WI
✟115,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems that the 2020s has been a decade of increased anxiety for some folks. First off was the pandemic, then the Russia-Ukraine war, and now the Israel-Palestine conflict. Here are three passages from the Bible that might give comfort. @SamanthaAnastasia , this Bible analysis is for you (and me also, as I have mild anxiety), as we discussed about the anxiety from the news, and the war. My prayers go out for you.

Date
May 1, 2024​
Verse
Matthew 6:25-34 (ESV): "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Isaiah 41:10 (ESV): "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Psalm 46:1-2 (ESV): "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea."​
Explanation
These three passages from the Bible offer comfort and reassurance to those who are anxious or fearful. Let's examine each passage in turn:

1. Matthew 6:25-34: In this passage, Jesus is teaching his disciples not to be anxious about their basic needs, such as food, clothing, and safety. He reminds them that God takes care of even the smallest creatures, and that they are of greater value than these creatures. Jesus urges them to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and promises that all their needs will be met. This passage is relevant to our modern anxiety in several ways. We live in a world where there is an abundance of news about conflicts, natural disasters, and other sources of fear and uncertainty. We may also face everyday stressors related to work, relationships, and finances. Jesus' message is that we should trust in God's provision and focus on seeking His kingdom and righteousness, rather than being consumed by our anxieties about the future.

2. Isaiah 41:10: In this passage, God speaks to His people through the prophet Isaiah, reassuring them that He is with them and will strengthen, help, and uphold them. This passage is especially relevant for those who are facing significant challenges or fears, whether related to personal struggles or larger global events. God's promise to be a present help in trouble is a source of comfort and encouragement, reminding us that we are never alone in our struggles.

3. Psalm 46:1-2: This passage from the book of Psalms is a powerful reminder that God is our refuge and strength, and that we can find peace and security in Him, even in the midst of chaos and uncertainty. The image of God as a refuge and strength is a powerful one, and it is a reminder that we can find comfort and security in Him, no matter what is happening in the world around us.​
Societal Relevance
In terms of how these passages relate to modern anxiety, they offer a powerful reminder that we do not need to be consumed by our fears and worries. Whether we are facing global conflicts such as the Russia-Ukraine war, Israel-Palestine conflict, global warming, the COVID-19 pandemic or more mundane everyday stressors such as a difficult coworker, we can find peace and security in God's presence. Some ways we can mitigate our anxiety include:​
  1. Practicing prayer and meditation: Taking time each day to connect with God and seek His guidance and peace can be a powerful antidote to anxiety.
  2. Focusing on the present moment: Anxiety often comes from worrying about the future or dwelling on past regrets. By focusing on the present moment and the things we can control, we can reduce our anxiety and find peace.
  3. Surrounding ourselves with positive influences: Surrounding ourselves with positive, supportive people and avoiding negative influences can help us manage our anxiety and find peace in the midst of chaos.
  4. Cultivating gratitude: Focusing on the things we are grateful for can help shift our perspective and reduce our anxiety.
  5. Seeking professional help: If our anxiety is severe or impacting our daily life, it may be helpful to seek professional help from a mental health professional. They can provide us with tools and strategies to manage our anxiety and improve our overall well-being.