Jan 29, 2010
✟841,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Alright, thank you. I'm glad we came to some little agreement here, even if you still dislike a compromise bill, you do agree that there is no practical reason why it can't be done.
Sure. there is. Republicans have no interest.

But, yes, one might be signed.

The resulting bill would probably include little Ukraine spending and many feature on the border side that democrats would hate.

My person political view is the very best idea for Democrats is to negotiate and pass a border security bill, and THEN force a vote on a Senate approved Ukraine bill.
=========
And the Democrats will not like the border security bill at all. That is what they get for waiting so long.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟841,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Alright, thank you. I'm glad we came to some little agreement here, even if you still dislike a compromise bill, you do agree that there is no practical reason why it can't be done.

I still believe that a compromise bill guaranteeing Ukraine funding would be only acceptable way that border security could be passed. I simply cannot trust the Republican party not to pull a fast one yet again. I obviously do not share the same concerns about border security that you do, and I don't believe I'll ever have the same view, but I'm glad we were able to at least come to some sort of understanding.

I do, unfortunately, fear the opposite of what you have expressed. I do think it is relatively likely that Democrats will end up givingRepublicans what they want, then Republicans will refuse to follow through on Ukraine aid. I hope I am wrong here, and that Democrats will display the resolve necessary to hold Republicans accountable.
Also, I've missed something. You seem to think that this a trade with both parties have equal pressure.

Why should the Republicans do anything until early next year?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟47,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sure. there is. Republicans have no interest.

But, yes, one might be signed.

The resulting bill would probably include little Ukraine spending and many feature on the border side that democrats would hate.

My person political view is the very best idea for Democrats is to negotiate and pass a border security bill, and THEN force a vote on a Senate approved Ukraine bill.
=========
And the Democrats will not like the border security bill at all. That is what they get for waiting so long.

I guess what I'm getting at is I don't care that Republicans have no interest - They can't get one passed on their own, despite a majority in the house, otherwise it would have happened already. They have to work with Democrats to pass a border bill in the House, since they clearly can't rely on their Republican majority. And if they want support from the Dems, they should be willing to give Dems what they want, as well.

I don't think we'll ever agree on a border security bill being first, second, or concurrent I suppose - I think doing so just means that Ukraine funding will never happen, since I do not trust the Republican party.

Also, I've missed something. You seem to think that this a trade with both parties have equal pressure.

Why should the Republicans do anything until early next year?
Republicans could choose to have the government shut down come November and continue it for a while - If they're willing to bear the backlash they'll face. McCarthy knew that his party couldn't afford that backlash, hence why he made the last minute plead to Dems to save him with the CR.

I also think that there's a decent chance that Republicans fail to get their party together to support a new Speaker, so if Dems are gonna have to bail out Republicans by voting with them, Dems should force concessions from Republicans.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟841,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess what I'm getting at is I don't care that Republicans have no interest - They can't get one passed on their own, despite a majority in the house, otherwise it would have happened already..
Corrrect.

It is clear to everyone that only one thing prevents border security; The Democratic Party.

The Republicans are in no rush to give up their #1 campaign issue. They will give up the issue if the Democrats would agree to a bill with the terms that they want.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟841,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess what I'm getting at is I don't care that Republicans have no interest - They can't get one passed on their own, despite a majority in the house, otherwise it would have happened already. They have to work with Democrats to pass a border bill in the House, since they clearly can't rely on their Republican majority. And if they want support from the Dems, they should be willing to give Dems what they want, as well.

I don't think we'll ever agree on a border security bill being first, second, or concurrent I suppose - I think doing so just means that Ukraine funding will never happen, since I do not trust the Republican party.

Republicans could choose to have the government shut down come November and continue it for a while - If they're willing to bear the backlash they'll face. McCarthy knew that his party couldn't afford that backlash, hence why he made the last minute plead to Dems to save him with the CR.

I also think that there's a decent chance that Republicans fail to get their party together to support a new Speaker, so if Dems are gonna have to bail out Republicans by voting with them, Dems should force concessions from Republicans.
Ukraine funding doesn't require that you trust the Republican Party. Ukraine funding will likely happen this year, with significant funding through 2024, probably more than anything Biden can push through at the moment. Ukraine might be part of the budget bill that is rammed through at the last minute. MUCH BETTER would be if the Democrats in the House find 5 Republicans to support forcing a vote on funding Ukraine.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟334,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ukraine funding doesn't require that you trust the Republican Party. Ukraine funding will likely happen this year, with significant funding through 2024, probably more than anything Biden can push through at the moment. Ukraine might be part of the budget bill that is rammed through at the last minute. MUCH BETTER would be if the Democrats in the House find 5 Republicans to support forcing a vote on funding Ukraine.
The issue is that no Ukraine funding bill will be voted on in the House if the new Speaker, whoever it might be, refuses to bring it up for a vote. If I understand part of what happened, it is claimed that McCarthy made a deal to pass the continuing resolution on the budget and afterward bring up a vote on Ukraine funding. McCarthy got his continuing resolution, with Democrats voting for it, but didn't bring the Ukraine funding up for a vote. When Democrats, to include the President, commented on it, McCarthy claimed to Republicans that no such deal was made -- likely knowing that he'd be removed for making that deal.

