St. Louis, MO.
✟378,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Missouri AG Andrew Bailey's assertion that an amendment to the state constitution that would legalize elective abortion would cost billions was rejected by the MO Supreme Court. The amendment will be on the 2024 ballot. Which is how it should be. Let the voters decide.

(KMOV/AP) -- The Missouri Supreme Court on Thursday unanimously ordered Attorney General Andrew Bailey to stop insisting that legalizing abortion in the state will cost as much as $12.5 billion to $51 billion, Thus enabling abortion-rights supporters to begin the push to get a legalization measure on the 2024 ballot.

Supreme Court judges unanimously affirmed a lower court’s decision that Attorney General Andrew Bailey must approve the cost estimate provided by the auditor, despite Bailey’s insistence that the cost to taxpayers of restoring abortion rights could be as much as a million times higher than what the auditor found.

Missouri Supreme Court issues decision in abortion petition case

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,136,269.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems as if more and more legislators and state officials will go to any and all lengths to try to keep issues off the ballot. It happens in my state, too.

Then when the legislatures are back in session they try to increase the numbers required for a petition, increase the passage margin to 60%, and throw whatever roadblocks they can to allowing a true exercise in democracy,.

Silly legislators. All they need to do is to go to their state capitol and represent the people, the voters. Ballot issues are only launched when they show themselves to be undeserving of the public support by going off the rails.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,210,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I live in Missouri and I pray that I am among the majority in the state who are pro-life and anti-abortion.
Maybe this will be the one that breaks the perfect record of failure for those opposing abortion when people get to vote directly on the matter.

I'm sure the legislators are fighting against it so hard out of confidence that the vote will fail.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Hilarious.

Supreme Court judges unanimously affirmed a lower court’s decision that Attorney General Andrew Bailey must approve the cost estimate provided by the auditor, despite Bailey’s insistence that the cost to taxpayers of restoring abortion rights could be as much as a million times higher than what the auditor found.

• Haha
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟378,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I live in Missouri and I pray that I am among the majority in the state who are pro-life and anti-abortion.

I also live in MO. It's a conservative state, no doubt. But if you remember last Nov., we voted to legalize recreational marijuana. It's quite possible that decriminalizing elective abortion--at least up a point--may be next. But in any case, that decision should be left to the voters.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,136,269.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I lived in MIssouri for most of the 1990's, and it was nowhere near as conservative as it is today. Even the St. Louis suburbs where I lived voted against a concealed carry law. I remember John Danforth being one of our senators, and while he was a Republican, he was the kind of Republican I could respect, free from all the drama and extremism of the easily intimidated Republicans today, so fearful of crossing their multiply indicted former president. I remember a few Democratic senators and governors, too, and I don't remember any Republicans like the fleet-footed Josh Hawley.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It looks like the amendment to roll back the abortion ban will make the November ballot.

Naturally, the Missouri GOP is looking for a way to prevent these exercises in democracy from getting out of hand.

Republicans vote to make it harder to amend Missouri Constitution

Currently, Missouri constitutional changes are enacted if approved by a majority of votes statewide. State senators voted 22-9 along party lines to also require a majority of votes in five of the state's eight congressional districts to approve amendments. The Senate measure now heads to the Republican-led House.

Given the deep red nature of a majority of districts, that will be hard for any not-so-red amendment.

1708875902323.png

In Ohio, they tried to change the rule from 50% to 60%, but the voters rejected that. This action in MO can apparently be done by the legislature alone.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟199,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It looks like the amendment to roll back the abortion ban will make the November ballot.

Naturally, the Missouri GOP is looking for a way to prevent these exercises in democracy from getting out of hand.

Currently, Missouri constitutional changes are enacted if approved by a majority of votes statewide. State senators voted 22-9 along party lines to also require a majority of votes in five of the state's eight congressional districts to approve amendments. The Senate measure now heads to the Republican-led House.

