Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
Ahh!! Somebody keep VOW out of this thread. ;) If you don't, I'll probably end up gaining about 50 lbs before the end of my pregnancy! :D Just kidding. I love to read her recipes! :)

I like to cut slits on the inside of my turkey and put garlic cloves in there. Also, sticking some fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc) up under the skin. We don't stuff the bird.

I don't really have a favorite holiday recipe. I like almost all of it (excepting MIL's candied yams, and I just plain hate candied yams).

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I make stuffing! The best part of the bird is the stuffing! I also make a separate batch of stuffing that has chopped up dried fruit in it (apples, golden raisins, apricots) for my vegetarian daughter and her BF. That separate batch of stuffing gets stuffed into a small pumpkin. I try to find one that has WHITE skin, because my DD says the flesh is much sweeter than the ordinary pumpkin. I hollow out the pumpkin, rinse it, pat it dry, and then cram in the stuffing and bake it all until I can easily poke a fork in the pumpkin meat.

I take after my mother too much to give a recipe for stuffing. I use whatever I have, and make it work, LOL. Basically, it's bread cubes, diced celery and onion, garlic, seasoned salt, a bit of white pepper, whatever fresh herbs I can find (thyme, sage, basil, rosemary, tarragon, etc etc etc), a couple of eggs, and enough broth to get it all gooped together. Sometimes I'll reserve a pan of stuffing outside the bird and put dried red peppers in it. My dad loves hot spicy food, so I'll fix a pan of WOWEE stuffing just for him.

For the pumpkin stuffing, I will cut back on the herbs and add just a TOUCH of cinnamon and maybe a teensy dash of clove.

Sure smells good in my kitchen!!

Peace,
~VOW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jul 26, 2002
Canada
✟42,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was going to suggest a sweet potato pie recipe my sister got from her MIL.

I also made a great drink topper this year for T'giving. A can of frozen cranberry cocktail, small tub of frozen raspberries, juice and zest of one orange, and 1 1/2 cup of cold water. Freeze that in tubs, and once it is frozen, shave it in an ice-shaver, or with a veggie peeler. Top a wine-glass full of apple juice with a couple small scoops of the shaved ice, it's amazing.

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
I've got a great recipe for leftovers... and I developed a new version of my favorite sweet potato casserole - low sugar/fat!!!

Sweet Potato Casserole

sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
flaked coconut
finely chopped pecans

Boil your sweet potatoes in a little bit of water until tender. Pour off water. Whip with a tiny bit of butter/margarine and milk until fluffy. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Put into casserole. In a skillet, toast coconut flakes and pecans lightly (until a light brown). Bake uncovered at 400 until casserole is hot again, and coconut begins to brown nicely (golden brown).

This differs significantly from my aunt's in that it has no added sugar, and the topping doesn't have extra butter. :)

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,786,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AMIE:

Here is the rice recipe you asked for:
WILD RICE STUFFING AND WHITE WINE GRAVY FOR TURKEY

STUFFING:
2-6oz pkg long graind and wild rice mix (Uncle Ben's makes this)
1/4 C butter/ margarine
8 oz Canadian bacon, diced (about 1 2/3 cups)
1/2 cup sliced green onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I just use the dried stuff, about 1 T)

Prepare wild rice mix according to package directions. In large skillet melt butter, add bacon, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir until bacon is golden and onion is tender Stir in white wine, parlsey, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stuff bird. Bake any additional stuffing in covered casserole the last 30 minutes of roasting.

GRAVY (This is really good!):
3T cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp instant chicken boulilon (sp) granules
3/4 c dry white wine
1/4 C sliced green onion

Skim fat from turkey juices. Add water to juices to measure 2 cups liquid. In med. saucepan place cornstarch, boulloin crystals, white wine. Add pan juices and green onion. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Season with pepper.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟23,406.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Avila
We loooove a man who knows how to cook!!! :)

OTTTAYYYY...yah asked for it!!! :D

Amy, Vow...this one's especially for you:

SMILIN'S HOW TO COOK A POSSUM RECIPE

1. Obtain one possum (freshly shot, live, or roadkill)

2. Burn off all hair with blowtorch

3. Obtain one two by four

4. Place possum on end of two by four...

5. Salt and pepper lightly

6. Build Huge Raging Bondfire...arrr arrr arrr

7. Cook possum on two by four in bonfire for 30 minutes.

8.  Throw away possum

9. Enjoy the two-by-four!

HAPPPY HOLIDAYS LADIES!!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟23,406.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Anna...
1. You can't dance
2. You can't cook
3. You dress aggressively not impressively...

i.e....you are not gay...

We all know Klingons eat everything raw and still wriggling...(wipe your Chin..there's a wormy thing hangin outta your mouth)

Upvote 0