London
✟79,983.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake.
After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.
1 Kings 19:11-12

How do I respond to someone who says God spoke to them and said, when clearly this is not in scripture or anything remotely Christian?
I have listened to Arminianism and Calvinism, and both are right, from a perspective.
Scripture is so full of different experiences and views it is difficult to take it in, yet it is all connected.

Grace is important, and aiming at perfection, struggling through hard times, counting ones blessing and passing through times of testing.
Some seem contradictions, but the light has dawned. Jesus was not interested in status, if acknowledging who He was, but beginning to
see everything is a walk, either into life or into death. And He is patient, kind but also a destroying fire, something to be feared but also
loved. Until we can see as Jesus sees, how can we come close to knowledge or insight.
So loving people are condemned by ardent followers of Jesus, enough to execute them. Who did God judge? Nineveh because of its
sinful behaviour, not its beliefs.

A sign of Gods people is their love one for another. For some groups miracles is their sign, but they are making enemies of loving people.

Jesus's test of followers of the Lord was that they loved those who love others, and if they do not love God, they hate people of love.
It is ironic if the people who claim to know God, become righteous people of violence against their evil enemies which is the ultimate
judging of another and condemning them of sin and evil while claiming they are clean and righteous so justified in holding this position.

God bless you

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do I respond to someone who says God spoke to them and said, when clearly this is not in scripture or anything remotely Christian?​

I usually reserve judgment when someone says that God has spoken to them. Scripture records stories of God speaking to people, so presumably this can still happen. At the same time, I have no good way of assessing whether God has spoken to this particular person in front of me with the message that they are telling me.

So I usually fall back on assessing the message itself -- does it seem like sound advice, a good way to carry out the mission of God in the world, or is it contrary to the teaching of Jesus in some way?

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,983.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I usually reserve judgment when someone says that God has spoken to them. Scripture records stories of God speaking to people, so presumably this can still happen. At the same time, I have no good way of assessing whether God has spoken to this particular person in front of me with the message that they are telling me.

So I usually fall back on assessing the message itself -- does it seem like sound advice, a good way to carry out the mission of God in the world, or is it contrary to the teaching of Jesus in some way?
Today I took this idea a next level on. Context matters, but in what way does it matter?
A theme has developed in my thinking, which is expressed in various denominational trends. Are we victims of our sinfulness, adrift in the world tempted but redeemed, or are we built new creations who can cope with the world and react as Jesus reacted?

One model suggests surrender to revelation, and following the strong leader, and the other is we ourselves are built up and our character filters out that which is the Lord and that which is not.

Paul's emphasises he is an example to follow in everything he does for the churches he visits. Paul follows Christs example. The parable of being yoked to Jesus is one of learning from Him how to react and then reacting in that way.

There is a story of a prophet sent to deliver a message but not stop to eat anything. Along the way another prophet says God has changed His mind and it is now ok to eat something. The sent prophet then eats something and is judged and a lion kills them. How is this just?

This is just because God does not change His mind and the sent prophet should have known the other prophet was lying. It is a small story but says something very fundamental to the Lords revelation. Principles and the totality of love matter, not a few words out of context. We are not dictated to vessels but people of the Most High.

Our emotional hearts want stability and no risks being taken, so denying change or facing hard facts about who we are is something to avoid. Often people are caught out by their behaviour which is their guilt not realising their reactions are because of unresolved life issues and broken relationships of their past. A simple example of this is PTSD soldiers often end up in very promiscuous relationships which are damaging because the pain and turmoil is too hard to face. Talking about simply sin and repentance does not go far enough.

God bless you

Upvote 0