Question for those with the gift of discerning spirits.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟843,599.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, I am at home very sick and have memory problems.

In the verse before, "The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation."

According translators helps, it is correctly translated as her saying "a way of salvation" which would not take a spiritual gift of discernment to know something is off base.

It would take the gift to determine if the source was her or another spirit thou.

The Greek has it "the way of salvation".

All the translations except the International Standard Version use the words "the way of salvation."

Looks like everyone including the original Greek translators are all out of step except little "international" Johnny.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Minoa

Jul 29, 2016
North America
✟17,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I admit there must be a bit of difference between general discernment and that involving spirits.

I know at least I've always sort of had a good sense of "good" and "bad", I was in fact a "goody-good" kid everyone made fun of because I never did things "cool" if I felt it was bad. As for feeling spirits or something like that, I got to say, I once felt my friend's room was feeling evil when she was playing a certain song or two that were especially bad, very violent songs but also very popular, thus, somehow the beat or something made people oblivious to how bad it really was, but I was listening to the words, not the beats so much (words are powerful, remember?)....it is hard to explain, but I felt very uneasy, and for a rare time, I wanted to get out of my friend's room. No, I did not have any christian friends...and usually, she did not play those songs, we played nintendo or pretended to be cats or something silly. It was her groupies that liked that junk....I was that odd kid that did not fit into the group---I was weird that way, having friends in groups I never belonged in...I never had a group lol.

Anyways, here is a better answer you guys lol:

What is the spiritual gift of discerning spirits?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟743,557.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Brothers and Sisters,

I am excited to post this because I've actually never talked with anyone who also possessed this gift. According to Derek Prince who is considered a leading global authority in the subject, Discerning of Spirits is the ability to recognize, identify and distinguish between various types of spirits.

Share with me , if you would, if you find yourself very sensitive to the personalities and messages on the board in the sense that you are able to discern, for instance, a spirit of rejection or a lying spirit through someones post? I'd love to hear your experiences in this area . If you possess this gift, then I'm sure that the Lord has provided you with a lot of life experience in order show you how the spirits tend to manifest through the personality. I'm sure you know what i mean but, for instance, you may become aware that someone takes offense very easily or is quick protect their image ( even if if they need to distort the truth to do it ). You can feel it in your spirit even if they mastered concealing the outward expression of it. I'd love to hear your experiences with it especially on the forum or in correspondence because that actually even requires a bit more experience sometimes. Because at that point there are no leaking facial expressions or telling signs that confirm your knowing. Have you been able to discern a Jezebel from a distance?
Please share...I'd be thrilled to hear your experiences.

Any ministry of the Spirit requires some form of dicernment. Sure I can often tell what God is wanting to say. As an example for this post, he put my mind on the verse from the bible that says "the gifts are given for the edification of the body". No spiritual gift should be used to build us up, or make us look spiritual, the gifts are to draw people closer to Jesus, closer to the one who heals them.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟52,727.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Any ministry of the Spirit requires some form of dicernment. Sure I can often tell what God is wanting to say. As an example for this post, he put my mind on the verse from the bible that says "the gifts are given for the edification of the body". No spiritual gift should be used to build us up, or make us look spiritual, the gifts are to draw people closer to Jesus, closer to the one who heals them.
This does seem to stand in contrast to Jude 1:20 where we are told to "build ourselves up . . . by praying in the Spirit (tongues)". Why should we ever be afraid to allow the Holy Spirit to strengthen us, it really makes no sense.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟743,557.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This does seem to stand in contrast to Jude 1:20 where we are told to "build ourselves up . . . by praying in the Spirit (tongues)". Why should we ever be afraid to allow the Holy Spirit to strengthen us, it really makes no sense.

Hi,

lol, I am not talking about being strengthened by God. Of course it is wonderful that God strengthens us as we pray. I am meaning gifts are given for the benefit of the body. There is no point being a spiritual nut, if it does not help any one come to Christ, or realize they need Him more.

I was more talking about personal pride. We can start to list all the times God has done stuff for "Me", and feel we are some how superior or special (better than others). But really those things have been for the purpose of helping others, not to build our personal kingdom or pride.

