How do you Identify Wolves in Sheep's Clothing?

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus warned us to watch out for wolves in sheep's clothing. Clearly this means identifying people who claim to be Christians but inwardly are ravening wolves. So are there any New Testament examples of people who were exposed as wolves in sheep's clothing? Some come to my mind, but I don't know if they fit the description.

Paul warns us, too. He says that in the last days perilous times shall come. Do we all agree that we are in the last days? Isn't this important to recognize.

2Ti 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Ti 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Ti 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Ti 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.​

They have a form of godliness, but deny the power of God... ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Paul said,

1Ti 1:19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
1Ti 1:20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.​

Would you consider them wolves in sheep's clothing or just backsliders?

Paul said that Demas had forsaken him, having loved this present world and departed for Thessalonica (2 Tim. 4:10). Would that be a wolf, or simply a backslider?

What about the people that joined in the agape feasts that Jude refers to?

Jud 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. ....

Jud 1:8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities. ....

Jud 1:10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves. ...

Jud 1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;
Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.​

Those are harsh words regarding people who are calling themselves Christians to be in their fellowship.

This is spiritual discernment and I believe every serious follower of Christ should have it. So help me understand what clues will demonstrate a wolf in sheep's clothing. Your feed back is greatly appreciated.

Faith Alone 1 Cor 15:1-4

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wolf is wolf , sheep is sheep , since you become sheep you are always sheep (eternal security ) , sheep can't become wolf , they must been backsliders , or people who lost thier crown Revelation 3:11 2 Timothy 4:7-8

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus warned us to watch out for wolves in sheep's clothing. Clearly this means identifying people who claim to be Christians but inwardly are ravening wolves. So are there any New Testament examples of people who were exposed as wolves in sheep's clothing? Some come to my mind, but I don't know if they fit the description.

Paul warns us, too. He says that in the last days perilous times shall come. Do we all agree that we are in the last days? Isn't this important to recognize.

2Ti 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Ti 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Ti 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Ti 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

They have a form of godliness, but deny the power of God... ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Paul said,

1Ti 1:19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
1Ti 1:20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.​

Paul said that Demas had forsaken him, having loved this present world and departed for Thessalonica (2 Tim. 4:10). Would that be a wolf, or simply a backslider?

Jud 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. ....

Jud 1:8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities. ....

Jud 1:10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves. ...

Jud 1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;
Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.​

Those are harsh words regarding people who are calling themselves Christians to be in their fellowship.

This is spiritual discernment and I believe every serious follower of Christ should have it. So help me understand what clues will demonstrate a wolf in sheep's clothing. Your feed back is greatly appreciated.
A wolf divides the flock... think of a herd of sheep and here comes the wolf. What does the flock do? It scatters... and that is the picture Yeshua was sharing. When somebody comes in causing division and strife and the congregation witnesses division... there is a wolf in the house.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A wolf divides the flock... think of a herd of sheep and here comes the wolf. What does the flock do? It scatters... and that is the picture Yeshua was sharing. When somebody comes in causing division and strife and the congregation witnesses division... there is a wolf in the house.
Doesn't that make Jesus a bit of a wolf in the House of Israel?
I mean, division is not necessarily caused by wolves.
A good teacher can cause division too i.m.o.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Paul said,

I feel a wolf in sheeps clothing is someone who tries to seem innocent but has the intention of hurting someone.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

MonstersvsMartyrs

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Matthew 7
15“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?17Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

John 13:35
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

1 John 4
Denying the Incarnation

1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirita of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

God’s Love and Ours

7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

13This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God.16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

19We love because he first loved us.20Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. 21And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.

1 Corinthians 3:12
3Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

Deuteronomy 18
You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” 22If what a prophet proclaims in the name of theLord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed.

Upvote 0

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Why would good sheepherd cause sheep to run away from him , most likelly wolfes will run away .