Given the deep red nature of a majority of districts, that will be hard for any not-so-red amendment.
One wonders why the GOP seems to oppose democracy.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
One wonders why the GOP seems to oppose democracy.
Now we know where that "We're a republic not a democracy" tagline was leading.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟351,404.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

View attachment 343216

In Ohio, they tried to change the rule from 50% to 60%, but the voters rejected that. This action in MO can apparently be done by the legislature alone.
So it would also be a constitutional amendment and would need to be approved at the ballot just like the Ohio one. And similar to the situation in Ohio, they are hoping to get this on the August ballot so if it passes it would affect the abortion amendment.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,136,269.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In our state, a referendum to raise the minimum wage to $11 passed by 67%.

But 67% ov voters elected legislators who tried removing so many categories of workers from minimum wage protection that it would become irrelevant.

Voters need to be educated to learn how to elect representatives who support their beliefs--not the ones who undermine them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟618,059.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

View attachment 343216

If the abortion amendment is going to be on the November Ballot, then if they require a majority in 5 districts it probably won't matter. It hasn't mattered in states in midterm or special elections either. They just lead to unprecedented turnout and then once it passes they will get to work trying to find a loophole to thwart the will of the people.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,136,269.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My state is doing petitions right now for an abortion amendment. A group is running a "decline to sign" campaign to prevent the proponents from getting enough signatures.

A petition and ballot issue just supports democracy. Signing the petition does not support or oppose the issue.

My friends are all gung ho. I am remaining neutral. Abortion is the third rail of Catholicism and I am a church musician. They understand. I support 99.9% of progressive causes.

But I will never support gutting democracy. Let the people vote.

Missouri is not the only state suppressing democracy.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Missourians back initiative to restore abortion rights by small margin, new poll finds

A new poll shows plurality of Missourians support restoring abortion rights as they existed under Roe v. Wade, but a large undecided group holds the key to victory.

The St. Louis University/YouGov Poll conducted in February found that 44% of those surveyed would vote for abortion rights after hearing the ballot language, while 37% were opposed. The support was held across income, education and racial subgroups. Almost one-fifth of voters, 19%, said they were unsure how they would vote.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It looks like the amendment to roll back the abortion ban will make the November ballot. Naturally, the Missouri GOP is looking for a way to prevent these exercises in democracy from getting out of hand.

Missouri House votes to make it harder to amend constitution, with controversial language reinstated

The Missouri House on Thursday voted 102-49 to send the legislation back to the Senate after amending it. Now, it must either be approved by the Senate or the two chambers need to work on a compromise resolution.

[The House bill restored two things that had been removed from the Senate bill.] One of those provisions stated that only legal residents of Missouri and U.S. citizens would be able to vote on constitutional amendments. Another would bar foreign interference with the initiative petition process.

U.S. citizenship is already a requirement for people to vote in Missouri, and federal law prohibits spending by foreign entities in any election. [Duh.]

If the resolution were to pass both chambers, it still would need approval from Missouri voters to go into effect. [And that's why those redundant phrases are being added, to make it more palatable to voters to choose to weaken their own power.]

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Missourians back initiative to restore abortion rights by small margin, new poll finds

A new poll shows plurality of Missourians support restoring abortion rights as they existed under Roe v. Wade, but a large undecided group holds the key to victory.

More than 380,000 Missourians sign initiative petition to put abortion on the ballot

Missourians for Constitutional Freedom said they collected signatures from each of Missouri’s 114 counties and eight congressional districts​

In order to put a citizen-led constitutional amendment before voters, the campaign had to collect signatures from 8% of voters in six of Missouri’s eight congressional districts. That total equates to more than 171,000 signatures.

The effort kicked off 90 days ago, requiring a massive undertaking to reach the May 5 signature deadline.

Around the same time the abortion campaign was announced, a separate coalition organized to oppose them. That group, called Missouri Stands with Women, spent the past few months leading a “decline to sign” campaign, urging people not to sign the initiative petition.

Upvote 0