• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Please help-I swore on my life to god that I wouldn’t do something but …..

Guitar1991

Nov 8, 2021
United Kingdom
✟8,433.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I swore on my life that I would stop doing something because I know it wasn’t healthy. I gave in last night and now im terrified that something terrible is going to happen to me or someone else which would cause me die out of guilt .

I’ve been diagnosed with ocd and borderline personality disorder and generalised anxiety disorder.

I always make this promises on the spot and I know I shouldn’t .

I feel awful that I’ve broken my promise and have asked for forgiveness and I will try harder next time .

any help, would be really appreciated

I’m so sorry god please forgive me .

Daniel Hoseini

Sep 1, 2021
North-Brabant
✟43,401.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesus forbade us to swear. So repent of it and don't worry - your fate is in God's hands and He is not going to curse you to fulfill your oath (although something bad might happen indeed from the devil's activity by God's allowance. That's why we must avoid swearing).

Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

Guitar1991

Nov 8, 2021
United Kingdom
✟8,433.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you for replying and for you’re help. I will make sure not to do it again does this mean that something bad will happen now because god might let something awful to happen from the devil ? I’m worried for my family as well. I have ocd and I’m terrified at every moment that something bad will happen at any moment because of my sin and stupidity

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
God is for you, not against you. He isn't looking for some technicality so he has an excuse to zap you.

The LORD passed before him, and proclaimed,
“The LORD, the LORD,
a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger,
and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness,
keeping steadfast love for the thousandth generation,
forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin,
yet by no means clearing the guilty,
but visiting the iniquity of the parents
upon the children
and the children’s children,
to the third and the fourth generation.” Exodus 34:6-7 (NRSV)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
oes this mean that something bad will happen now because god might let something awful to happen from the devil ?

No it does not mean that something bad will happen.
Read, memorise 1John1:9 God is faithful and will forgive us our sins and purifies us from all unrighteousness.

So don't make promises, as God does not make bargains with us, he expects obedience from us.
as International OCD Foundation | 25 Tips for Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment
says just acknowledge your ocd voice, don't talk, argue or ignore it, just say " yes that is right" and then ignore it.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I swore on my life that I would stop doing something because I know it wasn’t healthy. I gave in last night and now im terrified that something terrible is going to happen to me or someone else which would cause me die out of guilt .

I’ve been diagnosed with ocd and borderline personality disorder and generalised anxiety disorder.

I feel awful that I’ve broken my promise and have asked for forgiveness and I will try harder next time .

Please note that the Bible refers to the devil as god and refers to God as God. If you capitalize your own name but not Gods what does that say? Never make promises to Him that you cannot even keep to yourself. Next time, picture Jesus sitting in the room next to you- because He practically is.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Please note that the Bible refers to the devil as god and refers to God as God. If you capitalize your own name but not Gods what does that say? Never make promises to Him that you cannot even keep to yourself.
Good gosh, do you really think it's necessary to pile on to someone who's beating himself up enough already? Especially with nonsense like that. Picking at him over a silly point of grammar that God surely wouldn't care about in the least? Seriously? And you expect us to believe that you never fail to follow through on your intent to not sin?

Get over yourself. You owe Guitar1991 a huge amends.

God understands our weakness and loves a contrite heart. OCD and anxiety disorders are horrible. I'm reminded of some of the Ten Commandments for the Scrupulous:
5. You shall not worry about powerful and vivid thoughts, desires, and imaginings involving sex and religion unless you deliberately generate them for the purpose of offending God.
6. You shall not worry about powerful and intense feelings, including sexual feelings or emotional outbursts, unless you deliberately generate them to offend God.
10.You shall put your total trust in Jesus Christ, knowing he loves you as only God can and that he will never allow you to lose your soul.​

I'm also reminded of the wisdom of St. Thérèse of Lisieux:
“What sweet joy it is to think that God is just—that is, he takes into account our weakness, he knows perfectly the fragility of our nature. What should I be afraid of?”​

We all fail in our intent to go and sin no more. I can't promise to never sin again, but I can certainly intend to, and contrition pleases God immensely.
"My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy."​

May you walk in peace.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good gosh, do you really think it's necessary to pile on to someone who's beating himself up enough already? Especially with nonsense like that. Picking at him over a silly point of grammar that God surely wouldn't care about in the least? Seriously? And you expect us to believe that you never fail to follow through on your intent to not sin?

Get over yourself. You owe Guitar1991 a huge amends.

God understands our weakness and loves a contrite heart. OCD and anxiety disorders are horrible. I'm reminded of some of the Ten Commandments for the Scrupulous:
5. You shall not worry about powerful and vivid thoughts, desires, and imaginings involving sex and religion unless you deliberately generate them for the purpose of offending God.
6. You shall not worry about powerful and intense feelings, including sexual feelings or emotional outbursts, unless you deliberately generate them to offend God.
10.You shall put your total trust in Jesus Christ, knowing he loves you as only God can and that he will never allow you to lose your soul.​

I'm also reminded of the wisdom of St. Thérèse of Lisieux:
“What sweet joy it is to think that God is just—that is, he takes into account our weakness, he knows perfectly the fragility of our nature. What should I be afraid of?”​

We all fail in our intent to go and sin no more. I can't promise to never sin again, but I can certainly intend to, and contrition pleases God immensely.
"My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy."​

May you walk in peace.
I don't owe anybody anything. Our Father in heaven who gave each of us life and gave us our blessed families and the intelligence and intellect to use grammar in defining words and names of importance- when was the last time you were hard on yourself and signed your name with a lower case letter? You don't think He takes notice when someone spells His name with the same respect as an inanimate object? There is a reason why our Bible, which we believe to be the Holy Word of God, refers to Himself as " LORD" and if you want to be so presumptuous as to think you " know" what God cares about in " the least" and think that His Holy name can be excused as silly grammar, I would guess again.

If you do not carefully follow all the words of this law, which are written in this book, and do not revere this glorious and awesome name—the Lord your God—Deuteronomy 28:58

Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always Deuteronomy 14:23

Revere the Lord, your God Always.

Make no mistake, Our God is a jealous God and He does not need us to be God. We are not all Gods children, as Jesus told people " You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it." John 8:44.

So my point is if you capitalize the devils name and give God a lowercase, I am pretty sure He will take notice regardless of what travesty is ailing you that probably would pale in comparison to having your name blotted out of the Book of Life for showing disrespect- but you might find that silly too.

Instead of apologizing to Guitar 1991, I chose to apologize to the Lord for witnessing the disrespect which probably was not intentional but is still part of the Great Falling Away we are witnessing today of people making excuses for the lack of respect shown by others and pointing the finger or being critical of the one who is not in error or out of line AT ALL.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am pretty sure He will take notice
What he will notice and care about is the way you heap self-righteous abuse on someone who's struggling enough already, over nits that he most certainly cares nothing about. When you face him you will be deeply ashamed of your behavior here.

Upvote 0