Is the date of the crucifixion off like the date of Christmas?

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟24,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Might be more important to remember Jesus had His last supper on a Wednesday as He wouldn't be around for the Passover meal, and died on a Thursday the day before Passover as this was the traditional day to slaughter the sacrificial lambs. There were two sabbaths back to back, View attachment 344737 on the Friday and the regular Sabbath on the Saturday. Jesus was executed the day before both.
Matthew, Mark, and Luke all testify that on "the day they kill the passover," Jesus sent the disciples into the city and had them "prepare the passover." Then that evening, they "sat and ate" the passover. (Matthew 26:17-20, Mark 14:12-18, Luke 22:7-16)

Please read these verses carefully and prayerfully. They bear unmistakable eye-witness accounts of the disciples who themselves prepared the passover and then that evening sat down with Jesus and ate this passover meal they had prepared.

In Christ,
Deborah

Upvote 0

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟24,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I'm no different than you or anyone in ability. I prefer not to blindly accept tradition which also gave us Wise Men at a stable or perhaps ham at Easter, and so on.
A blessed Resurrection to you too.
Many of us who accept the historical beliefs and practices of Christendom do so not blindly, but after a life-time of deep and devoted research, study, and prayer.

Manger scenes are artistic representations of the whole Christmas story. Of course they include the star and the Magi, they are an integral part of the Christmas story. It is unfortunate, and perhaps a bit lazy, if someone assumes from a simple Christmas ornament that the Magi actually visited Jesus the night of his birth. I'm sure the vast majority of Christians have actually read the Gospel accounts and know that the visit of the Magi was later, and certainly serious scholars who have made even a cursory study of the nativity realize it was actually weeks later.

But that in no way detracts from the powerful testimony that simple Manger Scene bears witness to, that Jesus was born, in humble surroundings, to a poor Jewish carpenter and his bride, but his birth was witnessed by the stars of heaven, heralded by the angels of God, and both the poor and humble and the rich and powerful came and worshiped before him.

In Christ,
Deborah

Upvote 0

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟24,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The fact that the dates were not recorded is one of many factors that result in my doubting that either ever occurred.
And therein lies the wisdom of God ...
In Christ,
Deborah

Upvote 0

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟24,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Both subjects are of the highest priority so you'd think after all this time they'd get it right.
All of Christendom, from the very beginning, agrees with you that the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus are not only the very foundation of the Christian faith, but are in fact the most important events in the history of the world.

And for two thousand years all of Christendom, east and west, has celebrated these historical events, on the same dates, going all the way back to that first generation of Christians. These dates were not chosen at random by the fourth century Roman Catholic Church, as so many of Christianity's critics claim. These dates were honored and observed by all of Christendom worldwide going back to the first generation of Christians. To assume, as many of our critics do, that the dates of these events were somehow not important enough to those first Christians to remember them, were not meaningful enough for those first Christians to celebrate them, were not even mentioned by those first Christians, is neither historically nor yet theologically correct. These events are the very essence of what the Gospels and the Christian faith are all about, which is why they are venerated and celebrated by Christians all over the world, even today, two thousand years after these historical events took place.

I am a New Testament historian and I have been personally engaged in this discussion on various platforms for over 40 years, and while these unfounded myths and falsehoods about our Christians feasts have spread like wildfire across the internet with little or no opposition, the truth is beginning to catch up. I'm seeing posts and websites and comments that are citing actual historical evidence in contrast to all the fanciful and imaginary links various groups and individuals try to forge between Christianity and paganism.

So if you are undecided about these matters, and whether these historical events actually came to pass at the time and in the way Christianity has for two thousand years remembered and observed and honored them, then be patient. The old saying that "lies get halfway round the world before truth can put on its shoes" is true. But it is equally true that lies, like shadows, have no substance and once the light of truth arrives, lies, like shadows, disappear.

In Remembrance of those most sacred events in the history of the world,
The birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
To him be glory both now, and forever.
Deborah

Upvote 0

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟24,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I follow no holy days or holidays. Everything I need is fulfilled obeying the commandments of Jesus and his apostles.

If your needs are fulfilled by what you do, then perhaps your needs are not the same as mine.

My testimony is that my needs, my every need, is fulfilled by what Jesus has done.
Therefore, I thank God above, and I cherish, and I honor the day that Jesus was born.
Therefore, I thank God above, and I cherish, and I honor the day Jesus was crucified.
Therefore, I thank God above, and I cherish, and I honor the day Jesus rose from the dead.
Not because I am commanded to. But because these days on which Jesus did that work which has saved my soul are worthy of remembrance.
Resting in the finished work of Christ,
Deborah

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟7,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My testimony is that my needs, my every need, is fulfilled by what Jesus has done.
Therefore, I thank God above, and I cherish, and I honor the day that Jesus was born.
Therefore, I thank God above, and I cherish, and I honor the day Jesus was crucified.
Therefore, I thank God above, and I cherish, and I honor the day Jesus rose from the dead.
Not because I am commanded to. But because these days on which Jesus did that work which has saved my soul are worthy of remembrance.
Resting in the finished work of Christ,
Deborah
I dont see those things in Christmas or Easter

Paul died daily. Even on the days that you call Easter and Christmas. Think about that.

