Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Sadly, by some people they clearly are. God clearly told us to love our neighbor as ourselves.
Yes, God told us to love each other. I do not understand why some people would find it offensive which is why I am asking liberal-minded people. Just to gain some perspective. IMO

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟312,421.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
homo- (1)

before vowels hom-, word-forming element meaning "same, the same, equal, like" (opposed to hetero-), from Greek homos "one and the same," also "belonging to two or more jointly" (from PIE *somo-, from root *sem- (1) "one; as one, together with").

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know that it's offensive, exactly, but I also don't hear it spoken very often by LGBT people. The word has a kind of clinical sound, which to my ears seems to clash with the experience of someone who's in love. Plus, I've often heard it spoken by anti-gay people with a kind of disgust, so that it's hard for me to hear it without that ringing in my head.

Oddly, though, "bisexual" doesn't have the same negative associations, as far as I know.

Maybe others can weigh in on how the terminology feels to them.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟258,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know that it's offensive, exactly, but I also don't hear it spoken very often by LGBT people. The word has a kind of clinical sound, which to my ears seems to clash with the experience of someone who's in love. Plus, I've often heard it spoken by anti-gay people with a kind of disgust, so that it's hard for me to hear it without that ringing in my head.

Oddly, though, "bisexual" doesn't have the same negative associations, as far as I know.

Maybe others can weigh in on how the terminology feels to them.
thanks for the clarification

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟258,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
homo- (1)

before vowels hom-, word-forming element meaning "same, the same, equal, like" (opposed to hetero-), from Greek homos "one and the same," also "belonging to two or more jointly" (from PIE *somo-, from root *sem- (1) "one; as one, together with").
correct

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are the terms "homosexual" and "homosexuality" considered offensive?

Because that's the most applicable english word, it got used in most Bible translations. But it's not an equivalent translation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Queer" is the politically-correct term.

Note that "queer" is a broader term, encompassing all the varieties of people under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella.

"Queer" may be the term we settle on, in the end, to replace the admittedly unwieldy LGBTQIA+ acronym. I'm old enough, though, that I use it cautiously, because when I was a kid it was a pejorative term. My younger friends don't seem to have the same associations, though, and seem comfortable with fully reclaiming it.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.