Police officer hiring in US increases in 2023 after years of decline, survey shows

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟713,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Poverty is the biggest driver of crime.
If poverty is the highest driver of crime, why did crime not spike or even go up during the great depression when poverty was so rampant.

During the great depression, there was a huge income gap between a large portion of Americans and the very wealthy. There is also no gun regulation and you could purchase fully automatic firearms.

Even with all those elements crime did not spike.

Why?

Gun violence did not increase.

Why?

There were no school shootings.

Why?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟713,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's because you keep strengthenning private schools and pulling funding.
The need is there because a growing number of Americans don’t want their children under this woke agenda.

They want the school experience to be about education and not social engineering and are willing to spend their money to have it. Others want everyone to have the freedom to choose.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,966.00
Faith
Pentecostal
You and many other “law and order” conservatives seek to enable criminal cops. For all of your anti-government rhetoric, you’re eager to cede power to the least capable, least trained, least accountable armed branch of it. But I suppose it doesn’t matter if it’s only the poor and minorities who suffer.
Where on earth did you get that idea. It the left that likes unions so much. We'll, that's what you get. The inability to get rid of bad employees. I've been saying that for some time now.

I agree there should be a lot more training for cops. Trouble is the public doesn't want to pay for it. It costs a lot of money and people aren't ready to pony up the taxes for it. That also goes for hiring and pay. In some areas we've seen standards decrease because they can't get good people to apply.

Least accountable? Now I know you are joking here. Least trained? I know a lot of governmental employees who have a lot less training than Cops do. I think there should be more training but you'd have to cough up the dough. I wouldn't mind seeing police get a lot more training in before hitting the street but I don't see the taxpayers being willing to fork out the cost.

You anti-police rhetoric lacks a lot of details and shows real Iack of knowledge.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟148,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It's like throwing more money at Joe for the border--it will just be used to bring in more illegals.
I thought that “the goal” was to have a “secure border” which would require that Congress pass bills that would allow them to do that but it’s “no good” and will just lead to “more ‘illegals’”?

That’s some World-class Goalpost shifting, well done!

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟148,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
So too money will flow to the schools with bad teachers and poor discipline. School choice is needed, so if parents want to they can send their children to a school where the kids can learn.
We should make our educational system look like our “healthcare” system?

Right now money has been poured into schools with poor performance.

“Is our children learning?“ has been a trope for sometime now, yes.

Joe Biden is notorious for his opposition of black children being bused to white schools.

And he was buddies with Bobby Bird, too!
Give these children a chance, they should be able to attend goods schools. Schools need to quit teaching DEI and focus on math and English.
This yearning to keep everything “the same” isn’t conservatism as much as it is cynicism.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,138.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Poverty is the biggest driver of crime.
It might be linked to poverty, but more specifically wealth inequality. This is just one of many articles and papers suggesting it: The stark relationship between income inequality and crime

'In a study published in 2014, Daniel Hicks at the University of Oklahoma and Joan Hamory Hicks at the University of California in Berkeley demonstrated that over a 20-year period, the American states that had the greatest inequality in visible expenditure—spending on items such as clothing, jewellery, cars, and eating out—also suffered the most from violent crime. So if you’ve got it, don’t flaunt it—especially if your neighbours don’t have it as well.'

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If poverty is the highest driver of crime, why did crime not spike or even go up during the great depression when poverty was so rampant.

Do you have data for this or are these just claims?

During the great depression, there was a huge income gap between a large portion of Americans and the very wealthy. There is also no gun regulation and you could purchase fully automatic firearms.
I didn't say "income gap", I said "poverty".
Even with all those elements crime did not spike.

Why?

Gun violence did not increase.

Why?
I suspect machine gunnings went down because prohibition ended.
There were no school shootings.

Why?
Low availability of AR-15s?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟713,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you have data for this or are these just claims?
12 seconds on Google is all it took. I will leave you to research it.

IMG_7818.jpeg

I didn't say "income gap", I said "poverty".
The income gap is indicative to the poverty level. Want me to spend another 12 seconds on Google
I suspect machine gunnings went down because prohibition ended.
Another 12 second:

IMG_7819.jpeg

That would be four years after the start of the depression
Low availability of AR-15s?
But plenty of Thompson sub machine guns and BAR’s

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟496,318.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's like throwing more money at Joe for the border--it will just be used to bring in more illegals. So too money will flow to the schools with bad teachers and poor discipline. School choice is needed, so if parents want to they can send their children to a school where the kids can learn. Right now money has been poured into schools with poor performance. Joe Biden is notorious for his opposition of black children being bused to white schools. Give these children a chance, they should be able to attend goods schools. Schools need to quit teaching DEI and focus on math and English.
I don't think that a lack of teaching children "math and english" is what causes poverty. Unless those children go into STEM, those skills are pretty useless above a certain level, when it comes to jobs. You can't just teach people math or english and expect them to magically have a job materialise after school or college, especially in todays world, where any kind of creative job is in dire threat of being done by friend computer sooner or later.

What would really help young people avoid unemployment and poverty, in my opinion, would be a strengthening of the trades. Encourage children to go into trades, improve working conditions and public image for those jobs and you might get plenty of people who have gainful employment for as long as the AI overlords don't build robots who can tile a roof or insulate a wall. They might even make it halfway to retirement before their jobs are obsolete.

Unless of course if the goal is not to ensure that those children are prepared for the job market, but only to ensure they aren't taught DEI or wokeness. Then I guess occupying their minds with english or math is an acceptable choice.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟563,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Least accountable? Now I know you are joking here. Least trained? I know a lot of governmental employees who have a lot less training than Cops do.

