• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Psalms 147:10-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobresaliente

Soulwinner
Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
✟489.00
Faith
Baptist
I was spending time with God when I ran across this verse, I thought it might be encouraging to some, or at least reassuring:

10 He delighteth not in the strength of the horse: he taketh not pleasure in the legs of a man.

11 The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

Psalm 147:10-11

Sobresaliente

Blessed2003

Duck, duck, duck, GOOSE..
Jan 20, 2004
✟1,452.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
I think that is a very beautiful verse. I have tried to imagine Heaven, and I have been blessed with no physical handicaps, (though, I do have quite a few spiritual ones) I have several friends who are hearing impared or visually impared, and when I think about how joyous Heaven will be (usually when I am discouraged) I think of all my friends hearing, and seeing, how they will leap like a deer when thier ears open, and thier eyes see, how those who can't walk will leap around with joy. It comforts me. I sincerely hope this is not out of place. I want only to bring encouragement.
Much Love sent with Peace in Jesus,
Brandy

Upvote 0

Cranberry

Jan 22, 2004
✟272.00
Faith
Catholic
pieman3141 said:
I've never thoguht abouit it... hmmm...
would be cool, but then, my physical disability is a part of me. Without it, I'd be a very different person. Kinda hard to imagine, eh?

Cool verse though.

It's an interesting thing you've just said Pieman3141.
The question of disability and identity is rarely discussed, probably because most people assume disabled individuals would do everything to no longer have a disability.
There are some aspects of disability that contribute in a positive way to the development of identity, things I know I would be afraid to lose along my disability. If in this life I were offered a miracle pill that would make me "normal", I'm not sure I would take it.

Would you?

That could almost be the topic a new thread!

Upvote 0

pieman3141

Apr 12, 2004
Vancouver, BC
✟7,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I wouldn't. Not on Earth anyways. I'm not enamoured by my disability, but it's almost like.. the fact that I'm straight. Or the fact that I'm Chinese, Christian, or male. Or the fact that I'm Canadian. Y'know? I can't imagine myself without it, because it affects how I think and my reactions to other people. Without CP, I might thiink differently than I do now, possibly more "inside-the-box" than outside. Or take small things and turning them into great victories (learning how to ride a bike, or tirim my fingernails was a great victory). It's alos a source of humoour for me. I llike to laugh at my mistakes, instead of feeling frustrated that I can't do _____. I've got better things to be frustrated at.

Of course, I HAVE met people that have wished that they were never disabled, or whatever. (Un)fortunately, those types are fast becoming rare, or I just meet so few of them because they're hiding or somethign.

We can, in fact, have a discussion on identity and when attributes define you. If a guy likes other guys, is he gay? Or is he just "some dude that likes other dudes"?

Upvote 0

live3him

There goes the deaf girl
Apr 18, 2004
California
✟128.00
Faith
Non-Denom
pieman3141 said:
I wouldn't. Not on Earth anyways. I'm not enamoured by my disability, but it's almost like.. the fact that I'm straight. Or the fact that I'm Chinese, Christian, or male. Or the fact that I'm Canadian. Y'know? I can't imagine myself without it, because it affects how I think and my reactions to other people. Without CP, I might thiink differently than I do now, possibly more "inside-the-box" than outside. Or take small things and turning them into great victories (learning how to ride a bike, or tirim my fingernails was a great victory). It's alos a source of humoour for me. I llike to laugh at my mistakes, instead of feeling frustrated that I can't do _____. I've got better things to be frustrated at.
neither would i. I don't even refer to myself as a disabled person. My deafness has made me a stronger person and it has taught me how to approach problems with different methods. It also has helped me focus on my relationship with God. If I were normal, I'd be a totally different person with different experiences, possibly less more impactable than the experiences I've already gotten.

I just don't undertand why everybody thinks that some kind of disability can seriously stop one from enjoying life. :scratch: Whether if one's deaf, or has CP, or is blind, or is in a wheelchair, it doesn't mean we can't find other ways to approach life. Sure, there will always be problems, obstacles, such as equal access, but that also happens to normal people. Theres racism, sexism, etc. Disability adds diversity to society.

Upvote 0

sobresaliente

Soulwinner
Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
✟489.00
Faith
Baptist
I don't think she was talking about being healed on earth, not that it couldn't happen, but she was referring to in heaven. I could go either way myself, I'm happy with the way I am but if God wanted to heal me I wouldn't say no. I do think through our differences we are better suited to touch people's lives.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟434,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's a cool verse there! :) I have 3 syndrome's and combine that with me being a holy-spirit filled Christian, it's a hard life. Especially since I'm 17 and looking at girls differently. It's very weird...

Upvote 0

eLfiX

Apr 13, 2004
Singapore
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
its the kind of verse which makes you think and can sometimes even change your life... Actually, it depends how you look at it.. To me, i just remind myself that im equal with any other human being. Our disabilities are just something to discourage us. Do not be discouraged! As we have eternal life up in heaven with God, and up there, we will have more then our healthy bodies.. (good looks)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.