty, it is a chosen behaviour. Sometimes we have to ignore our feelings and act in contradiction to what they are telling us, and that is where we find true devotion. :wave:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I hadn't thought of it that, CA...now that you say it...you're right...thanks :D

You're welcome. When things get tough (which is not rare, sadly) I think of Our Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane. I am pretty sure that if he had acted on his feelings he would have run like mad, like any sensible person. However, he knew that feelings are not the benchmark; doing the right thing for the right reason is what matters. :wave:

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
CatherineAnne:

As I understand it, you are NOT supposed to be debating my post. I should be answering the question(s) of the OP, not defending my post to you. However, insofar as you've declared that I'm mistaken, I must now show that I am not.

This may be your interpretation, but this is not what Our Lord actually says, not anywhere. The Bible does not support Christian elitism, however much we might like it to, and whole chunks of Scripture, not least Matthew 25, refute this stance.

Perhaps it escaped your notice that Jesus said I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He does not say, "I am a Way, or a truth, or a life." Jesus isn't being elitist here, he is being exclusivistic, after the nature of Truth. He isn't saying he is one among many ways, or one among many truths; he is narrowing the field of ways and truth to a single point: himself.

Again, Our Lord does not flatly deny that other religions have validity, nor that there are many gods. He certainly states very clearly his belief in God, but he does not condemn any other faith, in any part of his ministry. His message is very clear, to all of us. It is the heart before God that matters, not our external religion, whatever it may be.

John 3:3-7 (NKJV)
3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'

John 3:16-18 (NKJV)
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 10:7-9 (NKJV)
7 Then Jesus said to them again, "Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9 I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.

John 15:5-6 (NKJV)
5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

As these quotations very clearly indicate, Christ very plainly taught that he, exclusively, was the Way to God.

One's religion defines what one believes about God, what one's "heart before God" will be. No Muslim will tell you that you must "believe on the name of the only begotten Son of God" to enter Heaven. No Buddhist will tell you that if you don't abide in Christ you will "be cast forth as a branch and burned." But this is what Christ himself teaches. Who you gonna' believe? Myself, I go with Christ. How about you?

There is no inconsistency. We all do this. Some deny it, some admit it, but we all do it.

Or do you worship on the Sabbath, follow all the rules of Leviticus, have only one hand, and wash your brothers' and sisters' feet every Lord's day? :)
I'll tell you what I don't do. I don't "wrest the Scriptures" as you are doing here. You are removing these things from their place in Scripture and trying to apply them falsely.

Now, if you don't mind, let the OP question me if she likes. Thanks.

Peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Can a person be Christian and also agree that all other world religions are valid? Or do I have to ignore, condemn and refuse to have anything to do with them?

No, one cannot be a Christian without rejecting all other world religions, and recognizing them as sure paths to condemnation. The Bible is the word of God, and if you believe in Jesus Christ then you should treat his word with the appropriate respect, should you not? The Bible addresses all of these issues:
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. (John 3:36)
The Bible teaches that non-Christians will go to hell. We are commanded to love and pray for non-Christians, but we cannot respect their personal beliefs. Non-Christians, whether they be Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, or pagans, are worshiping false gods and will go to hell for doing so unless they receive Jesus Christ. This is because all humans are fallen sinners, and are redeemed only through faith in Jesus Christ. To say that non-Christians can be saved is to deny inherent human sinfulness. The Bible is clear that Jesus' death is only effectual for those who call on his name,
But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1:12-13)
The Bible says that those who do not believe in Jesus Christ cannot know God through any other religion,
Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. (2 John 1:9)
So, it can be shown that one cannot be a Christian and believe that non-Christians will go to heaven. But what about participation in false religions? The Bible speaks on this too. The Apostles of Jesus Christ sent letters to the non-Jewish churches instructing them to avoid the idol sacrifices of the Greeks and Romans,
But as for the Gentiles who have believed, we have sent a letter with our judgment that they should abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. (Acts 21:25)
Paul instructed the believers in Corinth to stay away from the false Greek religion of the time,
What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. (1 Corinthians 10:19-21)
Indeed, you cannot participate in both the Lord's Kingdom and the pagan kingdom of Satan. To practice paganism is tantamount to serving the devil, and one cannot serve the Lord Jesus and his enemy at the same time.

Now as to respecting false religions, the Bible also precludes this possibility. You should certainly respect people who practice false religions. Indeed we are commanded to do more than mere respect: we must love these people. But we cannot respect what they believe. The Bible has nothing but mockery for false, non-Christian religions,
To whom then will you liken God, or what likeness compare with him? An idol! A craftsman casts it, and a goldsmith overlays it with gold and casts for it silver chains. He who is too impoverished for an offering chooses wood that will not rot; he seeks out a skillful craftsman to set up an idol that will not move. Do you not know? Do you not hear? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? (Isaiah 40:18-21)

I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols. (Isaiah 42:8)

All who fashion idols are nothing, and the things they delight in do not profit. Their witnesses neither see nor know, that they may be put to shame. (Isaiah 44:9)

The carpenter stretches a line; he marks it out with a pencil. He shapes it with planes and marks it with a compass. He shapes it into the figure of a man, with the beauty of a man, to dwell in a house. He cuts down cedars, or he chooses a cypress tree or an oak and lets it grow strong among the trees of the forest. He plants a cedar and the rain nourishes it. Then it becomes fuel for a man. He takes a part of it and warms himself; he kindles a fire and bakes bread. Also he makes a god and worships it; he makes it an idol and falls down before it. Half of it he burns in the fire. Over the half he eats meat; he roasts it and is satisfied. Also he warms himself and says, "Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire!" And the rest of it he makes into a god, his idol, and falls down to it and worships it. He prays to it and says, "Deliver me, for you are my god!" They know not, nor do they discern, for he has shut their eyes, so that they cannot see, and their hearts, so that they cannot understand. No one considers, nor is there knowledge or discernment to say, "Half of it I burned in the fire; I also baked bread on its coals; I roasted meat and have eaten. And shall I make the rest of it an abomination? Shall I fall down before a block of wood?" He feeds on ashes; a deluded heart has led him astray, and he cannot deliver himself or say, "Is there not a lie in my right hand?" (Isaiah 44:13-20)

Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. (1 John 2:22)
We can see that in the Bible, God makes fun of other religions and ridicules them as worthless. And I would join Jeremiah in asking you, "Can man make for himself gods? Such are not gods!" (Jeremiah 16:20). God does not merely declare false religion as false, he refers to it as outright idiocy. How then can we respect what our Lord has mocked? No, there is no true religion in the universe that rejects Jesus Christ, and we thus cannot have anything but contempt for other religions. This should motivate us even more to love those who are lost in such ridiculous faiths. But we certainly may not partake with them in this folly.

Anyway, I hope this helps to address your questions.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
one cannot be a Christian without rejecting all other world religions

You have certainly made plenty of assertions to that effect, but none of them can be substantiated in Scripture.

I suggest anyone concerned about this point look at Matthew 25, where Our Lord himself says that not all who enter eternity will know him as Lord.

And that many who do will not get through the gates.

Upvote 0