Mississippi
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
"Repent" is actually the first word of the gospel.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

First is repent, then be baptized for the remission of sins, then receive the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2 is not about unbelievers becoming believers. It is addressing believers what they must do (repent and be baptized) to receive the Holy Spirit and to be separated from the generation that committed the unpardonable sin (Matthew 12). who is facing God's judgment, for rejecting the kingdom of God, for rejecting Jesus as the promised Messiah.

Not a single mention in Acts 2 about believing in Jesus for Eternal Life.

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.”

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
40 seconds video.

Thoughts?
The obedience that God requires is to believe into the Lord Jesus. John 6:28 & 29 Then they inquired, “What must we do to perform the works of God?” 29 Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent."

It's more than intellectual acceptance of facts. It is acceptance of Christ Himself and His death and resurrection. Only then will the Holy Spirit begin the work of delivering the Christian from sin, self, Satan and the world. Then the Holy Spirit can use the word of God to divide soul and spirit, free the will and renew the mind. Being born again is instantaneous. The salvation of the soul is a lifetime's work. Progress is made according to the believer's diligence and willingness to change. God works to bring that about if there is a lack.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Acts 2 is not about unbelievers becoming believers. It is addressing believers what they must do (repent and be baptized) to receive the Holy Spirit and to be separated from the generation that committed the unpardonable sin (Matthew 12). who is facing God's judgment, for rejecting the kingdom of God, for rejecting Jesus as the promised Messiah.

Not a single mention in Acts 2 about believing in Jesus for Eternal Life.

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.”

I honestly don't know where you get some of this from. It says one thing but it really means the opposite. If repentance isn't necessary, why all this talk of repentance? Why is the word even in the bible? If you read Ephesians chapter 2 you'll see that the Ephesians repented of all of the things they did before. Why would they repent if they didn't have to?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I honestly don't know where you get some of this from. It says one thing but it really means the opposite. If repentance isn't necessary, why all this talk of repentance? Why is the word even in the bible? If you read Ephesians chapter 2 you'll see that the Ephesians repented of all of the things they did before. Why would they repent if they didn't have to?
-
Where is the word repentance, in The Gospel of John, the only book of The Bible whose stated purpose for being written, was to tell people how to have life (eternal life).

Where is Paul's repentance on the road to Damascus, when he was evangelized by Jesus.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
-
Where is the word repentance, in The Gospel of John, the only book of The Bible whose stated purpose for being written, was to tell people how to have life (eternal life).

Where is Paul's repentance on the road to Damascus, when he was evangelized by Jesus.

Paul spoke of his own repentance in Ephesians 2 when he said "we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others". That he once did those things meant that he did not do those things any longer. Neither did the Ephesians. They had repented. Paul went so far with his repentance he said to the Corinthians "I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified". He knew that if he returned to those past ways he would "become disqualified".

That is not a man without repentance.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Looks like you can not see this is addressing physical death for the born again child of God. Specifically Jewish believers who were considering leaving the faith and going back into Judaism. God will judge them if they do this and may take their physical earthly life.

Noting in Hebrews about a born again child of God becoming un-born and no longer being a child of God.
What about James 5:19-20? Obviously the death of a person’s soul is not referring to just a physical death. The death of a soul only occurs in the lake of fire.

“My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.”
‭‭James‬ ‭5‬:‭19‬-‭20‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

“Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭10‬:‭28‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul spoke of his own repentance in Ephesians 2 when he said "we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others". That he once did those things meant that he did not do those things any longer. Neither did the Ephesians. They had repented. Paul went so far with his repentance he said to the Corinthians "I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified". He knew that if he returned to those past ways he would "become disqualified".

Paul also wrote to Timothy and told him if we deny Him, He will deny us.

“It is a trustworthy statement: For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him; If we endure, we will also reign with Him; If we deny Him, He also will deny us; If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2‬:‭11‬-‭13‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

This is proof that Paul taught that even himself and Timothy were capable of being denied by Christ.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

-
The disqualified is concerning a reward of a kingdom ruling position disqualifying, not being disqualified for Eternal Life. You are really reaching to support your obedience salvation beliefs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
What this priest (in the video) does not understand about Matthew 25, where he references the sheep and goats, Jesus states He was hungry, thirsty. a stranger, naked, sick, in prison.

Is, this is about looking after and helping believing Jews who will be persecuted during the tribulation and not helping poor people in general.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
-
What this priest (in the video) does not understand about Matthew 25, where he references the sheep and goats, Jesus states He was hungry, thirsty. a stranger, naked, sick, in prison.

Is, this is about looking after and helping believing Jews who will be persecuted during the tribulation and not helping poor people in general.
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
How did you arrive at this conclusion?
-
It is stated in the account that Jesus will gather the nations together. Nations is a gentile term, no Jews will be at this judgment, because all living Jews are believers in Jesus

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
-
It is stated in the account that Jesus will gather the nations together. Nations is a gentile term, no Jews will be at this judgment, because all living Jews are believers in Jesus
The term “all nations” does not exclude the Jews, it’s inclusive to both Jews and Gentiles. The believing Jews will simply be placed on the right with the rest of the sheep. The Jews will also stand before Christ on Judgement Day, some of them will be accused by Moses.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟623,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul also wrote to Timothy and told him if we deny Him, He will deny us.

“It is a trustworthy statement: For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him; If we endure, we will also reign with Him; If we deny Him, He also will deny us; If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2‬:‭11‬-‭13‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

This is proof that Paul taught that even himself and Timothy were capable of being denied by Christ.
But the question is, if Paul who was living with Christ, not denying Christ, and faithful to Christ the day he wrote that, died that day, would he have been saved and gone to heaven?

The question isn't will you go to heaven when you die eventually years from now. But rather will you go to haven if you drop dead this very minute?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But the question is, if Paul who was living with Christ, not denying Christ, and faithful to Christ the day he wrote that, died that day, would he have been saved and gone to heaven?

The question isn't will you go to heaven when you die eventually years from now. But rather will you go to haven if you drop dead this very minute?
The point I was trying to make is that a person can lose their salvation. dtaylor doesn’t believe that is possible.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟623,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The point I was trying to make is that a person can lose their salvation. dtaylor doesn’t believe that is possible.
I understand. I really just wanted to explore the Orthodox view. But OSAS coming into it was inevitable.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand. I really just wanted to explore the Orthodox view. But OSAS coming into it was inevitable.
I do agree with what you said tho, Paul knew that he was saved at that time.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,203,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
-It is stated in the account that Jesus will gather the nations together. Nations is a gentile term, no Jews will be at this judgment, because all living Jews are believers in Jesus​
You do err, not knowing the Scriptures.

Romans 11:20-21

20 ”Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:​
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.”​

Verse 20 is referring to the Jews and how they were broken off because of unbelief.
Verse 21 warns us Gentile believers that if God spared not the natural branches we are to take heed that he will also not spare us.
Meaning, we can be broken off and not saved if we do not take heed.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,203,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Repentance is not a condition God requires a person must do to receive His free gift of Eternal Life, only belief in Jesus. So repentance has nothing to do with receiving eternal life.
This is not true.

Acts 11:18 says,

“When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying,​
Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.”​

It says that God has granted repentance unto life for the Gentiles. Life is eternal life.

Upvote 0