Also I am not saying we should never appear Spiritual to others, some times that is a good thing. Again I am meaning we should not use it for self glory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Quartararo

Feb 9, 2017
✟10,274.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I am excited to post this because I've actually never talked with anyone who also possessed this gift. According to Derek Prince who is considered a leading global authority in the subject, Discerning of Spirits is the ability to recognize, identify and distinguish between various types of spirits.

Share with me , if you would, if you find yourself very sensitive to the personalities and messages on the board in the sense that you are able to discern, for instance, a spirit of rejection or a lying spirit through someones post? I'd love to hear your experiences in this area . If you possess this gift, then I'm sure that the Lord has provided you with a lot of life experience in order show you how the spirits tend to manifest through the personality. I'm sure you know what i mean but, for instance, you may become aware that someone takes offense very easily or is quick protect their image ( even if if they need to distort the truth to do it ). You can feel it in your spirit even if they mastered concealing the outward expression of it. I'd love to hear your experiences with it especially on the forum or in correspondence because that actually even requires a bit more experience sometimes. Because at that point there are no leaking facial expressions or telling signs that confirm your knowing. Have you been able to discern a Jezebel from a distance?
Would you like to learn how?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

JingshenBianxi

So Cool
Mar 16, 2017
Houston, TX
✟17,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

3 Spirits that those with the gift of discernment distinguish between.

1. Spirit of God
2. Spirit of Man
3. Spirit of Satan

I often times spot the Spirit of MAN INSTANTLY. I did when I approached leadership at a congregation earlier this month and quickly was able to discern that they were not the congregation to be a part of. The manifestation of his spiritual condition was quite humorous though. The spirit of man once confronted by the Spirit of God tends to get a bit...agitated..frustrated..even upset/offended. But in dealing with this man when I texted him suggesting that he should involve the Gospel in every sermon he preaches...he responded with " lose my number ".

That was the Spirit of Satan.

So, yea I see things like that more and more precise now as I've grown in my gift. It's quite delightful actually. I can sense the spirit on Forums as well. In having Spiritual Discernment, it goes without saying that those with this gift are very VERY connected with the WORD OF GOD. And the SPIRIT of GOD is all IN THE WORD OF GOD...so...even in reading posts I can instantly tell if the Spirit of GOD is in it...or the Spirit of MAN is in it...

I don't really witness the Spirit of Satan so much here though..if so..that screen name is probably no longer able to log on this Forum. (( Granted I only been here for about a week ))

But yes, the spirit of Man runs wild here on these forums. Clear indication is when I read things like " well in my opinion "...or..." I feel like..."

Or in responses if there is sarcasm that really isn't necessary and what not...spirit of man all day. Even when someone quotes SCRIPTURE...I can sense if it's the Spirit of GOD or the Spirit of Man that was the MOTIVE behind those scriptures being posted. Lots of times the Spirit of Man will have a person quote scripture out of context but to prove a point they'll post it and it will make absolutely NO SENSE at all...in regards to the totality of the discussion as a whole.

The Spirit of Satan is when some one is in DIRECT opposition of the WILL OF GOD. That's why JESUS told Peter..." Get Behind Me, Satan!! "...in response to Peter telling Jesus that he wasn't going to die. Clearly that was the CALL on JESUS' life..to DIE for the sins of the World...so to say NO..you are not going to die?...Spirit of Satan.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

JingshenBianxi

So Cool
Mar 16, 2017
Houston, TX
✟17,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
From reading most of these posts...some I believe are not quite in the UNDERSTANDING of what Discernment means. It literally means..UNDERSTANDING.

Having Spiritual Discernment means you have a GOD GIVEN UNDERSTANDING...of Spirits. It has NOTHING TO DO with HOW YOU FEEL. It's called Spiritual Discernment...not Sensual Discernment. Satan could easily send you a scent that is so SWEET and you would think it was a GOOD thing...that's not Spiritual Discernment.

If you don't know what it means to be SPIRITUAL?
You don't have it.

