RangeMaster

Into the Light
Feb 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA
✟165.00
Faith
Christian
What is an Inductive Bible Study?

Take one book of the Bible, for instance, John. and study it one passage at a time in the following manner: Read the passage, make Observations, then Interpretations, then Applications.

Observations - What are the...

a) Key words / Transition words?
b) Repeated words or themes?
c) Interesting comparisons / contrasts?
d) Final Stresses?
e) Summary verses?

Interpretation - What does it mean?

a) What did Jesus mean to say?
b) How did the author mean the first readers (around 50 A.D.) to understand it.

Application - What does it mean to...

a) Us (each individual)
b) The world

We'll be studying the book of Romans in the fashion shown above. Tonight, I'll post the first reading. We'll read it, then each of us writes down what we find for each category shown above. We must remember a couple things as we discuss what we've found:

Five people are witness to an awful car accident. The cops ask each of them to write up a report of what they saw. The cops were amazed at what they read, not a single report was like the other.

Keep in mind that the Holy Spirit speaks to us through the Gospels in different was, so that we learn the lessons that we each, as individuals need to learn them. And we all won't be looking at the same version of the Bible. If the discussion runs longer then a week, we can let it run over a bit, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Then Next week I'll post the next reading.

Read: Romans 1:1-7

RangeMaster

Into the Light
Feb 29, 2004
Norfolk, VA
✟165.00
Faith
Christian
This is what I got out of Romans 1:1-7. Others might get more or less then I did, or you might get something completely different. How the Spirit speaks to you is not for me to judge.

Observation

(Verses 1-6)

1. Paul refers to himself as…
- A servant of Christ
- Called to be an apostle
- Set apart for the gospel of God

2. Gospel of God is…
- Promised beforehand through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures
- Regarding His Son.

3. God’s Son is…
- To his human nature was a descendant of David.
- Through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God.
- By his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Through him we receive grace.
- Through him we (the apostles) received apostleship to call people from among the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith.

4. You are among those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.

(Verse 7)

1. To all in Rome….
2. Grace and peace to you…

Interpretation

(Verses 1-6)

Paul is establishing authority of, not only himself and the apostles, but the authority of his letter and the gospels of the apostles, as they are handed down to them from God through the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ.

(Verse 7)

A greeting that is typical in the epistles written to the churches.

Application

We must always remember, from whom, the authority was given to the apostles to write their gospels and epistles. The Bible was handed down from God to the Prophets, the Apostles for all of us.

Rodney

Upvote 0

mezon

Mar 2, 2004
Terre Haute
✟126.00
Faith
Christian
Here's what I got...

Verses 1 - 4
Jesus was promised by God through His prophets of old. He was fully God and fully human as the descendant of David. His resurrection made Him our Savior.

Verse 5 -6
The salvation that Christ offers is not just for the Jews, but for everyone.

Application

Jesus was both God and Man. He came so that all would hear of God's grace and love.

Nikki

Upvote 0

Heinrich

Jul 16, 2003
Western Cape
✟762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 1:1-7

Paul writes to the Roman church.. this church is not in a friendly zone. They have heavy opposition.
Firstly Paul confirms his apostolic office. One can make a whole study of the 5 offices :)

Paul claims here that this gospel of Jesus Christ was promised.. which is offcourse very true. There are many profecies in the old testament that talked about the messaih.
Son of David.. In the Beginning of both Matthew and Luke one can get the family line of Jesus. If you will look carefully at this.. Jesus is of the seed of Abraham.
but Jesus came from both the family lines of David and Levi.. which offcourse make him to be both a King and a Priest.

Paul says Jesus is the Son of God, which is offcourse true since he resurrected :)
Rom 10:9 "if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."
This fact that Jesus concurred death is so amazing! It changes ones life when one starts to believe it.

And we are called! Each one is called by name to the Kingdom of God. Are we to not respond to this call?

verse 7: Paul calls the Christians in rome "saints" I'm not sure exactly what this means.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.