Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Unbelievable, do you realise you are destroying your argument the moon gives off its own light?

For the answer google "The old moon in the new moon's arm" for an explanation of the second image.
-
I do not need an explanation. It is easily observed the moon is a convex disk facing toward the earth and God has created the moon to give off it's light in different degrees. That is use in time keeping for signs and seasons, and for days and years;

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
-

Since our belief about the moon is as far apart as beliefs can, there is no need to state any differences. As you will not believe my beliefs and i will never believe your beliefs.
I didn't ask you for your belief. I asked for "observations that dispute this clockwork regularity that has been observed for thousands of years."

Why does a first quarter half-moon rise around noon (when the sun is high) and not just whenever it wants?

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The light of the moon comes from the sun.

But once the sunlight hits the moon, it is reflected back to us as proprietary light.

That is, the light is now property of the moon.
We're all delighted that you've found away to interpret scriptures to match reality, but not everything is about you.

d taylor is asserting the moon emits its own light.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,919,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We're all delighted that you've found away to interpret scriptures to match reality, but not everything is about you.

d taylor is asserting the moon emits its own light.

If you gave me 100.00, and I took possession of it, and tomorrow I give it to someone else, who gets the credit for this?

You or I?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I didn't ask you for your belief. I asked for "observations that dispute this clockwork regularity that has been observed for thousands of years."

Why does a first quarter half-moon rise around noon (when the sun is high) and not just whenever it wants?
-​

Because God created the lights to function in a specific order. Adam observed the same when he was living on earth as people do today. The only possible exception to this would be if God changed the lights in the sky and their function, but i doubt this. Or after the earth was divide up the circuits of the lights may have changed, to accompany the dividing of the earth (land.ground)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Because God created the lights to function in a specific order.​

So it's just a coincidence that that order corresponds exactly to a spherical moon lit by the Sun, depending on the moon-earth-sun angle?

1714581073722.png

• Winner
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟280,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-
I do not need an explanation. It is easily observed the moon is a convex disk facing toward the earth and God has created the moon to give off it's light in different degrees. That is use in time keeping for signs and seasons, and for days and years;
You are being willfully ignorant.
Tell me what is the date today because I hate to break the news to you it is based on a solar calendar not a lunar calendar.
Does this mean you like everyone else is committing sin for ignoring God's creation of the moon as a timepiece?

What about my question regarding solar eclipses?

5d9d139bb5e16a37e03a8ffc5a10e746.jpg

If the moon gives off light why is the moon's disk black and the surrounding environment plunged in darkness when compared to the illumination provided by the full moon?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So it's just a coincidence that that order corresponds exactly to a spherical moon lit by the Sun, depending on the moon-earth-sun angle?

View attachment 346929
-

How would a deception be a deception if the deception did not function like the original moon God created. Which was created to function in stages of light.

It is basically no different than a false Gospel, that on the surface looks and sound correct. But when examined against The Bible the falseness is seen (at least by some).

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You are being willfully ignorant.
Tell me what is the date today because I hate to break the news to you it is based on a solar calendar not a lunar calendar.
Does this mean you like everyone else is committing sin for ignoring God's creation of the moon as a timepiece?

What about my question regarding solar eclipses?

5d9d139bb5e16a37e03a8ffc5a10e746.jpg

If the moon gives off light why is the moon's disk black and the surrounding environment plunged in darkness when compared to the illumination provided by the full moon?
-

I will stick with J.B. Dimbleby's, All Past Time By Five Lines of Astronomical Time. Even though he was a globe earther i believe he correctly gives account of the sun and moon's functions.

All past time : by five lines of astronomical time : authenticated by the British Chronological and Astronomical Association, and the only complete record of time published : containing a classification of all eclipses and transits from creation ... showing the total number of the years of the world, and every day since creation in weeks of seven days, together with tables of the kings of Babylon, Assyria, Egypt, Judah, Israel, Persia, and Roman emperors of the first century

Jesus took away the sin of the world. Sin is not a Eternal Life issue, only a relationship/fellowship issue with God for a believer.

The moon does not give off light all the time and one of its function that God created the moon for, was eclipses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
How would a deception be a deception if the deception did not function like the original moon God created. Which was created to function in stages of light.
Where do you see that in the Bible?
Maybe you are deceiving yourself that your light functions like the moon.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟280,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-

I will stick with J.B. Dimbleby's, All Past Time By Five Lines of Astronomical Time. Even though he was a globe earther i believe he correctly gives account of the sun and moon's functions.

