• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I read your first post.

Do you know if your blog can be found from search engines? If so, someone might be looking for the answers you provide.

When I got intrusive thoughts, I was finally able to find an answer on the Internet from gotquestions.org

But I still deal with them to this day. 10 years later, and still battling with it...

But I believe that what I have was caused from taking anti-depressants when I didn't need them (I had a bad break up with an ex-boyfriend and had trouble getting over him. I lacked guidance from my mom; I had no idea I could talk to God about my problems and ask for help).

Upvote 0

Karabear10

Aug 14, 2022
✟27,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I read your first post.

Do you know if your blog can be found from search engines? If so, someone might be looking for the answers you provide.

When I got intrusive thoughts, I was finally able to find an answer on the Internet from gotquestions.org

But I still deal with them to this day. 10 years later, and still battling with it...

But I believe that what I have was caused from taking anti-depressants when I didn't need them (I had a bad break up with an ex-boyfriend and had trouble getting over him. I lacked guidance from my mom; I had no idea I could talk to God about my problems and ask for help).
thank you for reading! i'm not sure if it can be found. i hope so. Being able to relate to other ocd sufferers helps me a ton! Thats why i wanted to write

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟145,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read your first post.

Obsessions and intrusive thoughts can last a long time! Have the thoughts been about the same topic all this time, or have they shifted themes? Have you been able to get therapy, or learn therapy strategies, for your intrusive thoughts?

Reactions: Karabear10
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟145,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Obsessions and intrusive thoughts can last a long time! Have the thoughts been about the same topic all this time, or have they shifted themes? Have you been able to get therapy, or learn therapy strategies, for your intrusive thoughts?
They're usually Christian-related. They have varied over the 10 years. I mentioned it once to a doctor and was embarrassed about it; decided to never mention it again. I had tried a breathing exercise for a little bit, but I would forget to practice it, so I decided to forget about that.

I had been on Sertraline (an anti-depressant) about 2 years ago. I noticed it had hushed them down quite a bit. But I noticed I was overall slow in my thinking and actions, so I quit taking them. I've thought about going back on them, but haven't gone to a doctor about them.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟145,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They're usually Christian-related. They have varied over the 10 years. I mentioned it once to a doctor and was embarrassed about it; decided to never mention it again. I had tried a breathing exercise for a little bit, but I would forget to practice it, so I decided to forget about that.

I had been on Sertraline (an anti-depressant) about 2 years ago. I noticed it had hushed them down quite a bit. But I noticed I was overall slow in my thinking and actions, so I quit taking them. I've thought about going back on them, but haven't gone to a doctor about them.
Yes, not everyone understands OCD. Even when looking for a therapist, it's important to find one who understands and knows how to treat OCD. ERP (exposure and response prevention) is considered to be one of the most effective therapies for OCD; I think ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) is used sometimes as well. If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend looking into therapy, and/or educating yourself about therapy strategies and learning to apply them. I'm happy to recommend resources, if you'd like! A few of my favorites are:
Scrupulosity.com: Faith-based Solutions for Religious OCD - Scrupulosity.com
OCD and Scrupulosity Archives - ACCFS
The OCD Christian
And a good online support group (private, so it isn't seen by people on your public page): Christianity and Anxiety Disorders - Let's Talk | Facebook

Upvote 0

Graydon Booth

Psalm 19:1
May 10, 2022
Sacramento
✟23,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone. I just started a blog about my OCD and my faith. Please check it out if you'd like to. My Love for Jesus and My Hate for OCD
Not a bad way to look at it. My OCD always gets in doubts about God's existence, Jesus being Messiah, etc. The way you've described not resisting the thoughts and that they really don't matter is quite helpful

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟145,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not a bad way to look at it. My OCD always gets in doubts about God's existence, Jesus being Messiah, etc. The way you've described not resisting the thoughts and that they really don't matter is quite helpful
Have you been able to find much information to help you with treating your OCD?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone. I just started a blog about my OCD and my faith. Please check it out if you'd like to. My Love for Jesus and My Hate for OCD
Wow, a fellow OCD person. :) I have OCD myself. For instance, I really enjoy certain textures, sounds and smells, but only to the extreme for very specific ones (such as a second hand leather coat). Sometimes, I mess with my hair, especially when not occupied with anything, or when a scenario gets tough. Some OCD obsessions last a few months or years and go away. At age 6, I liked the shape of the lowercase a, specifically the double-story "a", though I did like the shape of the single-story "ɑ" as well. So, between ages 6 and 7 (for a half-year to a year), I wrote "a" and "ɑ" on everything that was made of paper, with permission mainly.

Most recently, I like when some folks say the name "Joe", especially those with an accent or my close friends, ever since September 18th, 2023. The name "Joe" is monosyllablic and ends in the ō (long "o") sound, which the long "o" ending is somewhat uncommon for a name. Maybe I liked the name, as I heard so many people mention Joe Biden or something. Yeah, lots of mundane things pique my interest.

At ages 16-20, I loved saying the word "Habibi", as I heard it on a YT video about an Egyptian-American guy who prank called an Arab man pretending the Arab's boat was stolen (link 1) "Habibi" means darling in Arabic apparently, and it sounded so cute to say. I don't say the word, as I got in mild trouble by my boss at a weekend job during the college school year for saying it to a male Arab coworker four years ago. That obsession ended in 2019-2020.

At age 17, I let my 2012-2013 model year bicycle rust a bit when riding it to school. I trashed it, and wanted to see how rusty the chain could get, and referred to the bike as the "Rusty Bike Chain" and covered the frame with free stickers (such as the ones people stick on their laptops or water bottles). I have a newer bike now which I got shortly before trashing the old one back in 2016, and won't trash it. That obsession for destruction of my bike ended in July 2018, when my parents sent the old bike off for scrap.

Also, I think bananas are somewhat funny for no reason, and have since age 19 due to immaturity. But nowadays, way less so.

I have other OCD things as well, and all are pretty harmless, except for perfectionism, which happened in a calculus class back in 2018, where I was too afraid to turn in my homework as the professor graded extremely harshly.

Link 1 (video I referenced, note that it is comedy by a voice artist and is more similar to PG-13 due to some language):

Link 2: There is no second link. That's all folks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WilliamK76

“The truth shall make you free”
Oct 2, 2023
Va
✟2,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I wonder sometimes if OCD is like an inherent awareness of God’s holiness from which we fell as a creation. And are constantly trying to appease the guilt of not measuring up to it through the numerous forms of compulsive rituals that take shape in our lives to ease and pacify the anxiety that it creates?

Upvote 0