If you think Spirituality is based on Sensuality aka feelings?
You don't have it.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟206,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Spiritual Discernment is the ability to know when something is RIGHT..and something is ALMOST Right. :)

Those with the gift will like this post. ;-)[/Q
Blessings in Christ Jesus! Or when someone is in Christ Jesus or about Jesus. Almost right, is where you are in your understanding of The mark. You are almost there and pretty close. If you ask Him for more, you will receive it. Let he who has wisdom understand.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Right at this moment, I am dealing with a Jezebel spirit. They don't like it because I have exposed them and it will mean that they will lose their position of control and power. Last Sunday, the person with this spirit tried to throw me down the steps of the church to prevent me coming into the meeting and I am a disabled 75-year-old.

I have dealt with this spirit before as they have a tendency to destroy fellowships as all they are interested in is power and control. The last one I was confronted with did that. The leader of the church came to me to ask what he should do and I said to keep a very tight reign on her and don't let her do anything.

Unfortunately, he disobeyed my instructions and the fellowship is no more.

You will find the Jezebel spirit is controlling, a seeker of power, they have no interest in the needs of the congregation unless it promotes them, believes they are right and everyone else is wrong, tells people that have been Christians for twice as long as them and know a lot more that all their experience is irrelevant, they don't want any changes that will diminish their authority, and the current one has said nothing is going to change, not even if God wants to change it. When they preach they usually tell the congregation what they should be doing but they don't do it themselves. They are do as I say not as I do people.

The current one has sent an email to say that I am not allowed to attend any meeting without his permission. If there is a meeting he cannot attend he will cancel it to prevent me going to it.

Last night I got a prophetic word from the Lord about it which I shall present to the leadership and then it will be up to them to reign him in or allow him to destroy the fellowship.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That's fascinating! I really enjoy hearing the experiences of others. Yes, I believe your daughter does have the gift. I didn't know that there were different degrees of ability to the point of being able to visibly see demons but that doesn't surprise me. I myself can't see Jezabel or other demons such as rejection but I do get an "impression" and It's a wonderful gift to have. Thanks for such a detailed response.

Rejection is something that I have been ministering to for a long time. At the age of 36, I was delivered from a spirit of rejection which I had from a very young age as I was abandoned as a baby and adopted.

When I arrived in Australia, which was a nation born in rejection and the indigenous people were rejected by the white colonizers, my wife and I could see it all over the place, especially in the pulpit. Within five minutes of a person beginning to preach, we could tell if he was up there because of rejection.

Derek Prince who we usually had twice a year at our conferences said that 50% of pastors are there due to rejection. In Australia, we saw this big time.

In one church I preached at I spoke on the subject and at the end invited people to come for prayer if they felt rejected 75% of the congregation came forward. I left at 2pm that day after praying for everyone.

If you have rejection, everything you do is filtered through it as there is a defense mechanism at work to prevent you from being hurt. You are constantly on the defensive until you get free of it. When something happens, it kicks in automatically.

To be free of it is the most wonderful thing in the world as you can be yourself and not have to worry about what other people think or say.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟809,746.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've waited several days and it looks like the Jezebel and rejection aspects have been covered - at least for now.

So asking what's your definition of the spirit of man? Mine is different from others who have posted.

Our spirits are formed by Yahweh (Zec 12:1); when we become believers, our spirits are joined with His (I Cor 6;17); only Yahweh knows our spirits (I Cor 2:11); "The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly." (Pro 20:27); "Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward ..." (Ecc 3:21). Plus His word is spirit to us and gives us life "It is the spirit that quickeneth; ...the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." (John 6:63). +++++

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have the ability to get reads on people's personalities, past histories, inner motivations, insecurities, etc, or know what 'type' of person they are, and how different types of folks work.

I am not sure how much of it is a spiritual gift - I got this because I prayed to be able to understand people's hearts. It also works by growing in experience when it comes to people. More experience = better reads.

I am able to generally tell what a person is like often just by small cues in their behavior, or tell you what they're like. Other times I get "feelings" off them that helps me pray for them. The latter is quite rare - I remember one instance of it.

Other times I get spontaneous insights into people.

It makes giving advice and perceiving future life dangers and wrong courses of action incredibly easy, but it also puts the onus on me to actually pluck friends from wrong decisions.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So, I do not kill bad people per se...

But in silence, will hold folks with me.

Upvote 0