Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ok, for the 4th time.

Source and Date : The Council of Ephesus in 431

Oh, so at the Council of Ephesus, in 431 AD, the bishops of the Church who gathered there all got together and said, and I quote,

"""The Council of Ephesus in 431 sanctioned the CULT of the Virgin as Mother of God; the dissemination of images of the Virgin and Child, which came to embody church doctrine.""

I'm so glad that they spoke of themselves in the past tense, and used a dating system that didn't exist yet. Because that definitely happened.

But, and if you'd be willing to humor me, ignorant fool that I am, do you think you could offer me a link, perhaps, to the primary source where you read them say this?

Anyway, ViaCrucis in his kitchen in 2024 ate a bowl of cereal and and partook of the CULT of coffee drinking. It was corn flakes by the way.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟20,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
-But, and if you'd be willing to humor me, ignorant fool that I am
But, and if you'd be willing to humor me, ignorant fool that I am, do you think you could offer me a link, perhaps, to the primary source where you read them say this?

Good, im glad that we can agree that the "cult of the virgin", (Cult of Mary) was designated not by Baptists, but by the early leadership of what has been rebranded as the Catholic Church.

And if you will just do some study, you'll find that the original "church of Mary" was a remodeled " Goddess Diana worship place" where those in Ephesus who worshiped here now had a new Lady.

And as i told you.... the "perpetual virgin" and the "queen of heaven" were originally the Goddess DIANA's titles, in her "church" before it was converted by the "cult of the Virgin" (Mary), into HER Church by those (early Catholics) who titled it "the Church of Mary".

Ok then.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Good, im glad that we can agree that the "cult of the virgin", (Cult of Mary) was designated not by Baptists, but by the early leadership of what has been rebranded as the Catholic Church.

Oh right. At the Council of Ephesus a bunch of Diana cultists got together and were all "We're the Council of Ephesus of 431, and we're starting the Cult of Mary now". That's definitely what happened.

Absolutely. I'd be an insane person to question the reasonableness of that. That's how facts and logic work.

And if you will just do some study, you'll find that the original "church of Mary" was a remodeled " Goddess Diana worship place" where those in Ephesus who worshiped here now had a new Lady.

Now is "Goddess Diana Worship Place" the official title of the place? You're sure it wasn't "Diana's Super Cool Worship Place Where People Worship Diana"?

But I tell you what, I'll Google "Goddess Diana Worship Place" and I'm sure the first result I get will be a "Church of Mary".

Oh, well color me silly, you're right. That was the result I got.

DianaWhat.PNG

And as i told you.... the "perpetual virgin" and the "queen of heaven" were originally the Goddess DIANA's titles, in her "church" before it was converted by the "cult of the Virgin" (Mary), into HER Church by those (early Catholics) who titled it "the Church of Mary".

Ok then.

Oh I know. Didn't you see the Google results I posted? You've already convinced me. The depth and breadth of your dizzying level of acumen has totally defeated me.

Teach me more Sensei.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟20,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I tell you what, I'll Google "Goddess Diana Worship Place"

That's my phrase

So, if you find out where the "Church of Mary"... originated, then you'll be led to Ephesians, (Paul's Epistle).
it was those worshipers of The Goddess Diana, and it was her Temple.

Here is a bit of the History

Mary, the mother of Christ, was not the first woman honoured in Ephesus. The city had a long tradition of religious worship of female deities. The first of them had been a local Anatolian goddess Kybele who was later merged with the Greek goddess Artemis.
(The Romans called her "Diana".)
The temple erected to the latter – the Artemision of Ephesus – was once considered to be one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

See that one?
That was the Temple of Diana in Ephesus. (Artemis) .
It was "converted", rebuilt, torn down, rebuilt......a lot of history with that one.

So, there is a lot of Info related to our discussion, and if you are interested, you'll just have to dig.

Perhaps a bit of research into the connected between the Goddess Diana and Mary, would yield a harvest.

And did you know that a Pointed Steeple that you find on many Churches .....both Catholic and Protestant, are related to "spring right". "paganism" and are representing the "male symbol of fertility'?

That's also an interesting study..

Ok then, we've rabbit trailed a bit from my Thread's literal purpose.

Ive enjoy talking to you about these discoveries.

Im going to get the Thread back on the rails now..

-A

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟20,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reader,

There are some who teach that the "Gospel" is : Acts 2:38.

Now, if you are familiar with Christianity, then you know that everyone is invited to become a Christian......Jews, Gentiles,.........
>"The World"... = John 3:16.

So, one of the things we find out about the NT, is... = if an Apostle does not know something then they can't teach it until they know it.

And Peter, who was the Act 2:38 preacher, did not understand the Gospel of the Grace of God, until Acts 15. = Not until He was taught it by Paul.