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good point but no obviously. One word can have many meanings and applications. So I should be more concise... a wolf will divide but also destroy. Messiah can and does also divide but never destroys.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why would good sheepherd cause sheep to run away from him , most likelly wolfes will run away .

I think this is what he meant.

Luke 10:2-3

2 "Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

3 Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves."

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟347,926.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be therefore prudent as serpents and guileless as doves.
Genesis 3:1
Now the serpent was more crafty than every other animal of the field which Jehovah God had made. And he said to the woman, Did God really say, You shall not eat of any tree of the garden?
Song of Songs 2:14
My dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the covert of the precipice, Let me see your countenance, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, And your countenance is lovely.
John 1:32
And John testified, saying, I beheld the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He abode upon Him.

Not sparing the flock wolves come in fiercly to harm with ill-intentions. Christ says to expect and deflect because many sheep are among the wolves just as tares are among the wheat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Paul said,

Wolves attack/injure/kill/scatter/harm the sheep ...

Reactions: Joy
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think you bring up an excellent point.

Want to recognize a wolf? What do wolves do?

I would add not only do wolves scatter the sheep, but they devour them. To me, the most obvious wolves are those who fatten themselves in some way by feeding upon the flock. Before anyone jumps to one conclusion or another, I've seen this done both from those who who lead, and from those who follow. It can be done in a number of ways.

I can't judge anyone's heart. But I can see destructive practices sometimes that scatter, devour, make poor materially or spiritually. We must be on guard against such as that.

God be with you all.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good point but no obviously. One word can have many meanings and applications. So I should be more concise... a wolf will divide but also destroy. Messiah can and does also divide but never destroys.
Well He didn't come to bring peace, but the sword, is what He said.
And He will definitely destroy when He returns.
My point is not stating Jesus Christ was a wolf in that respect,
my point is that somebody causing division within a group of people who consider themselves Christians is not necessarily a wolf.
But then again, i think they often are wolves...
I think there are better indicators, like what they teach (or fail to teach) and if they're arrogant or not, and enriching themselves or not, etcetera.
They are false sheppards i.m.o., who in stead of care and herd the flock, mislead them into wrong directions.
But maybe my definition is not accurate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bryce Harris

Jun 19, 2016
Texas
✟15,461.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus said that you'll know them by their fruits. Meaning that a good tree cannot produce evil fruit. And a bad tree cannot produce good fruit. So look at their beliefs, if their beliefs do not match the word of God then you know no matter how good they may look on the outside that they are an evil tree who ought to get cut down and cast into the fire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wolf is wolf , sheep is sheep , since you become sheep you are always sheep (eternal security ) , sheep can't become wolf , they must been backsliders , or people who lost thier crown Revelation 3:11 2 Timothy 4:7-8
Thank you. I agree, however, a wolf in sheep's clothing is pretending to be a sheep for voracious intentions. So I am looking for clues to identify them.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Division between brethren is certainly hated by the Lord.

Pro 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: ...
Pro 6:19 .... and he that soweth discord among brethren.

• Agree
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you. I agree, however, a wolf in sheep's clothing is pretending to be a sheep for voracious intentions. So I am looking for clues to identify them.
This wolf will give bad fruit of his work . If you find bad wolf preaching something contradictory to the word of truth then you can cath him and reveal him .

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes if division is the only criteria. But a wolf has ulterior motives, I think.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By their fruit you will recognize them.
So, what kind of fruit will that be? What is bad fruit?
if you love one another.
And how is love demonstrated? There are many who say they love others, and could even act like they do.

Denying the Incarnation
Certainly true of cults.

no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
I had a man try to convince me that the only way to God was to use the Hebrew and call Jesus, Yahweh ben Yahweh. The Lord brought that verse to mind and I demanded that he tell me that Jesus is Lord and he refused and walked away.

If what a prophet proclaims in the name of theLord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously,
This would have to be a future prophecy, that only time could tell, and may not tell. Much of Isaiah's prophecies were not fulfilled until 500 years later, long past the lives of the hearers.

Upvote 0