Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Not too long ago, "queer" was an insult, I thought it was used nowadays to mean "not straight" or "not cis" ???

For some it still is. LGBTQA+ people are far from monolithic, and so while many have proudly adopted the term "queer" many still (and I imagine it's mostly the older generations) find the term offensive and derogatory because, historically, it was used pejoratively and as a slur.

That's been my observation at least.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
For some it still is. LGBTQA+ people are far from monolithic, and so while many have proudly adopted the term "queer" many still (and I imagine it's mostly the older generations) find the term offensive and derogatory because, historically, it was used pejoratively and as a slur.

That's been my observation at least.

-CryptoLutheran
Yeah. I always thought "queer" was offensive but now it's being accepted. Weird IMHO.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,908.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yeah. I always thought "queer" was offensive but now it's being accepted. Weird IMHO.
That is the difference between staying beneath the radar and now wanting to stand out. The same applied to freaks, the name given to long hairs in the 60's who turned it around and wore the name proudly as part of the counter-culture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That is the difference between staying beneath the radar and now wanting to stand out. The same applied to freaks, the name given to long hairs in the 60's who wore the name proudly as part of the counter-culture.
Typically, when someone says they are a "freak" it means they are obsessed with something, it can be a term of affection in some circles. That's been my observation anyway. It's very similar to the term "nerd," or "geek."

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because that's the most applicable english word, it got used in most Bible translations. But it's not an equivalent translation.

The reason, I think, many gay people don't like the term is that 'homosexuality' was the label used by the medical profession, when homosexuality was considered to be a mental aberation or disease, and some very questionable methods were used to try to 'cure' it, such as aversion therapy. For this reason, many gay people consider the word tainted by association.

Best wishes, Strivax.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟434,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Huh. I guess because I didn't grow up with any sort of homophobic whatever (I mean, it was around, but it was not a topic in church, or taught in school, etc.), I always think of "queer" as a rather old-fashioned synonym for 'strange' or 'curious'. I am aware that it has a sex/gender meaning now too, but I thought that was mostly among younger people (i.e., something still in the process of being adopted outside of the social circles of LGBT youth). Like I don't have any friends who openly describe themselves as "queer" (that I know of, anyway), but I know plenty of gay people; it's just that they're all around my age (early 40s), since they're for the most part people I grew up with. Other than younger relatives who I'm not close to, I don't even know anyone in their 20s anymore.

Then again, I'd never heard of "homosexual" being offensive until this thread, so I guess I'm just generally behind the times with regard to this particular terminology. Probably not a great look for a linguist. Hahaha.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,908.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I guess because I didn't grow up with any sort of homophobic whatever

It may have been around in my time, but who knew. It's not like the adults back then were ranting about it. They had bigger problems. Besides, boys played with boys and girls with girls for the most part so who cared? I guess certain societies are more prone to division and mockery than others.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟118,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Are the terms "homosexual" and "homosexuality" considered offensive?

Of course not. Why should they be?

What does offend me is "queer" so I always leave the Q off and just type LGBT. I also hate it when homosexuals say heterosexual people are "straight" because that implies LGBT people are genetically bad, since the opposite of straight is crooked.

BTW Iv am asexual (not romantically attracted to either men or women), but would be celibate even if I did have romantic feelings either way. That is perfectly acceptable in Scripture.

Upvote 0

XianGoth1334

Mar 21, 2023
Boston, MA
✟15,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Homosexual and non-homosexual are both scientific / biological designations. I do not find the terminology offensive. The only term I find offensive is the one which can also be used to refer to smokes... (since it infers that such people have no earthly value other than to be burned up and discarded both in this world and the one to come).

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Of course not. Why should they be?

What does offend me is "queer" so I always leave the Q off and just type LGBT. I also hate it when homosexuals say heterosexual people are "straight" because that implies LGBT people are genetically bad, since the opposite of straight is crooked.

BTW Iv am asexual (not romantically attracted to either men or women), but would be celibate even if I did have romantic feelings either way. That is perfectly acceptable in Scripture.

I've never seen or heard of "straight" viewed as problematic. "Straight" is used pretty consistently by just about anyone regardless of orientation as just another way to mean heterosexual. I don't doubt that the origins of "straight" could have the implications--at least historically--that you mention. But I don't think that's what goes through the minds of most people. "Straight" is simply to heterosexual what "gay" is to homosexual. They are pretty well-established and well-accepted terms that, insofar as they aren't being used in a derogatory manner are perfectly acceptable.

I won't personally call another person "queer", because it was a pejorative slur when I was younger. But if people who self-identify that way use it, then it's not my job to police their own use of language.

Scripture teaches to use uplifting words and not to demean others, so it's my responsibility as to what comes out of my mouth. And that means respecting other people with language. There isn't ever going to be some perfect writ-in-stone set of rules, because that simply isn't how the reality works. But I can always learn and respond to people by trying to be as respectful, caring, compassionate as I can, and place Christ's commandment about how I am to treat other people as first and foremost in how I try to live my life in relation to my neighbor. Failing and falling and stumbling all along the way of course, but nevertheless, trying to take Jesus seriously.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: XianGoth1334
Upvote 0