Are those other employees armed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟489,784.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟373,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
If that is the case then why do you suppose it is. Could be the private schools are doing a better job of educating them?
No. If you've read the research you'd know that there there has been a very very mild improvement on the bottom end and absolutely no real change for scores.
Privatization of education is just another way for someone to make money on someone else's labour.

There is a kernal of truth in that. School shooters generally don't have criminal records. But less money to educate under privileged kids? I wasn't aware that it cost a public school more to educate an under privileged kid.
On the wholethat is true because most kids learning in poverty have mental health issues and anxiety that they pick up from the parents. So yes kids in poverty tend to need more learning supports. By way of example (ug....this one depresses me,...sorry). I have a parent with PTSD, high anxiety, agorophobia, and schizophrenia. She has a son (gr9) whose been with me for 3 years. He did as best as she could which was....barely enough. But in the last year, she's unfortunately, started to plant some very unhelpful seeds in her brain. In addition to being saddled with those mental health issues, she also has a bit of a "ghosts, spirits are cool and real" thing going on. At the start of the year she began to tell her son that bad spirits are following him everywhere and that his terrible father is one of those people. Sadly, you wouldn't be too surprised to learn that he's developed some paranoia and is now seeing spirits around him. All.the.time.

I live in a high needs school and almost half of all thr kids in our school have education plans or behaviour plans or both. Sometimes the parents are doing thr best they can...and sometimes they aren't. But either way their kids brain development is affected by poverty, no doubt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟762,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A big part of the reason everything boiled over after Freddie Grey is that society had, for too long, enabled criminal cops.

You and many other “law and order” conservatives seek to enable criminal cops. For all of your anti-government rhetoric, you’re eager to cede power to the least capable, least trained, least accountable armed branch of it. But I suppose it doesn’t matter if it’s only the poor and minorities who suffer.
I didn’t know there was a national police force in the USA. We have 50 states and thousands of municipalities with political corruption with school boards, police, mayors, town councils etc. It is better to use packaged rhetoric though for analysis.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟373,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I didn’t know there was a national police force in the USA. We have 50 states and thousands of municipalities with political corruption with school boards, police, mayors, town councils etc. It is better to use packaged rhetoric though for analysis.
Do you feel you need evidence for statements like that or do you take the dozen or so stories of nationwide corruption and just assume it about ALL governments and fellow Americans?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But plenty of Thompson sub machine guns and BAR’s
Oh come on. The Thompson was expensive and rare and the BAR was even more rare in civilian hands during the 1930s. What connection to poverty do school shootings have anyway?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟762,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you feel you need evidence for statements like that or do you take the dozen or so stories of nationwide corruption and just assume it about ALL governments and fellow Americans?

So you make a generalization and say skepticism towards it is an unfair generalization? I said society is more complicated than your generalization. Your double speak now infers that I am making an anti social generalization that all of society is corrupt. I said there is corruption spread around in many places which produces multiple problems.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,966.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Are those other employees armed?
So now you want to change the subject? Okay. It ap I ears your real concern is what they are trained in and how much training they receive in specific things.

So what kind of training do you think cops should receive that they aren't getting?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,966.00
Faith
Pentecostal
live in a high needs school and almost half of all thr kids in our school have education plans or behaviour plans or both. Sometimes the parents are doing thr best they can...and sometimes they aren't. But either way their kids brain development is affected by poverty, no doubt
You aren't talking about a poor kid. You are talking about a kid with special but needs. Two different things. From what you are saying this parent has serious mental health problems. Probably a good reason why she's poor. She has probably passed down genetics to her child as well. It's a very sad situation. And more money is required to help kids with special needs like that. But it's not cause poor kids cost more. It's kids with serious developmental issues that need more help.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟904,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
School shooters don't have criminal records.

The money needed to be spent on school police forces means less is available to educate underprivileged children.
and many ( not all) but many are minors OR have known mental health issues ( both groups are not allowed to process firearms. In fact, if it can be proven who provided or allowed to be provided a firearm to either group that person can often get in trouble. An exception is if either the person took reasonable steps to secure the weapon and the person got hold of it anyway; or in the case of adults who are mentally ill if the person did not know, nor could they have REASONABLY known the person was unstable.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟373,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
You aren't talking about a poor kid. You are talking about a kid with special but needs. Two different things.
I am talking about a child whose poverty and context has affected his mental health. If you like I can tell you about any of other poor students in my class....but they also have mental health issues (which...is...my point).

From what you are saying this parent has serious mental health problems. Probably a good reason why she's poor.
She DEFINITELY does and it is a HUUUUUGE reason for her poverty but not hte only one.
She has probably passed down genetics to her child as well. It's a very sad situation.
Yup. A LOT of those when you are always around kids in poverty.

And more money is required to help kids with special needs like that. But it's not cause poor kids cost more. It's kids with serious developmental issues that need more help.
Poverty affects mental health. And, sadly, of course, mental health can affect poverty.

Poor kids don't get:
Regular rest
Regular, appropriate nutritious food
Regular reminders of their worth
Regular reminders that the adults in their life care for them.
Opportunities to enrich their lives (access to camps or robust extra curricular learning opportunities, sports teams)
A home environment that is:
*peaceful
*calm
*filled with love
*organized
*enriching (no books, for example)
*Supportive

All those things, they end up getting at school; at our school and ideally at every school that serves these communities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0