Now, How is all that relevant to Paul? and Acts 2:38

Its like this reader, ... Many people and denominations consider Acts 2:38 as the Gospel... and these people are very strong proponents for "Water baptism"..
In Fact they are so into the water aspect that they read that "Noah was saved by water" and can't understand that Had NOAH and Family gotten out of that ARK, then Noah and Family, would have DIED in that FLOOD WATER JUDGEMENT.

See, it was the ARK that kept them OUT of the WATER, is why they LIVED.., as that wooden ARK is not just their Salvation from that water, but its symbolic of the Cross of Christ that was WOOD, (A TREE) , and Christ on it, is our ARK .
How?
Christ on that WOOD, takes the Judgement for our sin, just as Noah's Ark saved Noah and Family from the WATER that was God's Judgment.

Now let me show you a few things..

First, Peter was not water baptized in Acts 2:38. and you can read it for yourself.
So, we could stop right there, as that proves that WATER is not going to save anything, when the very person who is telling those JEWS to get in the water, was not himself water baptized that day.
But lets continue, as some of you, are waking up, and some of you are learning something you need to know.

= NONE in the "upper room" were water baptized in Acts 2:38, and you can read it for yourself.
And Peter and those same were speaking with tongues, yet none were water baptized., in Acts 2:38

Water Baptism, began before Jesus showed up, Reader.
Its a big part of the Jewish OT Situation, and you've read that John The Baptist.. (John the Water Baptizer) was baptizing Jews long before Jesus showed up, and this saved NONE of them.. It washed NONE of their sin away.
So, when The JEW = PETER........ was preaching in Acts 2:38, He preached all he knew, and that was for that day, but it is not for now, regarding water being necessary as a part of the process of God's Redemption.
it wasn't a part of it on that day... or Peter would have gotten water baptized and those in the upper room also..

See that?

So why did Peter Preach it? = Its because its ALL HE KNEW at that time., as at that time if you were a Jew, you repented and John the water Baptizer dunked you... it was a part of the law, and Jesus did it because as He said.>>"Let us fulfill all things".. all things related to the law, as Jesus was born under the Law.

ENTER... Paul the Apostle, who was sent to preach .. ""The preaching of the Cross is the power of God unto salvation, for everyone who Believes"".

And notice this verse.. ."Its pleased GOD by the foolishness of PREACHING.. to SAVE THOSE... who BELIEVE"... (not get in the water).

And "Save those who believe what"?

A.) Paul's gospel...>"The Gospel of the GRACE OF GOD" that is the "preaching of the Cross of Christ".

Now how do you know that Peter didnt know anything about the "Gospel of the Grace of God in Acts 2"?

Its because Peter didnt know that Gentiles could be saved, until 10 yrs after Jesus is back in Heaven.
So, if you dont KNOW that Jews and Gentiles can both be saved, then you dont understand God's Salvation, according to how PAUL was sent to teach it, by Revelation from JESUS Himself.

Read Acts of the Apostles... Chapter 10, written a decade after Jesus is back in Heaven., and discover that Peter didnt know that Gentiles could be saved... YET.. SO....= God had to give Peter a vision, to cause Him to UNDERSTAND this about Gentiles.
So, You can't preach the true Gospel, that includes GENTILES being saved.... if you dont yet know it.
And that is why Acts 2:38, is NOT The Gospel.

And here is one more.
Paul said...>"Christ sent me NOT to water baptize"........and that does not mean that we are not to be water baptized.
I was water baptized 11 yrs after i was born again. I was water baptized, about 5 yrs after i was called into the Ministry by the Holy Spirit.

See reader to understand the TRUE Gospel..... in "the time of the Gentiles".. and we are in it....
It means that the correct understanding of the process of Redemption, is not about water....its about the BLOOD OF JESUS and the CROSS of Christ and Faith that is counted by God as "righteousness", and water has no part in that, at all.

It was in Acts 15, that Peter learned what Paul knew, that Paul learned from Jesus, and from that point, all the Apostles understood "Paul's Gospel of the Grace of God" that is not related to water baptism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟95,502.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On the cross Christ died for everyone. Correct? Jesus paid everyone's debt. Right?
I don't know if Jesus died for everyone, but He paid for the debt for His people only.

If He paid for everyone's sin, then all would go to Heaven, as they have been judged in Christ, and they have no sin to be judgen on. But we know that is not the case as many will go to hell.

You still have not answered to me how can a person lose their salvation when Jesus' sacrifice was perfect?
How can one lose their salvation when Jesus paid their sins and He redeemed them, based on what they going to hell when Jesus took the punishement for all their sins? This is not something we can just activate. God in eternity past by Hos grace decided to save some. He didn't have to do that, He owes us nothing, we all deserve His wrath.

According to Scripture, how does that happen? The answer, of course, is faith.
Even faith we receive by grace from God. We are spiritually dead.