Upvote 0

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟24,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Might be more important to remember Jesus had His last supper on a Wednesday as He wouldn't be around for the Passover meal, and died on a Thursday the day before Passover as this was the traditional day to slaughter the sacrificial lambs. There were two sabbaths back to back, View attachment 344737 on the Friday and the regular Sabbath on the Saturday. Jesus was executed the day before both.
According to the NASA chart of astronomical new moons during the years surrounding the Passion of Jesus, from the years A.D. 26 to 34, the only day Nisan 14 fell on a Thursday was A.D. 34, much too late. And even then, that date was April 22, not April 4. Nisan 14 did not fall on April 4 any of those years.

I am attaching a chart of the Passion Week of Christ based on the actual astronomical new moon of the spring in the year historically held by Christendom as that of the Lord's Passion, A.D. 30. I hope you will give it some consideration, as it corresponds to an abundance of historical data that includes Scripture (New and Old Testaments), historical records (Christian, Jewish, and Roman), astronomical, agricultural, archaeological, and sociological data.
New Moon Easter Chronology .JPG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟24,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I dont see those things in Christmas or Easter

Paul died daily. Even on the days that you call Easter and Christmas. Think about that.
Then perhaps we can talk some about Christmas and Easter and how the various customs have developed over the years and what they mean to Christians, rather than the popular theories about them that are burning up the internet.

We Protestants are particularly subject to being misinformed. We have kept the holidays Christmas and Easter, but without the history of their observance we have no idea where all these customs associated with them actually come from, Christmas trees, and gift giving, and Christmas lights, and Easter eggs, and baskets, and chocolate bunnies, etc. So we are a very easy mark for those who are of a mind, for several reasons, to undermine Christian faith, and it seems especially our public witness to our faith through these observances. Think about this: Christmas, whether you celebrate it or not, proclaims that Jesus, the Christ, was born, in Bethlehem, a Savior, 2000 years ago, and that "Good News" has spread throughout the world, even into dark corners of the world where the Gospel otherwise could never be preached. For some people, Christmas may be the only witness to the Gospel they ever hear.

Paul "dying daily" referred to his willingness every day to lay down his life for the Gospel. And he did indeed, "stand in jeopardy every hour." How many times was this wonderful old saint beaten and imprisoned and stoned and brought to the very brink of death, until the day he finished his course, left that old scarred, broken, worn out tabernacle of flesh and went to be with Jesus. But as much as I cherish and honor Paul's sacrifices he made for the Gospel, his willingness every day to sacrifice his life for the Gospel, while a wonderful example to us, does not rise to the level of the death of Jesus, or deserve the kind of honor and remembrance we give Christ. Paul's sacrifice did not save us. But he penned those words as comfort and reassurance of the sure and certain hope of the resurrection of the body and all our loved ones who have gone before.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟7,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then perhaps we can talk some about Christmas and Easter and how the various customs have developed over the years and what they mean to Christians, rather than the popular theories about them that are burning up the internet.

We Protestants are particularly subject to being misinformed. We have kept the holidays Christmas and Easter, but without the history of their observance we have no idea where all these customs associated with them actually come from, Christmas trees, and gift giving, and Christmas lights, and Easter eggs, and baskets, and chocolate bunnies, etc. So we are a very easy mark for those who are of a mind, for several reasons, to undermine Christian faith, and it seems especially our public witness to our faith through these observances. Think about this: Christmas, whether you celebrate it or not, proclaims that Jesus, the Christ, was born, in Bethlehem, a Savior, 2000 years ago, and that "Good News" has spread throughout the world, even into dark corners of the world where the Gospel otherwise could never be preached. For some people, Christmas may be the only witness to the Gospel they ever hear.

Paul "dying daily" referred to his willingness every day to lay down his life for the Gospel. And he did indeed, "stand in jeopardy every hour." How many times was this wonderful old saint beaten and imprisoned and stoned and brought to the very brink of death, until the day he finished his course, left that old scarred, broken, worn out tabernacle of flesh and went to be with Jesus. But as much as I cherish and honor Paul's sacrifices he made for the Gospel, his willingness every day to sacrifice his life for the Gospel, while a wonderful example to us, does not rise to the level of the death of Jesus, or deserve the kind of honor and remembrance we give Christ. Paul's sacrifice did not save us. But he penned those words as comfort and reassurance of the sure and certain hope of the resurrection of the body and all our loved ones who have gone before.
You catholics and protestants do what pleases you. I'm not a member of either side. Please dont label me among you. I don't care for holidays or holy days. I follow holiness everyday.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Deborah~

Christ our Passover
Feb 18, 2017
Mobile, AL
✟24,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You catholics and protestants do what pleases you. I'm not a member of either side. Please dont label me among you. I don't care for holidays or holy days. I follow holiness everyday.
May I ask what organization you are affiliated with? It will help me understand your views.
In Christ,
Deborah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,168.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Paul "dying daily" referred to his willingness every day to lay down his life for the Gospel.
According to the Gospel of the Kingdom (Jesus' only gospel) putting his will before the will of God, as we all do daily, enforced the original death penalty upon Paul every day, as it does upon us.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟197,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0