Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I've started attending a Baptist Church and I love it! :eek: :p

I've been going for a little over a month now and I even went to the church picnic yesterday. The pastor seems to be a really great guy with a heart for missions and preaching the unadulterated Gospel: Jesus Christ crucified and resurrected. He's solidly founded in Scripture which is sooooo refreshing compared to the Pentecostal and Charismatic churches around here. Yesterday, he actually preached from a whole chapter of Acts and told us that "we must go through many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God."

And yesterday at the picnic he and his wife made a point to get to know me and include me since I was there all by myself and didn't really know anyone. So did several other people - everyone was very welcoming and seemed genuinly happy to have me there.

And talking to people showed me that it's not just the pastor and his wife who are solidly grounded in the Word and walking by faith. :clap:

The worship service is a little tame compared to what I'm used to... but I'm finding that I really like it. They don't speak in tongues or sing in tongues, they don't prophecy, they rarely clap their hands, and I haven't seen any dance (I have spotted some finger and toe tapping and hand raising). But they also don't drown out the congregation with loud music or repeat the same song over and over again until everyone is senseless or make a big production out of their musical performances. So that's also refreshing.

I suppose this makes me officially "post-charismatic" because I'd rather go without the Gifts of the Spirit in corporate worship than see them continually misused, abused and faked.

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
I do, too! Yeah..I guess that's what I am, too...don't get me wrong...I still love the gifts...but there are times when it really feels nice not to have to raise my hands all the time....just rest in the LORD...I feel that when I go to the Methodist Native Am. gatherings out in Tennessee...I think it's getting too 'occultic like' in certain charismatic settings. :( And yeah...here in the area I live in...I'm displeased by the lack of scripture teaching in certain charismatic/pentecostal churches...it's all hype...and I've felt uneasy about going to those churches because I discerned that there is manipulation of the gifts, etc. I still need the ministry...of people praying ministering over me, though...but I've found that the real is rare in certain parts.. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"The gifts" at best are just a functional benefit to strengthen the Church. They are not "the point", they are not an end unto themselves. They certainly are not the defining point of Christianity.

Christianity is defined by love, by truth, by faith, and by hope. In my experience one of the greatest problems facing charismatic groups is that they have defined the manifestation of the gifts as real christianity, or "christianity as it is supposed to be". This often has the result of making them arrogant, and exclusive.. two things that are the very opposite of Christianity as it is supposed to be.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"The gifts" at best are just a functional benefit to strengthen the Church. They are not "the point", they are not an end unto themselves. They certainly are not the defining point of Christianity.

Christianity is defined by love, by truth, by faith, and by hope. In my experience one of the greatest problems facing charismatic groups is that they have defined the manifestation of the gifts as real christianity, or "christianity as it is supposed to be". This often has the result of making them arrogant, and exclusive.. two things that are the very opposite of Christianity as it is supposed to be.

Yep. Well said.

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I've been going for a little over a month now and I even went to the church picnic yesterday. The pastor seems to be a really great guy with a heart for missions and preaching the unadulterated Gospel: Jesus Christ crucified and resurrected. He's solidly founded in Scripture which is sooooo refreshing compared to the Pentecostal and Charismatic churches around here. Yesterday, he actually preached from a whole chapter of Acts and told us that "we must go through many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God."

And yesterday at the picnic he and his wife made a point to get to know me and include me since I was there all by myself and didn't really know anyone. So did several other people - everyone was very welcoming and seemed genuinly happy to have me there.

And talking to people showed me that it's not just the pastor and his wife who are solidly grounded in the Word and walking by faith. :clap:

The worship service is a little tame compared to what I'm used to... but I'm finding that I really like it. They don't speak in tongues or sing in tongues, they don't prophecy, they rarely clap their hands, and I haven't seen any dance (I have spotted some finger and toe tapping and hand raising). But they also don't drown out the congregation with loud music or repeat the same song over and over again until everyone is senseless or make a big production out of their musical performances. So that's also refreshing.