So what is the point of warning against apostasy? If there's no such thing as apostasy, then warning against it would be like me warning you about wild unicorn attacks.
Someone who once professed to be a Christian may become apostate. But a genuine Christian cannot become apostate. Those who apostatize demonstrate that they were never genuine Christians: “They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us” (1Jn 2:19).

God knows who are His. We often don't. The ones that are genuine Christians are God's, and they will not fall into apoatasy because God preserves them. Thus Jesus' warning againat apostasy is for everyone who professes to be a Christian. They genuine Christian will however not fallen away.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if Jesus died for everyone, but He paid for the debt for His people only.

You could find out, it's right there in Scripture.

"But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone." - Hebrews 2:9

"Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men." - Romans 5:18

If He paid for everyone's sin, then all would go to Heaven, as they have been judged in Christ, and they have no sin to be judgen on. But we know that is not the case as many will go to hell.

I don't believe that Limited Atonement can be defended biblically, Scripture pretty plainly says that Christ is the atonement for everyone.

"He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world." - 1 John 2:2

You still have not answered to me how can a person lose their salvation when Jesus' sacrifice was perfect?
How can one lose their salvation when Jesus paid their sins and He redeemed them, based on what they going to hell when Jesus took the punishement for all their sins? This is not something we can just activate. God in eternity past by Hos grace decided to save some. He didn't have to do that, He owes us nothing, we all deserve His wrath.

I have though. Because the way we receive what God gives is through faith. Without faith we die in our sins.

"I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins." - John 8:24

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not of your own doing; it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." - Mark 16:16

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him" - John 3:16-17

We are justified through faith, without faith we are not justified, but remain dead in our sins

"And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind." - Ephesians 2:1-3

Even faith we receive by grace from God. We are spiritually dead.

Correct. Faith is God's gift, which we receive entirely as grace through the word

"Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ" - Romans 10:17

It is entirely apart from us, entirely apart from our works; it is pure grace. Grace alone.

Someone who once professed to be a Christian may become apostate.

They wouldn't be apostate though. I can't disinherit an inheritance of a family I'm not part of. If they were never actually a Christian, if they never actually had faith, if they were never God's child, then they can't become apostate since the very concept of apostasy is rejection and departure from faith. That's what the Greek word apostasia means.

In Acts 21:21 a scandalous rumor had circulated about Paul, that he was teaching Jews to "forsake Moses". The Greek here is apostasia, to forsake, to depart, to abandon. That is, the rumor among the Jerusalem brethren was that Paul had been teaching the Jewish believers to apostatize from the Law of Moses.

In Joshua 22:22 it says God will know if His people, Israel, would be in rebellion. The LXX translates the Hebrew word merod (rebellion) as apostasia, apostasy.

In Jeremiah 2:19 it speaks of Israel's apostasy, the Hebrew word here is meshubah (turning away), which the LXX translates as apostasia.

Consistently this is the meaning of the word. One can't rebel, revolt, turn away, reject, etc that which they aren't actually a part of. A soldier that deserts their general or king hasn't actually deserted if they were never actually a soldier or a subject.

But a genuine Christian cannot become apostate. Those who apostatize demonstrate that they were never genuine Christians: “They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us” (1Jn 2:19).

This is a reference to false teachers. John is talking about those heretical teachers who were claiming to represent apostolic doctrine but were teaching the doctrines of antichrist.

"Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge. I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth. Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also. Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is the promise that he made to us—eternal life.

I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.
" - 1 John 2:18-27

These heretical teachers were wolves and not shepherds--that is the meaning here. The "us" here is most inclusive of those who teach, the apostles, presbyters, bishops of the Church etc; rather than an all inclusive "us" to mean all Christians.

More relevant to this discussion is what Paul says to Timothy,

"[...]holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith, among whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme." - 1 Timothy 19-20

There is no sense in speaking of holding to faith and the danger of making shipwreck of faith if it is impossible to make shipwreck of faith. If Hymenaeus and Alexander were never genuine believers, then it wouldn't make sense for Paul to discipline them so that they may learn not to blaspheme.

God knows who are His. We often don't. The ones that are genuine Christians are God's, and they will not fall into apoatasy because God preserves them. Thus Jesus' warning againat apostasy is for everyone who professes to be a Christian. They genuine Christian will however not fallen away.

The problem is that Scripture warns of the danger of apostasy. Saying that apostasy applies to non-believers simply doesn't make sense. A non-believer can't turn away.

And the danger of this way of thinking, as I outlined in my first response to you, still remains: It presents a scenario in which the Christian is unable to have confidence or assurance. It results in telling and teaching Christians, whether explicitly or implicitly, that their salvation is up to them, rather than God's grace and promises.

If apostasy isn't real, then it is silly for the Bible to even mention it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0