Republicans appeared not to believe him, anyway (at least the 8 that voted against him) and, like to stay in power, McCarthy didn't bring up the Ukraine funding. This appears to be why Democrats didn't vote to keep McCarthy (and maybe part of why McCarthy thought they would, because then he'd call a vote on the Ukraine package) -- because McCarthy hasn't kept his word, kept deals that Democrats thought he had made on the budget/debt ceiling and vote on Ukraine aid.

I think it is very possible that a new Speaker may again have to make a deal with Gaetz and his wing of the party, which will include promises not to bring Ukraine aid up for a vote.

• Winner
Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Knives out! Choose your favorite GOP faction and place your bets.
Nancy Mace's move to join seven hardliners in ousting Kevin McCarthy is confusing her colleagues about her political persona — and prompting active calls for revenge.

Nancy Mace Wears ‘Scarlet Letter’ After McCarthy Vote

When asked about what the letter stood for, Mace said: “I’m wearing the scarlet letter after the week I just had being a woman up here, and being demonized for my vote and for my voice.”

Glad we know who the real victim is. Curious about the 'being a woman' comment -- has she faced some gendered opprobrium from her fellow Republicans? I don't know of any, not that Rep. Mace is someone I follow closely.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,453,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Nancy Mace Wears ‘Scarlet Letter’ After McCarthy Vote

When asked about what the letter stood for, Mace said: “I’m wearing the scarlet letter after the week I just had being a woman up here, and being demonized for my vote and for my voice.”

Glad we know who the real victim is. Curious about the 'being a woman' comment -- has she faced some gendered opprobrium from her fellow Republicans? I don't know of any, not that Rep. Mace is someone I follow closely.

I understand Mace was previously in the military and had to deal with sexual abuse. From the report I heard on the radio, she has an independent streak - politically.

Correction, it wasn't the military, rather, she was the first woman to attend The Citadel.

Mace has stated that she was raped by a classmate at the age of 16.[6] In 1999, Mace became the first woman to graduate from The Citadel's Corps of Cadets program,[5] receiving a degree in business administration.[7] Mace wrote In the Company of Men: A Woman at The Citadel (Simon & Schuster, 2001) about the experience.

Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟47,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
1697563741849.png

Republicans finally wanted to try a Speaker vote again - It went about as well as you could expect for Jim Jordan.
So far, 13 members of his party have voted for someone else as Speaker.

Republicans sure know how to govern. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟841,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟184,552.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

MotoToTheMax

Nov 3, 2022
United States
✟69,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
LOL It will be fun if the democtat wins the speaker chair!
Funny yes, but so unlikely to happen. Requires a few Reps to vote Dem which is just not expected to happen, reasonably so.

• Agree
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟841,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL It will be fun if the democrat wins the speaker chair!
won't happen

If there continues to be a deadlock, Republicans will need Democrat help. One trade might be that any bill received from the Senate with at least 60 votes needs to be brought to the floor for a vote within 48 hours.

As an aside, Dems should ask for a rules change that will help the Speaker, needs at least 20 votes needed for a vote to vacate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟841,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Right now there is a coalition of Republicans who have agreed to vote against Jordan. Other Republicans are now threatening them with primary challenges, etc. We'll see how much of a spine they have.
There is a good chance that Jordan's vote will go down, now that folks see that there is so much opposition.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Knives out! Choose your favorite GOP faction and place your bets.

GOP House devolves into angry round of retribution following McCarthy’s ouster

‘Mean girl on a revenge tour’: Kevin McCarthy has knives out for his ‘Gaetz 8’ tormentors

“He’s acting like a mean girl on a revenge tour,” Mace told Raw Story.

Super Tuesday provides McCarthyites an opportunity: Three of the House GOP’s “Gaetz Eight,” as they’ve been dubbed in some corners of Capitol Hill, are on their state’s respective primary ballots. More primaries will soon follow.

While a longshot, McCarthy’s set on exacting revenge at the ballot box and knocking them out. He’s raising campaign cash for their primary opponents, rallying the old GOP guard to challenge these incumbents and, whenever possible, undercutting and belittling them with what little stature the third shortest serving speaker in U.S. history still maintains.

Others in the party are angry, especially because they say the former speaker amassed huge sums of political money purely because donors trusted him to help maintain Republicans' majority in the House.

Yes... Ha ha ha... Yes!

• Haha
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0