LDS LDS: Jesus, Married with Children ???

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think Christianity thought much about it until the Book of Mormon came out and they read, "Adam fell that man might be and men are that they might have joy" 2Nephi 2:25
Then they had to scramble around to prove Joseph wrong

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,122,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now back to the thread topic.
Some of my thoughts on the subject....
The scriptures tell us that Mary was His mother, that James was His brother. Considering the importance of a wife it seems that if Mary Magdalene, or any other woman mentioned, would have been identified as His wife. It would also be very odd that if He had a wife that she would not be mentioned at all; that's just to significant a relationship not to mention.

As far as Mary M. calling Him Rabbouni, this word is of Chaldean origin compared to Rabbi which is of Hebrew origin, both meaning Master.

Paul pointed out that he himself was a Pharisee, surely if Jesus had been a Pharisee also that would have been a big deal among the Jews and yet Paul says nothing about it.
If Jesus had been a Pharisee why would the Pharisees and the Sadducees, being from different schools, have come to Him about their different views about when divorce was legal, actually to interpret what the Law about it really meant?
Both groups would have already known what He would say, which side He would take, if He were a Pharisee.

As far as the wedding goes, where He turns the water into wine, being His wedding the scripture tells us...
Joh 2:11 This beginning of the signs did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested his glory, and his disciples believed in him;
Joh 2:12 after this he went down to Capernaum, he, and his mother, and his brethren, and his disciples; and there they remained not many days.

No brand new wife and certainly not Mary Magdalene, she wasn't in the picture yet.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟532,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus had no descendants...that can be seen from the following passages:

He was led like a sheep to the slaughter,
and as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.
Who can speak of his descendants?
For his life was taken from the earth.
Acts 8:32-33

Furthermore, in speaking of marriage and divorce Jesus says:

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For some are eunuchs because they were born that way, others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” Matthew 19:11-12

Quite sure Jesus, being the Son of God/whose example we are to follow, could accept this teaching!

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This doesn't come up often but I was on a anti Mormon website that had mainstream Christians who believed this from different denonminations that believed this. There were those that believed it was a fruit but the majority believed it was intercourse. I don't know why since they were told to have kids as well. This was years ago
I think that you would say just about anything to knock the Bible at this point.

You take a situation that happened once on a forum or website somewhere and bring it up. So God is holy but is afraid to talk about sex, so He turned sexual intercourse into an apple?

This is why we find your beleifs so confusing. You throw everything and anything out there to discredit Christianity, whether there is a real basis behind something or not.

I'm going to put into perspective that you are willing to say anything to bash Christianity as I read what you say. You do not make a good Mormon spokesperson.

Instead of asking questions and inquiring, you think beating on our faith with your lack of understanding or beliefs makes a case. That is hysterical. So far, Christianity is a much stronger faith that makes sense as well as having history and context.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't think Christianity thought much about it until the Book of Mormon came out and they read, "Adam fell that man might be and men are that they might have joy" 2Nephi 2:25
I think that you think that Christians care much more about the BoM than they do. Most have never read it.

So your Nephi verse, I'd be surprised if more than 8 % of Christians have read it.

You 'think' Mormonism is much more important to our faith than it is. Mormonism is too out there. We study Catholicism, or Baptists, Pentecostals ect. But it's like the Jehovah Witnesses it's so far out there that it get's little attention.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Documentation please.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that you would say just about anything to knock the Bible at this point.

You take a situation that happened once on a forum or website somewhere and bring it up. So God is holy but is afraid to talk about sex, so He turned sexual intercourse into an apple?

This is why we find your beleifs so confusing. You throw everything and anything out there to discredit Christianity, whether there is a real basis behind something or not.

I'm going to put into perspective that you are willing to say anything to bash Christianity as I read what you say. You do not make a good Mormon spokesperson.

