Should all Christians support Uganda's newest anti LGBTQ+ legislation?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Should all Christians support this legislation and support Uganda on this matter?

No, no, absolutely not. This is horrific.

If you believe that same-sex relationships are morally wrong, then, by all means, be celibate, and I will support you in that. But imprisoning people is entirely another matter. The legislature of Uganda is wrong in this.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟575,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not support the "gay" lifestyle, but if we executed everyone who sinned there would be nobody left, and the last person would have do themselves in. There are none righteous, not one.
Having said that, Jesus will save you from your sins, effects and causes.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems some are only focusing on "death penalties". heres a tiny bit.

"violations under the law also involve steep penalties, including death for so-called “aggravated” homosexuality and life in prison for gay sex. Aggravated homosexuality involves gay sex with people under 18 years old or when a person is HIV positive, among other categories, according to the law." "“Our creator God is happy [about] what is happening … I support the bill to protect the future of our children,” legislator David Bahati said during the debate on the bill."

This is not my country and there are other countries that do much worse no one is talking about them. Look what China does today against Christians or what India does against Christians or Pakistan where a 16 year old now, today is going to be hanged and he loves Jesus Christ. Hes been there (prison) for I think 4 years now. Odd how the left and right media is not talking about that and the others.. no one ...it is odd huh.

What as believers we are for homosexuality? No because God hates all sin and if we love Him we do not sin. Did we forget the OT? God has not changed. This is the age of grace and Christ came not to condemn but to save. We do tend to keep our heads in the sand and say nothing. Today being gay is ok to be trans gen is ok to think your a him/she/it/they or anything you like is ok? Are we fighting this in our own nation? If we can't or wont say anything in our own nation first why do you care about some other nation? Iran does much worse. Like talking bout Guns yet what do we do about Chicago that has been going on before I was born.

My point is with God if I tell you to not lie am I lying? Yes death for homosexuality is in my view wrong yet what am I doing fighting in PRAYER for my own nation?

Reactions: Raika
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟327,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Seems some are only focusing on "death penalties". heres a tiny bit.

"violations under the law also involve steep penalties, including death for so-called “aggravated” homosexuality and life in prison for gay sex. Aggravated homosexuality involves gay sex with people under 18 years old or when a person is HIV positive, among other categories, according to the law." "“Our creator God is happy [about] what is happening … I support the bill to protect the future of our children,” legislator David Bahati said during the debate on the bill."
Oh yes, a life sentence for gay sex is soooo much better :eyeroll:

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,490,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's a video explaining the situation

Should all Christians support this legislation and support Uganda on this matter?

No.

A secular law of a secular governments will have secular results, not Spirit-led results. There will be atrocities aplenty...Christians should not be yoked to that wagon.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟834,027.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's a video explaining the situation

Such laws seem strange and unfair to worldly people and they go against the grain in the modern world. The question of theocracy versus democracy in the West has been resolved with a firm focus on freedom rather than righteousness. In Uganda 84% of people are Christians and many of the others are Muslims so the notion that homosexual activity is sinful is uncontroversial in the country. This video indicated the pressure being exerted on the country from the West but so also how US-based faith groups have supported these efforts in the country.

My first thought was that it was probably hypocritical for Uganda to punish homosexuals and let fornicators and adulterers go free. After all, Uganda has one of the highest HIV infection rates after South Africa. If they claim a conservative Christian rationale for one thing should they not be consistent about this with the other thing? But then I found there is an ABC program motivated by religious concerns to promote abstinence, faithfulness, and condoms ( as plan C) to tackle immorality and STDs.

There is nothing inherently wrong about Christian laws in a country designed to promote righteousness, combat disease (STDs) and honor God. In a country where the base population is so Christian it might even be effective because of the buy-in by the people themselves.

Have we become so used to the notion that individual expression and freedom is the ultimate value that we are missing what God is doing through this lone country? If they are persecuted by Western countries for trying to follow the will of God, however imperfectly, then is that not to their credit?

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟166,730.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Such laws seem strange and unfair to worldly people and they go against the grain in the modern world. The question of theocracy versus democracy in the West has been resolved with a firm focus on freedom rather than righteousness. In Uganda 84% of people are Christians and many of the others are Muslims so the notion that homosexual activity is sinful is uncontroversial in the country. This video indicated the pressure being exerted on the country from the West but so also how US-based faith groups have supported these efforts in the country.

