Modern day systemic racism, does it exist?

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,966.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Try not to confuse your conservative fantasies for reality.
Oh I see it's only for everyone else to do but not the liberal bastions. I get it. With them it's okay to be all about the money while they teach everyone else they should be giving their money away. Got it.
They weren't 'finding a way around it'. They were literally doing what the Bakke decision said they could.
Right they found a way around it. And a way to discriminate against others.
Er, well. Elite schools attract elite talent.
I see so it's okay to cost a lot of money to get elite talent. What is elite talent anyway? Couldn't those who earn less money have elite talent? No what they are doing is attracting elite money. Or any one who is willing to spend the money. I know a kid who went to Berkeley who certainly was not elite talent, but was willing to spend the money to go. One year later they were out due to the high cost. You think all those rich kids all have elite talent? No they have elite money. Rich kids are not any more talented than those that are not.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I see so it's okay to cost a lot of money to get elite talent.
Not at all. It's a shame that in budget negotiations with our governors, the Republicans have been averse to raising or even renewing taxes to lower the burden of the UC system on students. (and in past years when we had Republican governors, the burden on students was increased to its current higher level (historically speaking).)

Also, it's important to keep the proper scale of what "a lot of money" is.

Tuition at the UCs: $11,928 (for in-state students)

Tuition at USC (boo!): $66,640

Couldn't those who earn less money have elite talent?
They certainly may, but they are also more likely to have to work rather than attend college; as we all know there are barriers to college that fall particularly hard on poor families.
Rich kids are not any more talented than those that are not.
Not inherently, but they tend to go to better schools, and get expensive tutoring for classes and test prep that boost their GPA and test scores. They are far better prepared to look good by the admissions criteria.

So all things being equal, we expect the wealthy to be over-represented at selective schools. And they are. But the situation is not as acute at public universities like the UCs compared to private ones like Stanford.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,657.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That doesn't surprise me. Day care is very expensive these days. It's a nice tax break though cause you can not pay taxes on that money.
A couple I know in NYC pays 45k for
their 3 yr oldest daycare.
A year at an Ivy league lawschool is about 70
No doubt there's deduction but still.
That'll get you about 180 days in Sydney.
I'm new in Singapore and don't have a child but
considering cost of living, it must be high..

I think it's about the same as NYC

I didn't know Sydney is expensive.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,138.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Number 10!

I'm surprised.

Me, it's been Hong Kong, then NYC, now S'pore.

Sydney ought to fit right into that pattern.
HK used to be cheap back in the day. Back in the day being the 80's. Well, apart from property prices which were astronomical even back then.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,657.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
HK used to be cheap back in the day. Back in the day being the 80's. Well, apart from property prices which were astronomical even back then.
Can't say I have any memory of the 80s.

But the run up in real estate valurs has
been very good to me. : D

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,966.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Not at all. It's a shame that in budget negotiations with our governors, the Republicans have been averse to raising or even renewing taxes to lower the burden of the UC system on students. (and in past years when we had Republican governors, the burden on students was increased to its current higher level (historically speaking).)

Also, it's important to keep the proper scale of what "a lot of money" is.

Tuition at the UCs: $11,928 (for in-state students)

Tuition at USC (boo!): $66,640

They certainly may, but they are also more likely to have to work rather than attend college; as we all know there are barriers to college that fall particularly hard on poor families.

Not inherently, but they tend to go to better schools, and get expensive tutoring for classes and test prep that boost their GPA and test scores. They are far better prepared to look good by the admissions criteria.

So all things being equal, we expect the wealthy to be over-represented at selective schools. And they are. But the situation is not as acute at public universities like the UCs compared to private ones like Stanford.
All that being said it appears I was right. Those schools are not attracting elite talent just elite money. Those liberal bastions of education who support and educate people on how they ought to give away their own money while at the same time pricing everyone else out but the rich. Then the liberals continue to support the rich by saying if you didn't go to one of those elite rich schools they aren't willing to hear what you have to say. Color me surprised.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,657.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
All that being said it appears I was right. Those schools are not attracting elite talent just elite money. Those liberal bastions of education who support and educate people on how they ought to give away their own money while at the same time pricing everyone else out but the rich. Then the liberals continue to support the rich by saying if you didn't go to one of those elite rich schools they aren't willing to hear what you have to say. Color me surprised.
Nobody gets rich by being wonderful.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
American views on the question. LINK
1690293631505.png

The answers to:
49D. Problem of Racism Today — White Americans
Today, how big a problem is racism against ____?

Are also illuminating and maybe have some influence on the above. Majorities of white people, Republicans and Evangelicals say anti-white racism is either a big or small problem. (though here it is not specified as systemic)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

45 Antioch Police Officers Accused of Sending Racist Texts Messages: Public Defender

Contra Costa County Public Defender Ellen McDonnell confirmed that at least 16 of those officers are in leadership roles.​

FBI Arrests Antioch, Pittsburg Police Officers Following Indictments

The FBI arrested nine East Bay police officers on Thursday for alleged civil rights violations, interfering with investigations and defrauding their employers, Ismail Ramsey, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of California, said at a press conference on Thursday afternoon.

The arrests were made in a series of raids early Thursday morning across and beyond the Bay Area, following an 18-month FBI investigation and the release of four federal grand jury indictments against the officers. Charges include conspiracy to commit wire fraud, deprivation of civil rights and destruction of records.

The fourth and final indictment announced Thursday alleges that Morteza Amiri, Eric Rombough and Devon Wenger, all with the APD, carried out what Ramsey called a “disturbing litany” of civil rights violations. The violations include inappropriately deploying a canine and other weapons in order to deliberately harm individuals in Antioch.

“Defendants boasted about their illegal uses of force,” the federal attorney said.

In several messages, the officers bragged about racial profiling and beating suspects.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,657.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

FBI Arrests Antioch, Pittsburg Police Officers Following Indictments

The FBI arrested nine East Bay police officers on Thursday for alleged civil rights violations, interfering with investigations and defrauding their employers, Ismail Ramsey, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of California, said at a press conference on Thursday afternoon.

The arrests were made in a series of raids early Thursday morning across and beyond the Bay Area, following an 18-month FBI investigation and the release of four federal grand jury indictments against the officers. Charges include conspiracy to commit wire fraud, deprivation of civil rights and destruction of records.

The fourth and final indictment announced Thursday alleges that Morteza Amiri, Eric Rombough and Devon Wenger, all with the APD, carried out what Ramsey called a “disturbing litany” of civil rights violations. The violations include inappropriately deploying a canine and other weapons in order to deliberately harm individuals in Antioch.

“Defendants boasted about their illegal uses of force,” the federal attorney said.

In several messages, the officers bragged about racial profiling and beating suspects.
And when the accountant is arrested, that
indicates systemic embezzlement in the church?

What point do you wish to make?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,657.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is it?

I've heard peoples' accounts of why this, and, who
did that, and then the other side.

Ive also read news accounts. You know how
that goes.

An Asian acquaintance in the USA has so
many encounters with racists that, well, based
on my experience in the USA, she is lying.

If the actual topic is SYSTEMIC racism,
not what one or six people got together and did,
then got caught and busted, the storirs for this
thread dried up long ago.

What exactly is the purpose of more postings?

Headlines like " Yet another black man robs a 711
and shoots everyone full of holes" could be
true enough, but what purpose do you see in it?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟837,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,138.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0