Instead of asking questions and inquiring, you think beating on our faith with your lack of understanding or beliefs makes a case. That is hysterical. So far, Christianity is a much stronger faith that makes sense as well as having history and context.
I'm not knocking the bible I'm knocking those who believe in non biblical traditions

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,122,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:) :) :)
Thanks for noticing, apparently no one else did...I guess it was too much on topic???!! : ) :)
Don't feel bad, mine was on topic too. No responses. Oh well, yours was right on target and I appreciated it.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not knocking the bible I'm knocking those who believe in non biblical traditions
But the thing is this thread is about Mormon beliefs.

But each time you post you post some obscure thing about Christianity that we in turn defend, which I guess makes sense if you do not want to discuss Mormonism.

The question is, Why are Mormons so afraid to discuss their faith? That is suspicious in itself.

I discuss my faith in detail on CF all the time. I do not have a problem with someone questioning me on something, but this is like pulling rabbits out of a hat. I'm not even sure what seem like rabbits are in fact rabbits.

Let's get back to some text. Scripture and not opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We're not afraid to discuss the faith.

...which, in turn, involves discussing areas where we feel that mainline Christianity has gone astray.
What beliefs of Mormonism have you discussed in this thread? I'm not seeing it.

How do you feel about the title. According to your faith's teaching, did Jesus have children? That seems a very straight forward question.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
What beliefs of Mormonism have you discussed in this thread? I'm not seeing it.

How do you feel about the title. According to your faith's teaching, did Jesus have children? That seems a very straight forward question.

AFAIK, the church is silent on the matter.

That's all there is to it.

It's on the members themselves to decide what they believe.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Years ago I was on a anti Mormon website forum called Not A Mormon. It was the usual nasty rude intolerant website. I was on it for two or three years and finally left it for a while. When I came back things had calmed down a bit but not much. There were not any Mormons participating and so I was by myself for a time. There was a poster that claimed he was active LDS but had some strange ideas and so I told him he was an imposter. He then said that he was leaving the church he had grown up in and I was the reason. I told him that either he lead more about what he believed or he was a fraud. I left again but checked in a few times. The last time I checked in I had a pm that was from the person I said was a fraud. He said that I was right and that he was the owner of the website. He asked for my forgiveness and said he posed as a active Mormon and then a ex Mormon to try and make bring back some of the people that hat had left. I wrote him back after a while but the website was no more. At least I couldn't find it. My point is that some people get so caught up in the lie that their conscience becomes seered and lying for Jesus becomes right.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Years ago I was on a anti Mormon website forum called Not A Mormon. It was the usual nasty rude intolerant website. I was on it for two or three years and finally left it for a while. When I came back things had calmed down a bit but not much. There were not any Mormons participating and so I was by myself for a time. There was a poster that claimed he was active LDS but had some strange ideas and so I told him he was an imposter. He then said that he was leaving the church he had grown up in and I was the reason. I told him that either he lead more about what he believed or he was a fraud. I left again but checked in a few times. The last time I checked in I had a pm that was from the person I said was a fraud. He said that I was right and that he was the owner of the website. He asked for my forgiveness and said he posed as a active Mormon and then a ex Mormon to try and make bring back some of the people that hat had left. I wrote him back after a while but the website was no more. At least I couldn't find it. My point is that some people get so caught up in the lie that their conscience becomes seered and lying for Jesus becomes right.

QFT.

I remember something similar happening on the Mormonism Debate board at Beliefnet.

A poster claimed that after a prolonged period of inactivity, his former bishop tracked him down and ex'd him as a demonstration of power.

We called him out on it.

After a while, he confessed. His mom found out that he'd been living in sin and asked the bishop to intervene. The bishop sent him a letter asking him to come in and talk about matters, but the guy threw the letter away unread because he didn't know what it was about. Word got back to the bishop that the letter was thrown away unread, and the bishop took it as a deliberate snub and a refusal to be corrected. This was what prompted the excommunication proceedings to begin, and by the time the guy found out how much trouble he was in it was too late to stop the ball from rolling.

Rather than call out the liar in their midst, the other "good Christians" on that part of BNet condemned us for being "sin-sniffers" and basically told us that we should have allowed their fellow to continue telling his lie because it somehow served God.

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0