All past time : by five lines of astronomical time : authenticated by the British Chronological and Astronomical Association, and the only complete record of time published : containing a classification of all eclipses and transits from creation ... showing the total number of the years of the world, and every day since creation in weeks of seven days, together with tables of the kings of Babylon, Assyria, Egypt, Judah, Israel, Persia, and Roman emperors of the first century

Jesus took away the sin of the world. Sin is not a Eternal Life issue, only a relationship/fellowship issue with God for a believer.

The moon does not give off light all the time and one of its function that God created the moon for, was eclipses.
I ask you again what is today's date?
Now you are being a hypocrite because you are not using a lunar calendar but a solar calendar.
By your own standards that makes you as much a sinner as everyone else for rejecting the use of God's timepiece the moon.

Since God supposedly created the moon for eclipses explain how we sinful humans can predict eclipses in advance in regions on the earth's surface using sinful ideas such as the earth not being flat and not being a stationary body at the centre of the universe.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
-​

The Bible speaks of the new moon.
"new moon" is just the name for the phase of the moon's orbit when the Moon is between the Earth and the Sun (but not directly) and the lit side of the Moon is away from us and the surface of the Moon looks dark.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
-​

The Bible speaks of the new moon.
Sure cause the people who wrote it saw what was up in the sky, and knew that it changed from time to time. But where is this talk about 'it was created to function in stages of light'?

The Moon was created as a light to rule the night. Not to wander around in daytime and nighttime with different levels of illumination.

That sounds like something added to the Bible to match what you see in the sky.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I ask you again what is today's date?
Now you are being a hypocrite because you are not using a lunar calendar but a solar calendar.
By your own standards that makes you as much a sinner as everyone else for rejecting the use of God's timepiece the moon.

Since God supposedly created the moon for eclipses explain how we sinful humans can predict eclipses in advance in regions on the earth's surface using sinful ideas such as the earth not being flat and not being a stationary body at the centre of the universe.
-

I do not need a lecture from somebody who believes about 10% of The Bible (if that much). Eclipses were predicted long before deceptive science came about.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sure cause the people who wrote it saw what was up in the sky, and knew that it changed from time to time. But where is this talk about 'it was created to function in stages of light'?

The Moon was created as a light to rule the night. Not to wander around in daytime and nighttime with different levels of illumination.

That sounds like something added to the Bible to match what you see in the sky.

Genesis 1 again sates the two great lights were created for time keeping. Just as i see satan as a factor in the fall tempting Eve. The Bible does not have say exactly that the moon function's in stage of lighting to believe God created the moon as a light. Just as The Bible does not need to outright say satan tempted Eve.

The Bible states the moon is a created light and also states during the tribulation the moon will not give it's light.

But really what is the point in this back and forth discussion with a person who does not even believe in God.

Upvote 0

T.i.m.o.t.h.y.

Mar 7, 2024
Indiana
✟11,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are arguing against foolish bible- interpretation,
using science, and then talk about Noah's ark
as being real ?
I was responding to a person who I assumed believes the Bible except for what appeared to me to be a flat earth view which is a what you have called foolish interpretation.

However if I have been wrong, then it's best that I don't make any further posts.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,919,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was responding to a person who I assumed believes the Bible except for what appeared to me to be a flat earth view which is a what you have called foolish interpretation.

Not to mention her pet term: "intellectual dishonesty."

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟280,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not need a lecture from somebody who believes about 10% of The Bible (if that much). Eclipses were predicted long before deceptive science came about.
What an inane comment to make, you have absolutely no idea how much of the Bible I believe in let alone put a percentage value on it.
Furthermore it doesn't matter how much I believe or whether the comments are being made by atheists such as @essentialsaltes or @Hans Blaster, the common denominator is using science to refute the idea the moon produces its own light.

On the subject of eclipses ancient astronomers did use Saros (astronomy) - Wikipedia to predict solar eclipses, but is grossly inaccurate compared to the algorithms based on Newtonian physics which are able predict eclipses centuries ahead in time and to the nearest second as well as mapping eclipse paths on the earth's spherical surface to within a few meters.

These algorithms are based on the fact the Earth is (nearly) spherical, rotates on its axis and orbits the Sun.
This makes your argument science being deceptive ludicrous and more like psychological projection at work, since you seem to see deception everywhere around you.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0