My first thought was that it was probably hypocritical for Uganda to punish homosexuals and let fornicators and adulterers go free. After all, Uganda has one of the highest HIV infection rates after South Africa. If they claim a conservative Christian rationale for one thing should they not be consistent about this with the other thing? But then I found there is an ABC program motivated by religious concerns to promote abstinence, faithfulness, and condoms ( as plan C) to tackle immorality and STDs.

There is nothing inherently wrong about Christian laws in a country designed to promote righteousness, combat disease (STDs) and honor God. In a country where the base population is so Christian it might even be effective because of the buy-in by the people themselves.

Have we become so used to the notion that individual expression and freedom is the ultimate value that we are missing what God is doing through this lone country? If they are persecuted by Western countries for trying to follow the will of God, however imperfectly, then is that not to their credit?
I always have doubts about figures for religious allegiance. They tend to assume that allegiance equates to observance That is obviously fallacious. Another way of counting would be to assess congregation size, always smaller than churches and other centres claim. In any case, even if there is a clear majority for intolerance of homosexuality that does not justify enshrining it into law.

There must be room for minorities too, if tyranny is to be avoided. It is always alarming when the people who have obtained their liberty slam the door in the face of others who only want the same. Americans should know this.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow so many gays or gay sympathizers here. I shouldn't have expected that. I have to side with Uganda on this. What an example that nation is showing!

It used to be a capital crime in the US. Not sure what happened there but not my fault, I'll tell you that, lol.

Scripture agrees with Uganda too. Scripture says by their fruits you will know them (God's people), and the thing is, no gay people can have any fruit/children so that activity is obviously wrong and to be rejected in whole.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟166,730.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Scripture agrees with Uganda too.
That is fine for those who want to follow that guidance. Those who have different beliefs should be free to exercise them. That is fundamental to a democratic society. Avowed Christian people who like to use the Scriptures in this way should ponder on the actual scriptures. The Gospels, in my opinion, should trump the Old Testament, else what is the point of Christianity? They have absolutely nothing to say on the subject.

There are many observant gay Christians and gay Muslims in America and in my own country. Some are ordained ministers.

Do you really want to kill gay people? Perhaps a look at why your country and mine learned to tolerate sexual differences would help you come to another view?

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is fine for those who want to follow that guidance. Those who have different beliefs should be free to exercise them. That is fundamental to a democratic society. Avowed Christian people who like to use the Scriptures in this way should ponder on the actual scriptures. The Gospels, in my opinion, should trump the Old Testament, else what is the point of Christianity? They have absolutely nothing to say on the subject.

There are many observant gay Christians and gay Muslims in America and in my own country. Some are ordained ministers.

Do you really want to kill gay people? Perhaps a look at why your country and mine learned to tolerate sexual differences would help you come to another view?

You're funny! Another view! News Flash, it is not good for man to be alone, God said, I will make a helpmeet for him. Adam, here's Eve, not Steve...Be fruitful and multiply.

Does your electrical outlets in your house have prongs sticking out of them? An electrical appliance can not be operated by two sets of male prongs, current will not flow. It takes a female outlet and a male appliance. It's pretty basic stuff.

And you want to know if I want to kill gays? Like here we go, this is where he accuses me of having an agenda against gays! Standard defensive tactic. No. I don't want to kill gays. I have no agenda here other than the truth. I didn't start this thread! I have no crusade against gays.

You talk as if you have a right to your own beliefs and that I should respect that and that makes it ok...Well can you tell me exactly when and where that I am able to have MY own beliefs? Is the thread merely a pro gay thread and I am not allowed to voice my belief? Ha! It almost sounds like You have an agenda.

Funny funny funny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is fine for those who want to follow that guidance. Those who have different beliefs should be free to exercise them. That is fundamental to a democratic society.

So go be a Democrat if you want to!

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟166,730.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You're funny! Another view! News Flash, it is not good for man to be alone, God said, I will make a helpmeet for him. Adam, here's Eve, not Steve...Be fruitful and multiply.

Does your electrical outlets in your house have prongs sticking out of them? An electrical appliance can not be operated by two sets of male prongs, current will not flow. It takes a female outlet and a male appliance. It's pretty basic stuff.

And you want to know if I want to kill gays? Like here we go, this is where he accuses me of having an agenda against gays! Standard defensive tactic. No. I don't want to kill gays. I have no agenda here other than the truth. I didn't start this thread! I have no crusade against gays.

