Jan 6, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟17,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My answer to whether or not you can afford it is if you are on government assisstance. I don't believe anyone should purposely have more kids if the taxpayers have to raise them.

Depends on what you mean by Govt assistance, we got insurance fro the govt and will be getting it again in this state we just moved to, we can not afford insurance regardless of if we had 20 kids or none. Also WIC, WIC is a govt funded program that sometimes has nothing to do with income and everything to do with nutrition.

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't believe anyone should purposely have more kids if the taxpayers have to raise them.
What's wrong with using government assistance? EVERYONE's tax money (including those On govt assistance) pays for it, so if you need it why not use it?

Upvote 0

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What's wrong with using government assistance? EVERYONE's tax money (including those On govt assistance) pays for it, so if you need it why not use it?
I agree we all have to put into the charity pool whether or not they use it. But we all pay for the public schools, too.

We used to accept WIC, but stopped because we felt conviction over it. What did John Baptist tell the soldiers who came to him? "Be content with your pay." I've heard the old time soldiers would 'conscript' quite a lot, and he was probably addressing that more than anything. BUT, we felt that, as an Airman, DH needed to be content with his pay. Also, if we want the government-sponsered wellfare state to end, we have to stop using it. Granted, 1 family won't change anything, and we still pay our taxes while voting for change, but all we can do, after all, is what we personally can do.

Please don't think I look down on anyone who does take assistance (especially those who actually need it). I know DH and I tend to look at things differently than most people. So much so that I can seldom even explain it properly. Those are just the 2 reasons we had to not get WIC anymore.

(Another one is now I can send DH to get milk instead of having to do it myself. Also I can buy organic milk, and free range eggs, and bottled juice with neat flavors my children like. ANd I don't have to get it all at once if I don't need it, etc. FREEDOM!)

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We've never taken government assistance... even WIC. We qualify, but just don't have a peace about going on it, so we don't. I do know of some large families who Do make use of it though, and I see no shame in that, as long as they and the L-rd are on the same page.

I just get tired of hearing that same old line about "as long as you can Afford them you can have them". It just gets ooollllddddd, KWIM?

Upvote 0

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We've never taken government assistance... even WIC. We qualify, but just don't have a peace about going on it, so we don't. I do know of some large families who Do make use of it though, and I see no shame in that, as long as they and the L-rd are on the same page.

I just get tired of hearing that same old line about "as long as you can Afford them you can have them". It just gets ooollllddddd, KWIM?
Yeah, I know. People nowadays think you have to have a bank account for each child to buy them a car and send them to college, or you are cheating them. puh-lease!

Upvote 0

VictoriousSpirit

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2006
California
✟55,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We generally make light of it. People ask how many children we have, and DH has 6 (5 are mine). They will be very suprised and say "SIX??!" and we proudly declare "Half-way there!"
(Having heard that a quiver would hold 12 arrows. Also at the current rate, and given my mom's 'early' menopause, 12 should be about right.)

May I ask when you started having children? You seem young to have had five. God blesses families no matter their size. I don't think having a large family is wrong. My father is number 6 of 8. I don't know if I'll have that many:p but who Knows.

Upvote 0

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
May I ask when you started having children? You seem young to have had five. God blesses families no matter their size. I don't think having a large family is wrong. My father is number 6 of 8. I don't know if I'll have that many:p but who Knows.
Ask away!

j/k

I married at 18, had my first when I was 21, the second was over 3 years later. Then we got ahold of the "Yay, Children!" mentality and they've been a bit closer together. My youngest is 6 1/2 weeks old.

Upvote 0