Polls Show Mike Johnson’s Betrayals Have Fueled Historic Approval Plummeting Among Republicans, Surge Among Democrats

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟219,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Polls over the last few weeks from the Economist and YouGov capture the story: Johnson is surging with Democrats, and collapsing with Republicans. Johnson has seen in just the past two weeks alone double digit swings towards him among Democrats and away from him among Republicans.

Power corrupts.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟339,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The quote from Speaker Johnson in the article is excellent:
Look, I have to do my job. We have to do what we believe to be the right thing. What the country needs right now is a functioning Congress. They need a Congress that works well, works together and does not hamper its own ability to solve these problems. So, we saw what happened with a motion to vacate the last time. Congress was closed for three weeks. No one can afford for that to happen. So we need people who are serious about the job here to continue to do that job and get it done. So I have to do what I believe is right every day and let the chips fall where they may.
I disagree with Speaker Johnson on just about every political view he holds. He's a conservative Republican, and I'm a liberal Democrat. But I agree with him on the issue in the quote: our country needs a functioning Congress right now, the old-fashioned kind of legislature where the various groups hammer out compromises, and everybody gets about half of what they want, and WORK GETS DONE. I've come to respect Speaker Johnson quite a bit in the last couple of months.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟219,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I disagree with Speaker Johnson on just about every political view he holds. He's a conservative Republican, and I'm a liberal Democrat. But I agree with him on the issue in the quote: our country needs a functioning Congress right now, the old-fashioned kind of legislature where the various groups hammer out compromises, and everybody gets about half of what they want, and WORK GETS DONE. I've come to respect Speaker Johnson quite a bit in the last couple of months.
The border is a disaster and people are dying and being trafficked EVERY DAY because of a lack of action. Johnson promised action and broke his word. People are dead and lives have been ruined, lives that could have been saved had Johnson acted with honor and integrity.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The border is a disaster and people are dying and being trafficked EVERY DAY because of a lack of action. Johnson promised action and broke his word. People are dead and lives have been ruined, lives that could have been saved had Johnson acted with honor and integrity.
What efforts to craft a compromise bill on the border/immigration that could pass both chambers has anyone in the House leadership done?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟293,749.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Aside from the Neocons, who in the Republican base had their political desires met with Johnson's betrayal of them?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟219,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What efforts to craft a compromise bill on the border/immigration that could pass both chambers has anyone in the House leadership done?
There is nothing more they can do with this Speaker, they impeached Mayorkas and the border disaster is a deliberate act by the Biden administration.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,125,304.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In other words, he did the responsible thing, showed wisdom in foreign policy, and welcome independence from the candidate/defendant.

I hope bipartisan cooperation will increase in Congress.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,441,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In other words, he did the responsible thing, showed wisdom in foreign policy, and welcome independence from the candidate/defendant.

I hope bipartisan cooperation will increase in Congress.

Cooperation to pass a bill that is supported by the majority of Congress and the American people is spun as "betrayal".....

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is nothing more they can do with this Speaker, they impeached Mayorkas and the border disaster is a deliberate act by the Biden administration.
In other words -- republicans are useless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟247,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Polls over the last few weeks from the Economist and YouGov capture the story: Johnson is surging with Democrats, and collapsing with Republicans. Johnson has seen in just the past two weeks alone double digit swings towards him among Democrats and away from him among Republicans.

Power corrupts.
Your lack of any criticism that you're own party doesn't have the will or courage to actually govern is noted. The Republican party is a failure.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟219,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Your lack of any criticism that you're own party doesn't have the will or courage to actually govern is noted. The Republican party is a failure.
I know well the corruption in both parties, I'm not a Democrat or Republican. I have voted for neither the Republican or Democrat nominee for president three or four times. Claiming a whole party doesn't have courage because they have a dispute within their own party is simple name-calling. We need a lot more people to put the American people above their own party affiliations.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Power corrupts.
Funny, you people decry the current divisiveness of the country yet you excoriate the Speaker for actually working with the opposition to get things done. The hypocrisy is astounding to me.

The Republicans in the House barely have a majority and those in the Senate are in the minority, while Maga-Republicans are in the minority in both houses - do you really think that good legislation can be done without compromise with the opposition?

As for the border, the Senate Republicans worked with the Democrats to devise a appropriate bill which the House Magadonians tanked because Donald told them to so you people can continue to complain about the border. The Magadonians would rather have this as a continuing issue than to have it solved (or at least mitigated).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,441,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know well the corruption in both parties, I'm not a Democrat or Republican. I have voted for neither the Republican or Democrat nominee for president three or four times. Claiming a whole party doesn't have courage because they have a dispute within their own party is simple name-calling. We need a lot more people to put the American people above their own party affiliations.

Says the poster who implied Johnsono is corrupt for finally standing up to a fringe minority.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟247,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Call it what you will. It's just a factual observation. You've only ever parroted right-wing talking points and propaganda. It's up to you to disassociate yourself from that party through your words, which do the opposite. As one poster commented in response to something I posted disassociating myself from those I don't agree with on "my side" of the aisle - if it walks like a duck...

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟219,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Says the poster who implied Johnsono is corrupt for finally standing up to a fringe minority.
More children are crossing our borders and being sex trafficked every day. Johnson had an opportunity to stand up against this terrible wrong and he did not.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,441,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
More children are crossing our borders and being sex trafficked every day. Johnson had an opportunity to stand up against this terrible wrong and he did not.

Yes, Johnson and GOP house chose not to pass the bi-partisan bill passed by the Senate. That choice was made at the direction of one Donald Trump who selfishly did not want to see any progress on immigration this year.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟489,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
More children are crossing our borders and being sex trafficked every day.
It would be kinda weird if negative children crossed the border each day. How would that even work?

Seems like an empty talking point which falls apart when the first bit of thought is applied to it. Is this really the best the far right has to offer? No wonder GOP leadership is looking like they're moving away from unquestioning support of that fringe group.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, Johnson and GOP house chose not to pass the bi-partisan bill passed by the Senate. That choice was made at the direction of one Donald Trump who selfishly did not want to see any progress on immigration this year.
Yeah that was telling.

R's under candidate Trump prefer to keep the border problem burning for election leverage rather than make any improvement at all.

Upvote 0