You talk as if you have a right to your own beliefs and that I should respect that and that makes it ok...Well can you tell me exactly when and where that I am able to have MY own beliefs? Is the thread merely a pro gay thread and I am not allowed to voice my belief? Ha! It almost sounds like You have an agenda.

Funny funny funny.
I do not share your beliefs in this repect. Specifically, I do not accept your view about sexuality. As for the killing of gays, that is precisely what the proposed law in Uganda is for. Killing gays. You said: 'I have to side with Uganda on this'. #13 above. Now, maybe, you can see an inconsistency.

'You talk as if you have a right to your own beliefs and that I should respect that.'
Yes I do have a right to my own beliefs and opinions, just as you do. This is obvious; you have exercised that right by posting here - and so have I. This is not, clearly a thread for gays. Your view is welcome here. I hope you accept that others have the same right.

This is one of the few threads on which non-believers are allowed to post in Christian Forums, so it is to be expected that your views will not get a free pass.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟834,027.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always have doubts about figures for religious allegiance. They tend to assume that allegiance equates to observance That is obviously fallacious. Another way of counting would be to assess congregation size, always smaller than churches and other centres claim. In any case, even if there is a clear majority for intolerance of homosexuality that does not justify enshrining it into law.

There must be room for minorities too, if tyranny is to be avoided. It is always alarming when the people who have obtained their liberty slam the door in the face of others who only want the same. Americans should know this.
There are ways to minimize Christian allegiance count which certain groups use to further their agendas. I belong to a small international congregation where we have about fifty people in total but only 20-30 on a Sunday. But these people do all come and there are others who are outside this group also who are more loosely attached. You could count that as 20 people on a bad Sunday but since I know these people personally I know the count is actually 50+ in terms of faith however plagued by tests, doubts and distractions. But there is no doubt that Uganda is a Christian country.

There needs to be room for valid dissent, for a diversity of worship styles. Whether that extends to gay lifestyles is historically controversial in the Christian and Muslim worlds. The strange thing is actually that Christians have been so accommodating of these freedoms in the Western world when most of them regard gay sex as a sin. A gay pride parade advertises two of the deadly sins: pride and lust as if they were the basis of a person's identity. The Christian conviction is that human dignity (including that of gay people) comes from God as Creator, Redeemer, and Judge.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is not, clearly a thread for gays. Your view is welcome here. I hope you accept that others have the same right.

This is one of the few threads on which non-believers are allowed to post in Christian Forums, so it is to be expected that your views will not get a free pass.

I don't have to accept gays. They have nothing with me. And you are as you noticed on a Christian site so what would you expect? Diversified christians? That is no Christian at all. But the people who know Christ are not cut from the same corporate church that you wish I would join. Except, I know it is wrong and sinful. So I can not become diversified in sexuality! And so I am able to see the wisdom in Ugandas decision and support them. Being a homosexual used to be a Capital crime in the USA and I would vote for that to pass if it came on the ballot to bring it back.

I remember the days when one was able to hitchhike and not get picked up by gays who wanted something. Man, those were the good ol days!

But your confusion with me stems from, I agree with Uganda so I must want to kill gays myself...
Ok listen, that passing of that law to kill gays was a decision by the State. I am not the state. Murder is a Capital crime also and I don't want to go out and aprehend murderers and put them to death. Those are State issues, laws like that. I am not the State. I am the people. So there is certainly no connection between me the people and the State passing laws against unlawful activities.

And I'm not beating on the gays. What you have in me, is a Heterosexual perspective. Not condemning or killing people myself but voicing a truely heterosexual perspective. I do not wear my sexuality on my shirt sleeve, so why do the gays do this? If the gays went back into the closet we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm not attacking anyone or doing anyone wrong by voicing my opinion, so if you take offense to my perspective then that begs the question...why are gays opening so many gay threads on the christian forums?What is the gay agenda? If offended you might be on the wrong site! If you are seeking the Lord and have a repentant heart and want to get away from sin...then we can help you.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There needs to be room for valid dissent, for a diversity of worship styles.

There's that word Diversity. I knew that would come, lol.

I'm sorry Brother but there is no room in a relationship with Jesus to diversify Christian sexuality. It's wrong, you are full of crap but are free to choose your own beliefs. But you admitted to the gay agenda. Needs to be room for valid dissent? There's the sgenda right there, force us Christians to diversify and accept the gays and TBQ's or whatever they are even though we know it is an abomination to God.

Sorry! No Diversification Today!

Upvote 0