Say Hi, Gracie (Newbies say hello thread)

Ohioprof

Contributor
Jun 27, 2007
✟21,433.00
Faith
Unitarian
Hello, all. I am a refugee from the now temporarily suspended "Debates on Homosexuality" subforum of the Theology section. The moderators got so overwhelmed with people reporting each other in contentious debates that they closed the subforum entirely to catch up to the reports and to make new rules that will, we hope, lead to more civil and useful debate and discussion. Someone there recommended that I check out this area. She said it would give me a break from the intense and difficult debates about "homosexuality." So here I am.

I am a single mother to an adopted daughter. My daughter was born in Guatemala, and she is soon to turn 6 years old. She is the joy of my life. She is in kindergarten, and she just performed in her Christmas show at school. I am a history professor at a college in northeast Ohio. I am a Unitarian Universalist Christian. Some people in the "debates on homosexuality" section kept insisting that I am not a Christian, because my beliefs are so latitudinarian and liberal. I am a lesbian, and I have been a lesbian all my life. At the moment I am hobbled by a broken ankle. I missed the last step coming down some stairs two weeks ago, and I have to wear an aircast for the next month. It's a giant boot. My father died this past May at the age of 86, a loss that was very sad for me and my daughter. I sold his house, the house I grew up in, because it's far away, and realistically I could not keep it.

That, in brief, is my story. I look forward to friendly conversations here with interesting folks.

Reactions: TheManeki
Upvote 0

Wednesday

Heretic
Dec 17, 2007
✟15,974.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hello, my name is Alina, I'm 19, Australian uni student. I'm History Major and hope one day to become museum curator.

Meanwhile I'm atheist, liberal, faghag.

I'm atheist I'm pro - choice and I support gay rights. Despite the fact that I am atheist, I'm fairly liberal. Most of the Chirstians I know are level - headed and liberal, so I am lucky. However I do have problem when religious people start pushing their faith on others.

I'm here because I'm interested in views of others, I like learning about people. After the Sociology and Anthropology units that I have done this year, I've become even more interested in other people's views and beliefs.

Reactions: Ramona
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I will try, but the reality is that my mental state varies and at times I retreat from participating in much of anything.
we are here for each other...bless you and keep you.

Please read and feel a part of this fellowship and contribute when you can!

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟852,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will try, but the reality is that my mental state varies and at times I retreat from participating in much of anything.
I'm the same way--fluctuating mental state. Sometimes I speak sanely, and sometimes I am hypersensitive... But I've been more welcome in WWMC than anywhere else, including forums on CF.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EveMary

Feb 24, 2008
✟15,159.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello!! I should have posted my intro thread here lol!! I've got people on the main welcome forum telling me how being gay is evil and how Jesus loves the fetus.

Not to be sarcastic about it; I have several pro-life friends and we always manage to deal with the issue very openly. Anyway, I'll paraphrase my original post since it's kinda long.

I am recently Christian again. I was raised as such but fell away as I entered my teens and finally "denounced" God around age 18. It's been a while but after yet another debate where I used all of my mental faculties to denounce the existence of God, I couldn't help myself. I felt like I needed someone to talk to... Saying "I don't believe in God" means nothing to me... but to say I do... it's like this nervous explosion trying to get out!!

I'm obviously pro-choice, pro-gay-rights, and pro-evolution if there is such a thing lol. I'm a biblical self-interpreter, though I love reading what others have discovered. I can even prove to you that Roman's isn't anti-gay!!! You know the passages I'm talking about.

Upvote 0

ReadingForOrders

Mar 2, 2008
East of the Mississippi (probably)
Visit site
✟8,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Hi everyone;
From what I read I am probably more conservative than most of you but I have really enjoyed lurking in some of your threads and thought I would say hello.

I promise no trouble from this servant of Christ

Tom

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi everyone;
From what I read I am probably more conservative than most of you but I have really enjoyed lurking in some of your threads and thought I would say hello.

I promise no trouble from this servant of Christ

Tom

but we require trouble and challenges from this fellowship! We all agree that we can be hardest on each other but when one becomes the sole arbiter and proclaimer of his/her pronouncements, even on behalf of some faith or viewpoint...they are quickly dispatched.

We welcome friendly dissenters and those that encourage insight and empathy towards others. Please contribute!

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello!! I should have posted my intro thread here lol!! I've got people on the main welcome forum telling me how being gay is evil and how Jesus loves the fetus.

Not to be sarcastic about it; I have several pro-life friends and we always manage to deal with the issue very openly. Anyway, I'll paraphrase my original post since it's kinda long.

I am recently Christian again. I was raised as such but fell away as I entered my teens and finally "denounced" God around age 18. It's been a while but after yet another debate where I used all of my mental faculties to denounce the existence of God, I couldn't help myself. I felt like I needed someone to talk to... Saying "I don't believe in God" means nothing to me... but to say I do... it's like this nervous explosion trying to get out!!

I'm obviously pro-choice, pro-gay-rights, and pro-evolution if there is such a thing lol. I'm a biblical self-interpreter, though I love reading what others have discovered. I can even prove to you that Roman's isn't anti-gay!!! You know the passages I'm talking about.

Bless you and welcome EveMary!!

Chistians love the fetus. We also love our ability to serve each other in crisis and knowing that a woman's intuition about her faith and her body are respected and ministered to.

That passage in Romans is classic and the most misunderstood and the most spinned passage in the NT!

Upvote 0