I suppose this makes me officially "post-charismatic" because I'd rather go without the Gifts of the Spirit in corporate worship than see them continually misused, abused and faked.

GASP!!!!!

I'm taking away your club card.:preach:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not see how aligning yourself with a Baptist Church would put you in the Post Charismatic category.

Would that not be more of Pre-Charismatic?

In any event I’m glad you are in a good fellowship. (I’ve been praying that you would find one).

John O.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I do not see how aligning yourself with a Baptist Church would put you in the Post Charismatic category.

Because of this:

In any event I’m glad you are in a good fellowship. (I’ve been praying that you would find one).

John O.

Thanks John, I appreciate your prayers very much!

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I think it is great that you found a church you are happy with. You will be a blessing to them.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gifts of the Spirit are just that - Gifts - they don't need to be on display or made a big production of.

I have been Spirit Filled for 15 years and have not been in a church that practices the Gifts at any time - been in the Catholic church with my husband, Baptist church, Lutheran Church - none of which had the Gifts flowing.

But they are still very precious to me in my private worship and prayer - God still heals when I lay hands on and pray - when I pray in the Spirit - I do it alone or silently - I don't make a big display at all.

I prefer the more laid back worship than I do the running around, shouting, and lots of noise - I was not raised in that and it has never been comfortable for me.

You will be just fine, just pray for the Spirit to flow in the church - that is what the nun at the Catholic church told me, she said I was sent there to help pray the Spirit into the church - 10 years later (yup - 10 years) - she was able to witness the Spirit moving into the church before she died - the church had a retreat and the ladies brought the Holy Spirit back with them - you could feel it in the church and that was the last meeting I attended before we moved - God answered that sweet Nun's prayer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'd rather go without the Gifts of the Spirit in corporate worship than see them continually misused, abused and faked.
:thumbsup:
can totally relate to that.
Ideally though -- would love to find a real fellowship with true and truly born again HOLY Spirit filled believers not showboatters full of themselves 'in the Lord', where the gifts manifest in corporate worship AS NEEDED only, not as show or competition or substitute for social skills. :o

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Why? They both bes wrong. :D

LOL, both are wrong and right, IMO.

:thumbsup:
can totally relate to that.
Ideally though -- would love to find a real fellowship with true and truly born again HOLY Spirit filled believers not showboatters full of themselves 'in the Lord', where the gifts manifest in corporate worship AS NEEDED only, not as show or competition or substitute for social skills. :o

Yep, I hear ya.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was kind of nervous about it. I knew they'd want to know my "spiritual history". I didn't really want to get into my big long church history. So I copped out and told them they can ask my parents for details (they're going to my parents' house tonight):p.

But it was a nice lunch. We had a good discussion. We covered a lot of topics.

And, you'll never guess.... the pastor believes the Gifts of the Spirit are alive and active and available today. :clap: He said "I don't know for sure what I'd do if someone stood up and spoke in tongues in church. I guess I'd wait for someone to interpret and if no one did, I'd have to have a talk with the person who gave the message. But if God wants to bring that to our church and change things up, then we're all for that. As long as God is in it." Which is, of course, exactly Biblical.

They seem like very lovely people. And very loving. It seems this guy has a true shepherd's heart.

I'm hopeful.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was kind of nervous about it. I knew they'd want to know my "spiritual history". I didn't really want to get into my big long church history. So I copped out and told them they can ask my parents for details (they're going to my parents' house tonight):p.

But it was a nice lunch. We had a good discussion. We covered a lot of topics.

And, you'll never guess.... the pastor believes the Gifts of the Spirit are alive and active and available today. :clap: He said "I don't know for sure what I'd do if someone stood up and spoke in tongues in church. I guess I'd wait for someone to interpret and if no one did, I'd have to have a talk with the person who gave the message. But if God wants to bring that to our church and change things up, then we're all for that. As long as God is in it." Which is, of course, exactly Biblical.

They seem like very lovely people. And very loving. It seems this guy has a true shepherd's heart.

I'm hopeful.

Sounds like a pastor I can really respect. :thumbsup:

Time will tell :groupray:

Upvote 0