Pastor John MacArthur says there is no such thing as mental illness, calls PTSD ‘grief’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,743,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In what at least one critic has dismissed as the Dunning Krueger Effect in action, Pastor John MacArthur of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California, claims there is no such thing as mental illness.

More than one in five U.S. adults live with a mental illness, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Over one in five youth (ages 13-18) either currently or at some point during their life have had a seriously debilitating mental illness. About one in 25 U.S. adults also lives with a serious mental illness, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or major depression.

Days before the beginning of Mental Health Awareness Month, however, MacArthur, who is also the president of The Master's College and Seminary, called mental illnesses “noble lies” while speaking during a panel discussion at Grace Church of the Valley last Thursday.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: Vambram

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟147,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In what at least one critic has dismissed as the Dunning Krueger Effect in action, Pastor John MacArthur of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California, claims there is no such thing as mental illness.

More than one in five U.S. adults live with a mental illness, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Over one in five youth (ages 13-18) either currently or at some point during their life have had a seriously debilitating mental illness. About one in 25 U.S. adults also lives with a serious mental illness, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or major depression.

Days before the beginning of Mental Health Awareness Month, however, MacArthur, who is also the president of The Master's College and Seminary, called mental illnesses “noble lies” while speaking during a panel discussion at Grace Church of the Valley last Thursday.

Continued below.
He is very wrong about this.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟73,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read that article. Although I disagree with his general, basic conclusion, Dr. John McArthur did speak some truth about how children are too often medicated far too much because of prescriptions from psychologists and psychiatrists.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟456,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I learned much from John MacArthur's bible study books and found his academic knowledge of the bible to be solid through my journey of growth as a Christian. However, I have been distressed to read his words on multiple issues, including mental illness, charismatics (I am not one), and the Gospel Coalition. I read a quote by Justin Giboney that coalesced my feelings into words.

"MacArthur cast these condemnations casually, with an apparent air of self-righteousness that suggests his theological expertise is paired with an infantile understanding of neighborly love (Heb. 5:11–13). Deep knowledge of systematic theology, unfortunately, can exist alongside a desperate need for remedial instruction on the greatest commandments (Matt. 22:37–39)"

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟448,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I learned much from John MacArthur's bible study books and found his academic knowledge of the bible to be solid through my journey of growth as a Christian. However, I have been distressed to read his words on multiple issues, including mental illness, charismatics (I am not one), and the Gospel Coalition.

I've learned much from his books and sermons also.
But there are a few things I do think he gets wrong, things like this one.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

Continued below.
When I was very young, I had this same thought, that there's really no such thing

But today, I know more

I myself have severe ptsd and no one can tell me it is no big deal, which is what it sounds like he's saying. I also know someone I suspect has severe Autism, un- diagnosed. This person cannot even take care of his basic needs, so obviously, something is wrong. I've known the person for some time and his behavior is just... well, people around him cannot understand the way he thinks. And he doesn't even think he has any kind of mental disorder, which is keeping him from getting help. It is really odd. I help when I can but I find myself frustrated because it seems he doesn't want help, yet it is obvious he needs it.

• Friendly
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,143,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Continued below.

O*M*G*!!! .... and to think I used to like listening to him back in the 1990's. :ahah:

C'mon, MacArthur! You can do better than that.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟147,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was very young, I had this same thought, that there's really no such thing

But today, I know more

I myself have severe ptsd and no one can tell me it is no big deal, which is what it sounds like he's saying. I also know someone I suspect has severe Autism, un- diagnosed. This person cannot even take care of his basic needs, so obviously, something is wrong. I've known the person for some time and his behavior is just... well, people around him cannot understand the way he thinks. And he doesn't even think he has any kind of mental disorder, which is keeping him from getting help. It is really odd. I help when I can but I find myself frustrated because it seems he doesn't want help, yet it is obvious he needs it.
In 2008 I was diagnosed with PTSD and my employer and doctors recommended that I go on disability. I knew it was just a bad case of insomnia and stress. I was out of work for about 9 months on unemployment but have worked full time ever since.
But I know mental illness and PTSD are real.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟970,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The pastor should stick to theology and leave mental health to the professionals. And we'll promise to not act like we are experts in theology

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟118,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Continued below.
This pastor is a false prophet. He needs to read John. Here is the church's website, if anyone wants to contact his church condemning his false teachings: Contact | Grace Community Church

John 9:1-3: "As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, ‘Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?’ Jesus answered, ‘It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.’"

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟51,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the Middle Ages, doctors were figuring out illnesses and treatments were hit or miss. Even during the time of the Spanish Flu, influenza was thought to be caused by bacteria, Ideas of infectious agents were crude. That didn't mean disease didn't exist.

Psychology seems to be close to those times. There's no debuggers for the human mind for doctors to inspect the "code." Physical damage and abnormalities have to be significant enough to be noticed. Hard experimentation to confirm or refute theories is difficult. Read someone like Freud and you wonder if he had more issues than his patients. Granted that Freudian psychology seems to have passed away, it still seems hit or miss, and why a therapy or medicine works may not be understood, only that it does.

I suspect MacArthur already has a bias against psychology, just as some in the 14th Century thought doctors were quacks. Yet even in the 14th Century there were successful doctors, though their theories may have been off. Wouldn't be surprised if MacArthur sees psychology in the same way, and already suspected there is no basis for psychiatric disorders. Yet just because a 14th Century doctor may have thought a disease was caused by the imbalance of humors doesn't mean disease doesn't exist.

PTSD is very real, and that MacArthur thinks it's only associated with combat shows he doesn't understand it at all. Nor has he likely observed OCD or ADHD. He's wrong. Very wrong. Wrong enough I can't help but wonder what else he's wrong about. Maybe he's like a preacher I know who's rock solid on doctrine, but gets out-there on non-doctrinal issues. Can't say I have any great desire for a MacArthur study bible now, but I didn't really have one before.

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟74,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I read that article. Although I disagree with his general, basic conclusion, Dr. John McArthur did speak some truth about how children are too often medicated far too much because of prescriptions from psychologists and psychiatrists.

Kinda where I stand. I'm ADHD, and while I do think it's very much a real thing, I am willing to acknowledge the detractors have a point about it being over-diagnosed.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,075,437.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
This pastor is a false prophet. He needs to read John. Here is the church's website, if anyone wants to contact his church condemning his false teachings: Contact | Grace Community Church

John 9:1-3: "As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, ‘Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?’ Jesus answered, ‘It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.’"
In this day and time the main danger is more of a false profit!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,075,437.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Yes, the love of money/profits can be dangerous as well.
I have been enjoying the ministry of India's Zac Poonen here lately, who lived a life very similar to the author of the Pilgrims Progress, John Bunyan. He therefore tells the story well... Also mentioning that John Bunyan had not theblove of money...

• Informative
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟118,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been enjoying the ministry of India's Zac Poonen here lately, who lived a life very similar to the author of the Pilgrims Progress, John Bunyan. He therefore tells the story well... Also mentioning that John Bunyan had not theblove of money...
I might try listening to him, but the rocket launch is more fascinating at the moment. But, I will check him out.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,075,437.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I might try listening to him, but the rocket launch is more fascinating at the moment. But, I will check him out.
I am a SpaceX fanatic and caught the California launch earlier in the day. With the launch delay I will be on my way to work with this one!

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟118,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am a SpaceX fanatic and caught the California launch earlier in the day. With the launch delay I will be on my way to work with this one!
Well, hopefully your work goes well. I am a general space/science fanatic myself, even though I have reservations (and a disdain) about Musk, but space itself is fascinating, regardless of who launches the rocket.

Upvote 0