May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Well didn't last long did he? Who would have thought that policing people for their personal believes don't sit well with the PEOPLE. *Shock Pikachu face*.

Yet he was so adamant about it too. Every report will be investigated he insisted. While the nation is gripping with more pressing matters. He pressed on matters which have no grip. A clear case where ideology blinds you to the reality around you.

In fact he was not even voted in by the Scottish people. Just by his party. Can one say he truly represented Scottish people?

Anyway I'm glad he is out of the way. Maybe now Scotland can have a better First Minister who actually cares for the nation's overall well being.

Last edited:

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟115,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Well didn't last long did he? Who would have thought that policing people for their personal believes don't sit well with the PEOPLE. *Shock Pikachu face*.

Yet he was so adamant about it too. Every report will be investigated he insisted. While the nation is gripping with more pressing matters. He pressed on matters which have no grip. A clear case where ideology blinds you to the reality around you.

In fact he was not even voted in by the Scottish people. Just by his party. Can one say he truly represented Scottish people?

Anyway I'm glad he is out of the way. Maybe now Scotland can have a better First Minister who actually cares for the nation's overall well being.
I am gonna say this: It seems like the world is flirting with George Orwell's 1984.

Here is a Guardian Article about the Scottish National Party (SNP) and this Humza Yousaf guy. Not gonna summarize it, as the article is pretty short: SNP looks to unity candidate after Humza Yousaf quits as first minister

• Informative
Reactions: IceJad
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I am gonna say this: It seems like the world is flirting with George Orwell's 1984.

Here is a Guardian Article about the Scottish National Party (SNP) and this Humza Yousaf guy. Not gonna summarize it, as the article is pretty short: SNP looks to unity candidate after Humza Yousaf quits as first minister

People who go Orwellian are usually one of two types:

1. Those who want unlimited power from themselves
2. Those who have a saviour complex thinking they have all the answers

And I don't know which I fear more.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟115,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People who go Orwellian are usually one of two types:

1. Those who want unlimited power from themselves
2. Those who have a saviour complex thinking they have all the answers

And I don't know which I fear more.
I fear both 1 and 2 equally.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟293,749.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Bumza Useless gets the boot because he's incompetent and dismissed his coalition partner.

This is the same man who complained that all major political positions were filled with white Scots, a country which is like 99 percent Scottish.

Couldn't have happened to a worse person.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Bumza Useless gets the boot because he's incompetent and dismissed his coalition partner.

This is the same man who complained that all major political positions were filled with white Scots, a country which is like 99 percent Scottish.

Couldn't have happened to a worse person.

Too bad he didn't get investigated using his own hate crime law. Closeted racist IMHO.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
United Kingdom
✟229,061.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

In the UK, we vote for local MPs. Parties choose their own leader. He was elected, in an election, by the electorate.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ummm...

That's how parliamentary systems work. Doesn't your country have a prime minister? Do you get to vote for PM?

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Ummm...

That's how parliamentary systems work. Doesn't your country have a prime minister? Do you get to vote for PM?

I don't get to vote for my prime minister. And I'm not exalting my system. In fact I find it a detriment that the majority party get to push their preferred candidate through. I vote for a representative in parliament not who would lead the country. I would prefer to have a choice in that.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟115,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My thought is that they are off topic and not news.
That is understandable, and yes, analysis of the types of political systems is not news. :) If anyone wants, I could post a thread in the Ethics or International Politics forum about the pros and potential cons of direct democracies another day, and we could discuss there, if you want. Anyways, it is getting late here, so I hope you have a wonderful night, brother.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
In the UK, we vote for local MPs. Parties choose their own leader. He was elected, in an election, by the electorate.

He was not elected in by a national election. There was only an internal election within the party when the previous stepped down. The people didn't get to choose whether they wanted to continue supporting the party with a new leader.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't get to vote for my prime minister. And I'm not exalting my system. In fact I find it a detriment that the majority party get to push their preferred candidate through. I vote for a representative in parliament not who would lead the country. I would prefer to have a choice in that.
The nature of parliamentary systems and whether you (or I) like it is not relevant.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
United Kingdom
✟229,061.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
He was not elected in by a national election. There was only an internal election within the party when the previous stepped down. The people didn't get to choose whether they wanted to continue supporting the party with a new leader.
Parliamentary democracy is a simple concept that even British children can understand. Are you having difficulty with it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The nature of parliamentary systems and whether you (or I) like it is not relevant.

Even that Humza is not voted in during an election cycle. It was an internal party choice. How sure are you that the Scottish people will still vote for the same party with Humza as the lead? They didn't get to. So my statement still stands. Can you say he is a representative of Scottish people?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Parliamentary democracy is a simple concept that even British children can understand. Are you having difficulty with it?

Unfortunately when the British colonized us, we borrowed their systems. I understand full well how it works. Doesn't mean I agree to it. I wish we follow a more American style.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Even that Humza is not voted in during an election cycle. It was an internal party choice. How sure are you that the Scottish people who still vote for the same party with Humza as the lead? They didn't get to. So my statement still stands. Can you say he is a representative of Scottish people?
So what? The "people" didn't vote for Mike Johnson to be Speaker, most of us couldn't have picked him out of a group of pastors. Yet, he is speaker. The head of a legislature is who they are. They are picked by the members. If there is a vacancy the members pick a new leader. (I'd never heard of the Humza guy anyway.)

I'm not sure why anyone non-Scottish would acutally care. I don't know or care who the Premiers of the various Canadian providences are, so why would it matter who heads a British one.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So what? The "people" didn't vote for Mike Johnson to be Speaker, most of us couldn't have picked him out of a group of pastors. Yet, he is speaker. The head of a legislature is who they are. They are picked by the members. If there is a vacancy the members pick a new leader. (I'd never heard of the Humza guy anyway.)

I'm not sure why anyone non-Scottish would acutally care. I don't know or care who the Premiers of the various Canadian providences are, so why would it matter who heads a British one.

One is a speaker the other the leader of the nation. Kinda a big gap there don't you think?

I care for the same reason you replied to me. Voicing opinions.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
One is a speaker the other the leader of the nation. Kinda a big gap there don't you think?

I care for the same reason you replied to me. Voicing opinions.
Both head a legislature. Your problem (you problem with your country's system) is that the head of the legislature is head of government.

Upvote 0